2020 Fretboard Virtual Running Club

What's Hot

Comments

• Iamnobody said:

Off and on for me, but I went out for an hour or so this morning, down to the Transporter Bridge and back, after being inspired by Liam Gallagher, who doesn't wear a running watch. I think I'm at the stage where consistency is the top priority anyway. I've left the watch at home before, it can be quite refreshing as long as you can deal with going a bit too far if you decide to go exploring.
    Richard Askwith’s book is decent for inspiring running without concentrating on stats etc.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Running-Free-Runners-Journey-Nature/dp/0224091964/ref=nodl_
    Thanks for that. Yes I seem to get the most enjoyment if and when I can do running like that. I find it takes a certain level of fitness. I've gone exploring before, but only when I knew I had at least a half marathon in my legs at any time.

I've not been too bad lately though. I carried on running down by the river, which is pretty mindless but sometimes gives lovely views of the river and docks in the early dawn. Then yesterday I went for a slightly longer run in the opposite direction.

As far as footwear goes, I'm in F-lite 195s now - close enough to the ground but no chance of rubbing in the wet or getting bruises on the soles of my feet.
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6906
    mcsdan said:
    Had a few weeks out. I slipped running up a hill that was really muddy 3 weeks ago and pulled my adductor (inside thigh) which has taken a while to settle. Had physio and about 90-95% there now. I've done a few easy walks in the last week to get moving and help with recovery. I'm hoping another couple of days and I'll be good to go. 

Next races aren't until May 2021 so would like to be back training beginning of December. Rather let my leg heal properly than rushing back in.

Good to hear others are still out there running. :)
    Sorry to hear that glad it’s getting better. It’s frustrating when you can’t get out - especially for someone with your level of commitment. 

The first quarter of this year I was plagued with injury - all my own fault and ignorance of course. Did slip on the autumn leaves recently though and hurt my ankle for a day or two - nothing serious. But it prompted the purchase of the trail shoe.
    Previously known as stevebrum
  • mcsdanmcsdan Frets: 451
    @Iamnobody thanks :)  I had "summer" trail shoes on which are normally good upto about September before I switch over to proper mud trail trainers. Annoyingly I'd been out the day before in the same trainers and they were fine on the same terrain but it rained heavy over night and ground was much wetter than I anticipated. 99/100 times it would have just been a slip and nothing else. Anyway, all part of running off road and a rest is good - time to catch up with guitar!

Better to have some time out now, heal properly and then back to training rather than carrying an on going injury through the build to next set of races.
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3920
    I’m still in. Put a few pounds on mind. I was getting a bit hangry on occasion so upped my cals. Down to around 3x 5kms per week at the moment too. Oh God it’s all going south innit!?
    edited November 2020
    Iamnobody said:

Off and on for me, but I went out for an hour or so this morning, down to the Transporter Bridge and back, after being inspired by Liam Gallagher, who doesn't wear a running watch. I think I'm at the stage where consistency is the top priority anyway. I've left the watch at home before, it can be quite refreshing as long as you can deal with going a bit too far if you decide to go exploring.
    Richard Askwith’s book is decent for inspiring running without concentrating on stats etc.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Running-Free-Runners-Journey-Nature/dp/0224091964/ref=nodl_
    Thanks for that. Yes I seem to get the most enjoyment if and when I can do running like that. I find it takes a certain level of fitness. I've gone exploring before, but only when I knew I had at least a half marathon in my legs at any time.

I've not been too bad lately though. I carried on running down by the river, which is pretty mindless but sometimes gives lovely views of the river and docks in the early dawn. Then yesterday I went for a slightly longer run in the opposite direction.

As far as footwear goes, I'm in F-lite 195s now - close enough to the ground but no chance of rubbing in the wet or getting bruises on the soles of my feet.
    Great stuff - I’ve got my eye on doing a half marathon distance early in the new year. I know I can do it but want to do it responsibly, and build up to it so I don’t get injured or make it too hard and discourage myself from further challenges.
  • I've just started again after a brain haemorrhage in May this year.
    2 miles in the forest in 26 mins with the same route the day after in 22 mins. 

Had a stunning headache but that's OK, according to the head injuries nurse! So long as I don't kick the backside out of it.

I'll be banging out that route and a few others I know in the forest, over winter. Never enjoyed roads. Much prefer fells, mountains, and forests. 

I'm using Arcterxy shoes which come up rather tight. Can only wear thin socks. They aren't really great on cushioning.

Radiohead and the Sisters of Mercy make it easier, however my fave is an audiobook. Stops me thinking of what it is I am actually doing! 

Well, I'm here now. 
    If I had talent, I'd be talented.
    Red meat and functional mushrooms.
    Persistent and inconsistent guitar player.
    A lefty, hence a fog of permanent frustration

Not enough guitars, pedals, and cricket bats.
    USA Deluxe Strat - Martyn Booth Special - Epi LP Custom
    FX Plex - Cornell Romany
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    FastEddie said:
    I've just started again after a brain haemorrhage in May this year.

Had a stunning headache but that's OK, according to the head injuries nurse! So long as I don't kick the backside out of it.

I'll be banging out that route and a few others I know in the forest, over winter. Never enjoyed roads. Much prefer fells, mountains, and forests. 

I'm using Arcterxy shoes which come up rather tight. Can only wear thin socks. They aren't really great on cushioning.

Radiohead and the Sisters of Mercy make it easier, however my fave is an audiobook. Stops me thinking of what it is I am actually doing! 

Well, I'm here now. 

Excellent. Kudos to you mate. Agree with never enjoying roads - I run 100% on trails, hills and mountains!

:)
    just noticed your signature!

I have a USA deluxe strat (well 2 of them), a Martyn Booth Special and a Cornell Romany! Well I never!!! lol
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1783
    I’ve been doing two 8km and one 5km runs fairly consistently each week for the last couple of months, which has felt good to be consistent.
    Then last week my wife suggested that we run to and from the local woods to see the autumn colours, but we got diverted because of a flood and ended up doing 14miles! That’s my longest ever distance.
    Then based on that success we did another long one this week... and ended up at 20miles! It was proper tough but no lasting soreness after 24hours so that’s a success in my book.
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1783

mcsdan said:
    Had a few weeks out. I slipped running up a hill that was really muddy 3 weeks ago and pulled my adductor (inside thigh) which has taken a while to settle. Had physio and about 90-95% there now. I've done a few easy walks in the last week to get moving and help with recovery. I'm hoping another couple of days and I'll be good to go. 

Next races aren't until May 2021 so would like to be back training beginning of December. Rather let my leg heal properly than rushing back in.

Sorry to hear about your injury Dan, it seems like running is such a big part of your life so it must be hard to step back for a bit.
    I broke my arm last year whilst out on a run from work on my lunch break, it’s amazing how sometimes a fall is a slight scrape and other times it can be much worse with no real rhyme or reason.
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
  • FastEddie said:
    I've just started again after a brain haemorrhage in May this year.

Well, I'm here now. 
    Id actually be interested in people's run music. I run on a treadmill and use it as an opportunity to watch live gigs. It's crazy how different music and energy can make the minutes drag or fly by. My favourites at the moments are

Gojira
    The prodigy
    Bring me the horizon
    Korn
    Pendulum

Ones that I found make the run really drag even though I really like the bands:
    Tool (I mean you can kinda see why)
    Mastodon
    Blue Oyster Cult

A few middle of the road ones that were good once but prob wouldnt do again:
    Fall Out Boy
    Papa Roach
    Foo fighter
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • I had a bad start to the year with a calf injury, 7 months out ultimately, plus a bit of lockdown weight gain...had to build back up slowly but I am back at it now and enjoying it again.

Feels great getting out for a break especially while working from home. I’ve had podcasts on for my previous two runs, I found the time seemed to go quicker than with music.

I’ve done 10km three times this week and beat my personal best twice. Going to have tomorrow off and get a Sunday 10km in.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    BigMonka said:

mcsdan said:

Sorry to hear about your injury Dan, it seems like running is such a big part of your life so it must be hard to step back for a bit.
    I broke my arm last year whilst out on a run from work on my lunch break, it’s amazing how sometimes a fall is a slight scrape and other times it can be much worse with no real rhyme or reason.

Yes running used to be a big part of my life - I ran (pun) a local trail running club, was lead coach, parkrun director, part of local athletic committee and used to marshall in races both locally and events like VLM etc, all in addition to doing my own training and races. Life is in a different direction now with work much busier so can't dedicate the time anymore so I just stick to my own runs and races now. I just do it and fit in with everything else so it's a part of my life but nowhere as much and tbh feels much more balanced.

Agree, I've had some big falls and got up without issue. This time was a slight slip in the mud - no fall - but felt my inner thigh pull. Obviously enough to upset things for a few weeks!  Considering I run trails all year and in all weather including in the dark, snow, rain etc the risk injury comes with it and I've been lucky.  Wouldn't change it though since running the trails is more than just physical exercise - it's a mental connection too. Hence when I don't run I etiher walk the dog or got for a MTB ride.

Alot better yesterday and today so going to do a tester run tomorrow to see how it is. Fingers and toes crossed.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Iamnobody said:
    Iamnobody said:

Great stuff - I’ve got my eye on doing a half marathon distance early in the new year. I know I can do it but want to do it responsibly, and build up to it so I don’t get injured or make it too hard and discourage myself from further challenges.
    It is a lot easier when you know you have it in you, when you've done a few. I've done HMs before with no targeted training except a long run a few days before to check if I have the miles in me. I find it's best to err on the side of caution - try to get up to more than 13 miles in your long runs.
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
  • steven70steven70 Frets: 1278
    edited September 2023
    j
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11892
    First time posting in this thread, I bought an Apple Watch Series 6 when it was released back in September and I told myself to make use of it, I need to use it to justify it so I started running.  I downloaded the Couch to 5k App and stuck to it, 3 times a week never missing a single schedule (quite proud of that one, made no excuses, rain or not) and this week I finally finished it and did my 5k.

Anyway, just to say Nike is having a sale at the moment, code BRIGHT30 for 30% off and just bought a pair of Pegasus 37 for £50.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • droflufdrofluf Frets: 3731
    @RaymondLin well done! Keep on running!

Although I must confess I haven’t run for several weeks now. In my defence a few weeks ago I bought a smart turbo trainer and a Zwift subscription. I also signed up to a 28 day workout program so after spending an hour on the bike I don’t have any energy to run. 
  • My first time posting in this thread.
    I’ve been running for 2 or 3 years, and have very gradually worked up from generally finding it very uncomfortable to run at all, to being comfortable for a 16k run and stretching myself to half-marathon distance.  I find I get real sense of achievement and reward from the longer runs.
    I had a break from running in August this year due to some personal life stressy stuff that was going on, but I got back into it in early September.  I went at it quite hard - smashed my PBs at 10k, 16k and half marathon.
    Unfortunately, though, I overdid it.  Did too many hard runs without enough rest and developed a left knee pain.  So I rested for a bit and tried a 5k.  Pain still there :(.  Did a couple of cycles of this without any improvement.  I’ve done loads of Internet research and I *think* it’s IT band syndrome.  I’m now doing low impact strengthening exercises - squats, bridges etc and I’ve found that I can run 2k without aggravating the knee problem.  So at the moment I’m intending to run 2k every other day, interspersed with strengthening workouts.  I’m going to try increasing my running distance very gradually, the idea being to not reach the point of  aggravating the knee problem.
    The other thing I’ve learned is that your hard runs shouldn’t make up a large proportion of your total running (this was basically the mistake that I think I’ve made).  The large proportion of your running should be at an easy effort.

Anyway please wish me luck in rehabilitating my knee and getting back to longer distances.
  • droflufdrofluf Frets: 3731
    steven70 said:
    Back again after the longest time off (over three months) in 20 years...the key seems to be allowing a couple of days recovery after each run. 

Anyways...question about running watches please:

Can anyone recommend a basic watch that will tell me distance and time. I want to build up to some speed intervals and gym is out of the equation. I don't have a smart phone and not worried about apps or stuff - just wanna be able to (e.g) run fast for some 0.5K intervals while out and about...or go off on a tangent from usual route etc 

Any advice or ideas appreciated - thank you.

Edit: The key thing is not needing a smartphone...I have looked online but not always clear and recommendations appreciated. Cheers.

Sorry for a late response. Would a Garmin Forerunner 35 fit the bill? I’m pretty sure that you can use it without a smartphone. 
    edited November 2020
    BahHumbug said:
    My first time posting in this thread.
    I’ve been running for 2 or 3 years, and have very gradually worked up from generally finding it very uncomfortable to run at all, to being comfortable for a 16k run and stretching myself to half-marathon distance.  I find I get real sense of achievement and reward from the longer runs.
    I had a break from running in August this year due to some personal life stressy stuff that was going on, but I got back into it in early September.  I went at it quite hard - smashed my PBs at 10k, 16k and half marathon.
    Unfortunately, though, I overdid it.  Did too many hard runs without enough rest and developed a left knee pain.  So I rested for a bit and tried a 5k.  Pain still there .  Did a couple of cycles of this without any improvement.  I’ve done loads of Internet research and I *think* it’s IT band syndrome.  I’m now doing low impact strengthening exercises - squats, bridges etc and I’ve found that I can run 2k without aggravating the knee problem.  So at the moment I’m intending to run 2k every other day, interspersed with strengthening workouts.  I’m going to try increasing my running distance very gradually, the idea being to not reach the point of  aggravating the knee problem.
    The other thing I’ve learned is that your hard runs shouldn’t make up a large proportion of your total running (this was basically the mistake that I think I’ve made).  The large proportion of your running should be at an easy effort.

Anyway please wish me luck in rehabilitating my knee and getting back to longer distances.
    I had a slight ITB issue earlier this year - weird isn’t it that the knee gets the pain. I self diagnosed and have been working on strengthening the glutes etc. I had exactly the same issue I’d get to a certain distance and that’d be it. 

As well as trying to strengthen the surrounding muscles I always stretch before and after running and do a bit of foam rolling when I remember. 

My running journey sounds very similar to yours. I started in Jan this year, went mad smashing PBs etc and went looking for long runs too early - result medial ligament knee injury, then a bit later the ITB problem.

At 15.5k last night I almost talked myself into the half marathon but the sensible side of me said no. There’s plenty of time to do that.

I’m currently running 25-30k over 3 runs a week to make sure I get plenty of recovery time. Sometimes walking up to 5 miles on rest days though.

Hope the ITB issue doesn’t hold you back for too long.