2020 Fretboard Virtual Running Club

What's Hot

Comments

• mcsdanmcsdan Frets: 451
    @fields5069 does sound like irritation at the insertion of the plantar fascia at the heel. I've had similar to this before and was caused by an over stretch of the arch running through really thick mud. 

Took a few weeks to resolve with the usual ice, rest etc. Couple of things I found helped was to scrunch up foot to take off tension on the arch and calf stretches to remove tension from back of heel pulling. Be careful to make sure you stretch the calf by keeping the heel down during the stretch. I see lots of runners lift their heels on this stretch and effectively end up stretching or putting tension on the plantar - which you don't want.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mcsdanmcsdan Frets: 451
    Not a good start to the year for my running. Got a 17.3miler in on NYD off road through very thick mud (knee deep in places) and bloody freezing (2-3C). Felt OK after but couple of days later I picked up the lurgy that is doing the rounds in everyone around me and has gone to my chest so no running. Being asthmatic I have to be very careful of chesty illness. I'm hoping to get a run on Sunday maybe 4-5 miles if feeling much better.  Mileage for this week was planned around 45 so will be way off with 4-5 and have to spend next week getting back into it.

It was supposed to be first week of pre-season training in preparation for racing season with first goal race 3rd May and successive races in June, August and September. I'll throw in a couple of prep races end of Feb and March to get back into it. I've also got a couple of weekends in Brecon Beacons planned as training which I'm looking forward to.

On the plus side I've had time to look online and have found all my trainers for this year (and will probably last in next year) in the sales at around half price. Bargain. Hoka speedgoat 3s and hoka evo mafate 1 for those in the know.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3921
    I've ran 5 consecutive days this week. 30 mins each no stopping. Not doing distance. Feeling better already.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • droflufdrofluf Frets: 3731
    Pushed up my distance a little today but pace was down.
  • fields5069fields5069 Frets: 3826
    mcsdan said:
    @fields5069 does sound like irritation at the insertion of the plantar fascia at the heel. I've had similar to this before and was caused by an over stretch of the arch running through really thick mud. 

Took a few weeks to resolve with the usual ice, rest etc. Couple of things I found helped was to scrunch up foot to take off tension on the arch and calf stretches to remove tension from back of heel pulling. Be careful to make sure you stretch the calf by keeping the heel down during the stretch. I see lots of runners lift their heels on this stretch and effectively end up stretching or putting tension on the plantar - which you don't want.
    Many thanks for that! Yes it does seem an over-stretch could be the cause. I'm always quite careful and regimented with my limited stretching, which is always after a warm up and sometimes only after a run, but always with (I hope) good form and no bouncing. I may leave Parkrun today, it feels like I now have a niggle on the outside of the same foot, below the ankle, which may be due to compensating for the PF. 
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
  • droflufdrofluf Frets: 3731
    Resting it sounds sensible, running won’t speed recovery and will almost certainly delay it or, as you say, will injure something else trying to compensate. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28341
    AAARRGGGHHHHHHH!!

So fed up. After a great summer of 5k Parkrun results I am enduring my 13th week of injury. For the 2nd week in a row I retired after 2k. Bummer ....
  • Has anyone used Nike ZoomX Vaporfly shoes (4% or NEXT%)? Are they as good as the Nike marketing suggests?
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 5282
    started running for the first time in about 30 years 3km with a bit of walking, surprisingly enjoyable and keen to get my distances up along with m,e fitness
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6906
    edited January 2020
    Has anyone used Nike ZoomX Vaporfly shoes (4% or NEXT%)? Are they as good as the Nike marketing suggests?
    Have you seen this article?

https://www.runnersworld.com/news/a26480398/how-nike-vaporfly-4-percent-work/

Might be less biased than Nike’s own blurb.

I’ve got Brooks Glycerin 17s

https://www.brooksrunning.com/en_gb/glycerin-17-mens-running-shoe/110296.html

If anyone hasn’t yet and is running I’d highly recommend getting their gait analysed and spending money on decent shoes. I did it before even starting as I was that concerned about an old knee injury reoccurring.

You wouldn’t put remoulds or cheap ditchfinder tyres on your car. It’s the same with your feet - get some decent rubber on there.
    Previously known as stevebrum
  • Iamnobody said:
    Has anyone used Nike ZoomX Vaporfly shoes (4% or NEXT%)? Are they as good as the Nike marketing suggests?
    Have you seen this article?

https://www.runnersworld.com/news/a26480398/how-nike-vaporfly-4-percent-work/

Interesting - thanks. The online calculator suggests I'd save 5 minutes in a half marathon and over 2 minutes in a 10k. I'm passing a Nike factory shop on Monday and will see if I can try them on a treadmill.
  • I’ve come back to running this year as I try and keep a bit of cardio on top of the start of my next 3 months lifting programme. I’ve managed a mile every day but I’m running straight after my lifting sessions and 1 mile  feels like 30.
    Took me 11mins on Wednesday, I was that knackered.
    I’m aiming to get that to sub 6mins by mid feb.
    we will see!

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27649
    TTony said:

I’ve just done day1 of week2.  I used to do a fair amount of running, but that was a few years, and a few KGs ago.  Not sure that I can do anything about the years, but hopefully the KGs will shift if I make it through to the full 5k ...
    Just done my run.

Thought it was hard work.

Then I realised that I'd just done day 3 of week 3, when I should have done day 1 of week 3.

Rest of the week should be easy ...

I'm doing all of mine on a treadmill, but it's on a 4deg/5deg incline, so I'm always going uphill.  Thought if I start off doing that, then it's going to be easy whenever I run on the flat (I'm in Norfolk) 
    :D
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • LoFiLoFi Frets: 534
    That's a very steep incline!
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6906
    Another run today and got my 5km down to 26.42. I’m happy with progress so far but won’t post every time I run!

I’ll probably revisit this thread in 3-6 months time and see if I’ve kept it up, am injury free and have managed to get sub 25 min!
    Previously known as stevebrum
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27649
    LoFi said:
    Oh, maybe I over estimated it.  I didn’t measure, just thought that 4/5 degrees would be quite a gentle slope so guesstimated it at that. 
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • RedRabbitRedRabbit Frets: 486
    Just done 6.5km.  Was hoping to do 8km but the last 1/2km was really tough. I've obviously got a bit of work to do before I'm back to where I was before. 

Same training routine planned for next week so we'll see if I can stretch next Sunday's run to 8km.  I was managing 10km at the start of December hoping to be back there by the end of January.
  • RedRabbitRedRabbit Frets: 486
    TTony said:
    LoFi said:
    Oh, maybe I over estimated it.  I didn’t measure, just thought that 4/5 degrees would be quite a gentle slope so guesstimated it at that. 
    1 to 2 degrees is recommended to replicate wind resistance when running outside but I've got to admit that the slight incline on the treadmill always feels tougher than running on the flat outside to me.

As I live in a hilly area I had the idea of using a steeper incline so I'd be used to the hills when venturing out. All I really did was make it much harder than I had to and hit a brick wall around week 5 or 6 (whenever the first 20+ run is). I'm not necessarily saying reduce the incline but if you start finding the longer runs hard it's something you can look at changing. Speed and power can come later, it's mainly your lungs and heart you're working on when you first start out.

If your treadmill doesn't tell you what the incline is I'd get a spirit level app for your phone.  I don't know how accurate they are but it'll give you an idea.  
  • Mark_RMark_R Frets: 79
    I ran 5 miles on Friday, 2 miles with my daughter on Saturday and 14.5 miles yesterday.  Total 34 miles for the week and I really hurt today.  Going to cut the running down to about 30 miles this week to give me a chance to recover.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JohnnysevenJohnnyseven Frets: 908
    edited January 2020
    I'm doing the London Landmarks Half Marathon at the end of March so i've had to get training. I couldn't start until now as I had a knee injury I needed to get sorted first, now that's ok i'm ready to go. Did a couple of Parkruns in South Africa over Christmas and some runs last week - 5 miles on Sunday and just under 6 miles with my wife's running club on wednesday. I decided to do some running to and from work on friday which wasn't a good idea, 8 miles before and after work, my muscles didn't like it so I couldn't go out yesterday - I need to go a bit easier this week. I'm still cycling 10 miles to/from work on days i'm not running to keep the fitness up.
    My trading feedback can be seen here - http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58242/