Remember the Clarksonesque Challenge?

What's Hot
12345679»

Comments

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27604
    It would absolutely @jookychap but it's possibly a bit too early. Anniv date is Aug 3rd, and I'm guessing people will need / want a bit longer.

Though, as things stand, it's looking like a straight fight between you & Wezv.  And me of course ...
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JookyChapJookyChap Frets: 4234
    (Thinks: Hmm, I could well come fourth in a three-horse-race here..)

Roll-up chaps, get your arses in gear.. :)

• steamabacussteamabacus Frets: 1266
    Hmmm, mulling over the 12-string strat. Minimal woodworking needed with that headstock (which is a Very Good Thing with me).
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27604
    imalone said:
    IanSavage said:
    I'm umming-and-ahing about whether I can justify it - moving into a studio flat and keeping a lot of stuff at the other half's I'm not totally sure that I'll have room to do a project then keep it once it's finished! I DO love a Challenge, though...
    This is my problem too. Would like to make a guitar, not sure what to do with it once it's finished.
    To be brutally honest, and as a comment on the likely quality of the raw materials in the kit rather than anyone's talents, I'd say that it's unlikely that any completed guitar would rival a decent PRS for playability, sound quality, or even appearance.  

So, don't be building one thinking that you're going to save the £2k that you put aside for that "special" guitar.

The real value will be in learning how a guitar is put together - or how to put one together properly - and all the set-up practice that you're going to get by working on it.  And you'll be taking no risks by working (and potentially screwing up) a decent guitar - you'll be working on something pretty cheap and basic.

Of course, once put together and set-up and playing nicely, you're going to use it to practice all the mods that you can ever think of.  Want to try some new p'ups, or a new switching arrangements, or use something to practice finishes on, or any other weird plan that you can dream up.  All on a guitar that, if you screw it up, won't cause you quite so many tears.

You can read all the books, watch all the YT vids, talk about it with us ... but the best way of learning how to make a guitar play really well is to work on one, practically, get your hands and tools on it and try stuff out.

We'll have a good few people involved in the challenge who'll be giving tips & advice and general problem-solving suggestions, so you'll not be on your own!

Did that read as a hard sell ??
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • imaloneimalone Frets: 748
    TTony said:
    imalone said:
    IanSavage said:
    I'm umming-and-ahing about whether I can justify it - moving into a studio flat and keeping a lot of stuff at the other half's I'm not totally sure that I'll have room to do a project then keep it once it's finished! I DO love a Challenge, though...
    This is my problem too. Would like to make a guitar, not sure what to do with it once it's finished.
    To be brutally honest, and as a comment on the likely quality of the raw materials in the kit rather than anyone's talents, I'd say that it's unlikely that any completed guitar would rival a decent PRS for playability, sound quality, or even appearance.  

So, don't be building one thinking that you're going to save the £2k that you put aside for that "special" guitar.

The real value will be in learning how a guitar is put together - or how to put one together properly - and all the set-up practice that you're going to get by working on it.  And you'll be taking no risks by working (and potentially screwing up) a decent guitar - you'll be working on something pretty cheap and basic.

I know, more that I'm not sure what to physically do with another guitar! My last partscaster emigrated to live with my parents...
    It is tempting though.
    All good reasons for other people to get involved too.
  • I'm in then. I shan't be part of the competition itself but I'll have a token go when I'm back in the country at the end of August. I'll order bits before I go.

I'll still make a thread and all that, as I've been looking forward to this for a long time :)
  • oddballoddball Frets: 248
    LA Strat ordered - will be ordering other bits once I have it and have decided what's good and what's for the bin
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16716
    My kit is apparently being delivered today.   I am not in but hopefully the neighbors will take it in, eitehr way i should have it this week and will do a full unpacking and initial assesment post
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16716
    for those on the fence, I have just uploaded a load of pics of the cheap tele kit to my challenge thread.   Its pretty good for the money, a couple of little gripes but overall I am really happy.   its a great base for a challenge like this
  • GuitarMonkeyGuitarMonkey Frets: 1883
    I'm in but I can't justify/afford buying the kit (really!)

I do have some bits of wood and parts knocking around - would that be okay if I pay my entrance fee?
  • imaloneimalone Frets: 748
    Should we be promoting this in other fora? (I've tried promoting it in flora, but it was hard to wash off.)
  • oddballoddball Frets: 248
    Got the kit this morning - new baby due tomorrow then at least a week off so should be able to make a good start on it
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom