Line 6 Pod Go

What's Hot

Comments

• VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4727
    edited July 2020
    cant see any reference on the yamaha site to a 24month warranty or 30 days return
    Yamaha European warranty (min 24mths) is here (English version p32 I think): https://europe.yamaha.com/en/support/warranty/
    And the 24mth Yamaha warranty is specifically referred to on my invoice too. 

Yamaha Music London did have a 30 days return and price promise 'sticker' on its site but the former seems to have gone. However, AFAIK this is still their standard policy but give them a call to double check.  
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • keithwmkeithwm Frets: 0
    Hi folks, I got the Pod Go on   15 July and it locked up many times (despite updating the firmware). Line 6 responded quickly and said they expected it to be fixed in firmware but how the hell did it get released in this state?   I had   an M5 that locked up and it was never fixed. I've sent my POD GO back for refund and I might consider one in 6 months IF they fix the issue. So just be warned, the POD GO isn't really fit for use in its current state!
  • bloodandtearsbloodandtears Frets: 1659
    yep, there are bugs and you have every right to be surprised by this; on the surface you'd like to think it would be perfect at point of release.. the fact of the matter is, this is rarely the case the days with all kinds of software..  fortunately Line 6 are excellent are communication and support, I for one, feel confident they will address everything that can be reproduced.
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

• I’ve not had any problems with my Go locking up, but I did the firmware update anyway this morning, and it was a painless process.
  • KokavicKokavic Frets: 4
    Hello everyone!

Another proud owner of the POD GO :) - I recently purchsed this little beast to get into the modeling world, and so far I am loving it, however, I am still quite lost!!

Do you guys have good sources for presets, IR's, etc? Don't mind if they are free or not. I have seen the marketplace and customtone, but I am sure there has to be more sources available.

Currently I am after a nice clean/ambience tone for prog metal of the type of Tesseract, Periphery and such, and would be awesome to slowly get there.

Also happy to hear any tips and recommendations from all of you that have been using it for longer or know more.

Thanks!!
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2911
    For the cleans the Litigator is nice. And for anything heavy definitely give the Line 6 Badonk a shot, it's one of my favourite high gain amps in the Helix.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    There are lots of great vids on YouTube Inc Line 6 quick start vids. The Gear Page is another excellent resource. 

IRs are a rabbit hole you can easily get lost in. Personally I wouldn't buy IRs, as there's no guarantee you'll like them and some are quite expensive. A lot of folk have also gone back to stock cabs which are all pretty good anyway and there are plenty of free IRs to try from sites like Seacow and others. L6 has also published 6 free IRs of its own. Changing your L6 stock cab settings 're mics, distance, output levels, etc can reap dividends. 
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • KokavicKokavic Frets: 4
    Awesome, guys, thank you!

Did not know The Gear Page, seems there's a ton of stuff to slowly check out there :) also bookmarked Seacow. Thanks @Voxman for the advice

I'll definitely play around with Litigator and Badonk @TTBZ - I had actually already checked Badonk and it sounds quite awesome.

Any findings and progress I'll be sharing in the thread.

Cheers!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    edited August 2020
    In case anyone isn't yet aware, Pod Go v1.12 is available that fixes all the main bugs. There are still some 'bits' that will be sorted in the next update but it looks like the more serious issues like freezing & boot up issues have been sorted - so far (fingers crossed) I've had no problems since upgrading to v1.12

Details are here: https://line6.com/support/page/kb/pod/pod-go/pod-go-112-r959/

Bug Fixes in 1.12

• On rare occasions, POD Go could occasionally get stuck on the splash screen—FIXED
    • On rare occasions, quickly changing modes could cause POD Go to freeze—FIXED
    • On rare occasions, entering the menu immediately after changing snapshots could cause POD Go to freeze—FIXED
    • If an external expression pedal or footswitch is connected to EXP 2/FS7/8, Wah/Vol behavior could become unpredictable—FIXED
    • Additional optimizations
    • Lots of other minor bug fixes

Known Issues in 1.12

• In rare cases when connected via USB, POD Go may appear unresponsive after powering down a connected PC. If this happens, unplug the USB cable from POD Go, at which point it should behave normally

• On rare occasions, audio can be lost if POD Go is powered on while a connected Mac/PC is passing audio via USB

• On rare occasions, POD Go can freeze while restoring from a backup. In this case, attempt the restore again
    • Sending a MIDI CC68 message from your computer can sometimes cause a graphical glitch
    • If Global Settings > Switches/Pedals > FS Auto Assign is set to "Off," changing a block's model category can sometimes reflect the previous category color on the footswitch

• siremoonsiremoon Frets: 1524
    edited August 2020
    Kokavic said:

Do you guys have good sources for presets, IR's, etc? Don't mind if they are free or not. I have seen the marketplace and customtone, but I am sure there has to be more sources available.

Currently I am after a nice clean/ambience tone for prog metal of the type of Tesseract, Periphery and such, and would be awesome to slowly get there.

Also happy to hear any tips and recommendations from all of you that have been using it for longer or know more.

Thanks!!

FWIW my tip is build your own presets.  For some reason presets built by other people always sound awful when I try them.
    “He is like a man with a fork in a world of soup.” - Noel Gallagher
  • POD GO owners! I'm struggling to find this information and don't really understand the unit as I haven't had chance to try one. I'm looking for an MFX that I can hook up to my single channel amp via 4CM so I can switch between the amps preamp and then a different preamp on the MFX so I can get a clean channel. And of course use all of the effects on the unit in the correct places. Is the routing of the POD Go complex enough for this or would I need something else?

Check out my band Coral Snake if you like original hard rock!

• correct me if I'm wrong but the 4CM is all about using the Amp's pre-amp AND power stage..   you can never actually bypass the Amp's pre in favour of the MFX's modelling..

There are no rules obviously but you would be able to have a driven Amp pre and then use a clean modelled amp in the Pod GO and expect it to be clean.. that's not how that routing works.

You could abandon the Amp's pre, and use the MFX's amp modelling by means of the FX return on the Amp. This is common place; but again often wise to disable cab modelling when doing this.

My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

• correct me if I'm wrong but the 4CM is all about using the Amp's pre-amp AND power stage..   you can never actually bypass the Amp's pre in favour of the MFX's modelling..

There are no rules obviously but you would be able to have a driven Amp pre and then use a clean modelled amp in the Pod GO and expect it to be clean.. that's not how that routing works.

You could abandon the Amp's pre, and use the MFX's amp modelling by means of the FX return on the Amp. This is common place; but again often wise to disable cab modelling when doing this.

If set up correctly the amp is entirely in the loop of the MFX unit so if you disable the loop then the routing would be guitar > MFX > Amp FX return (power amp) which would allow you to use the MFX as a preamp. You can easily switch between a patch routed this way and a patch routed normally that sends the signal through the amps preamp. It definitely works, I'm just unsure if the POD Go can handle the complex routing.

Here is an example of it done with an FM3: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RaYffPQRqNQ

edited August 2020
    right I get ya.. so if assuming the Pod Go's fx send it hitting your Amp's main guitar input.. then yes you could assign a foot switch to say turn on the fx loop (thus getting the amp pre) and simultaneously turn off the Amp modelling in the Pod Go (and Cab if required).. balancing the volumes might be tricky but I believe it's achievable.

I'd try it for ya but I don't own an amp any more.
    My trading feedback

• right I get ya.. so if assuming the Pod Go's fx send it hitting your Amp's main guitar input.. then yes you could assign a foot switch to say turn on the fx loop (thus getting the amp pre) and simultaneously turn off the Amp modelling in the Pod Go (and Cab if required).. balancing the volumes might be tricky but I believe it's achievable.

I'd try it for ya but I don't own an amp any more.
    That's awesome thanks!

edited August 2020
    If you're on FB I suggest asking the question on one of the many groups there..  Jason Constantine may even have a video on the subject..

My trading feedback

• POD GO owners! I'm struggling to find this information and don't really understand the unit as I haven't had chance to try one. I'm looking for an MFX that I can hook up to my single channel amp via 4CM so I can switch between the amps preamp and then a different preamp on the MFX so I can get a clean channel. And of course use all of the effects on the unit in the correct places. Is the routing of the POD Go complex enough for this or would I need something else?
    Dunno about the Pod Go but the HX Stomp definitely does that. 
    Dunno about the Pod Go but the HX Stomp definitely does that. 

Thanks! I don’t think the HX Stomp has enough switches to make it workable for me. I’m just looking into my options. Half tempted by a Headrush as I used to love my old 11r but it seems strange paying so much essentially for something I had donkeys years ago! I 

edited August 2020
    As far as I'm aware, I think Pod Go can kind of do this, but only up to a point. 4CM is set up through the FX loop and switched on/off (typically as standard set in each patch) with the FS2 footswitch (but you could change it to any footswitch).  When the FX loop is engaged, you have 4CM using your amp. With the FX loop off you have normal MFX operation that include an amp/cab model - I think you can even utilise snap-shots to switch the FX loop on/off and simultaneously go into your clean preset with effects parameters set as you need.   Now, instead of having to be in stomp mode to switch the FX loop on/off, you could add 1 or 2 additional momentary footswitches to give you FS7/FS8 (which I have connected) and you could set one of these to switch the FX loop on/off in any mode (even if you are in snapshots or pre-set mode).  

However, Pod Go cannot do multi-routing where the FX chain order is altered within the same patch; this is something that only more powerful units like Helix/Helix LT can do. But I can't see any reason why you couldn't set up neighbouring patches to achieve what you want. One patch does the 4CM with FX loop on and FX set in the order you need, and then a clean patch with the FX loop off to give you normal MFX control and options. 

The advantage of having multi-routing in a single patch is that (in theory) switches should be seamless with no switching lag, and you may get a slight lag when switching patches. However, my experience with Pod Go is that the patch switching is very fast and there's virtually no noticeable lag - in fact, I can switch patches mid solo with no apparent lag, and you can even set relevant FX to give spillover for a more natural transition. 

Having said all this, I don't use my Pod Go through an amp and don't use 4CM (I simply don't like it), so I have no personal experience of using Pod Go this way - the above is to my best understanding but I readily stand to be corrected by others that might use 4CM - you might want to pop into the Pod Go page on The Gear Page - there are a lot of very expert users there plus it's frequented by L6 tech folk who can sometimes offer help too. 

We're not really ready for live gigs again yet in the UK but I'd either use my Pod Go go straight through the FOH PA, or through my Headrush FRFR108 which is just brilliant, and pretty darned loud!  The advantages for me is that I don't need to schlapp an amp out, I can take a guitar and my Pod Go and I'm literally good to go - and even if I need my FRFR108 it's really light and compact, and I don't have to fart ass around with setting up 4CM.   it also means I'm always getting full flexibility in every patch I need and consistent tone and volume levels. When I've tried 4CM it's been a right pain to get everything balanced - I know a lot of folk like to use their amps & 4CM, and so it's just 'each to their own'.  But as I've got older, I want to keep things simple, reduce what I carry, and be able to set-up and pack-away fast.  
  • Voxman said:
    As far as I'm aware, I think Pod Go can kind of do this, but only up to a point. 4CM is set up through the FX loop and switched on/off (typically as standard set in each patch) with the FS2 footswitch (but you could change it to any footswitch).  When the FX loop is engaged, you have 4CM using your amp. With the FX loop off you have normal MFX operation that include an amp/cab model - I think you can even utilise snap-shots to switch the FX loop on/off and simultaneously go into your clean preset with effects parameters set as you need.   Now, instead of having to be in stomp mode to switch the FX loop on/off, you could add 1 or 2 additional momentary footswitches to give you FS7/FS8 (which I have connected) and you could set one of these to switch the FX loop on/off in any mode (even if you are in snapshots or pre-set mode).  

However, Pod Go cannot do multi-routing where the FX chain order is altered within the same patch; this is something that only more powerful units like Helix/Helix LT can do. But I can't see any reason why you couldn't set up neighbouring patches to achieve what you want. One patch does the 4CM with FX loop on and FX set in the order you need, and then a clean patch with the FX loop off to give you normal MFX control and options. 

The advantage of having multi-routing in a single patch is that (in theory) switches should be seamless with no switching lag, and you may get a slight lag when switching patches. However, my experience with Pod Go is that the patch switching is very fast and there's virtually no noticeable lag - in fact, I can switch patches mid solo with no apparent lag, and you can even set relevant FX to give spillover for a more natural transition. 

Having said all this, I don't use my Pod Go through an amp and don't use 4CM (I simply don't like it), so I have no personal experience of using Pod Go this way - the above is to my best understanding but I readily stand to be corrected by others that might use 4CM - you might want to pop into the Pod Go page on The Gear Page - there are a lot of very expert users there plus it's frequented by L6 tech folk who can sometimes offer help too. 

We're not really ready for live gigs again yet in the UK but I'd either use my Pod Go go straight through the FOH PA, or through my Headrush FRFR108 which is just brilliant, and pretty darned loud!  The advantages for me is that I don't need to schlapp an amp out, I can take a guitar and my Pod Go and I'm literally good to go - and even if I need my FRFR108 it's really light and compact, and I don't have to fart ass around with setting up 4CM.   it also means I'm always getting full flexibility in every patch I need and consistent tone and volume levels. When I've tried 4CM it's been a right pain to get everything balanced - I know a lot of folk like to use their amps & 4CM, and so it's just 'each to their own'.  But as I've got older, I want to keep things simple, reduce what I carry, and be able to set-up and pack-away fast.  
    Very detailed, thank you! It sounds like it does everything I need for sure. Not bothered if there is any lag as such, I would only be switching from clean to drive and don't think it would be noticeable in the sections of the songs in which I'd be switching. The only thing that concerns me is that you can only run 4 effects. I may have to look into the Helix LT.

One thing I am very keen on is having one output feed the amp with no cab sim and one output feed FOH with cab sim on. I know this is possible on the unit as I've read the manual but not sure how it works in reality. Ideally I'd like a situation where I rock up to a gig with my amp and pedalboard (let's say Pod Go for ease) and it is irrelevant the quality of the sound man. I can set up my stage volume how I like it with a real amp so I get real feedback and stage volume/punch that I'm used to, but rather than rely on the sound man to inevitably stick a battered 58 in front of my cab he has lying around I can give him a feed from the MFX which is either using the preamp from the amp and adding a cab sim on the main out, or is using a preamp model and doing the same thing. I've got an IR of my own cab so it would be the same as him mic'ing it only I know it's how I want it mic'ing and a lot more time consuming.

I've gone down the FRFR route in the past and although the FOH sound is great, my stage sound isn't how I like it and I don't enjoy playing as much if I'm not 'feeling' the amp in the way you do a big ol' trouser flapping amp. I know this is all possible with modern technology... it's just taking that leap!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom