Line 6 Pod Go

What's Hot

Comments

• BarnezyBarnezy Frets: 2206
    I've seen quite a few people selling their HXStomp and going to a POD. I'm just trying to understand the logic here. 

HXStomp has more amps, fx and features and is sure to have more updates, to keep the POD as a lower level product. 

If you already have a Stomp, why would you sell it for £350, losing money on the new price, to they pay an extra £40 to move to a POD? 

From what I've seen, it doesn't look any easier to use. 

Is it just the extra footswitches and expression pedal that is driving people to it? 

I must admit if I didn't already have a Stomp, I'd probably get a POD, but as I do, I don't see why I should pay £40 and loose £100+ by swapping.

I have the mission exp pedal already, but if I didn't, surely buying that is a better option than going to a POD if that is the driver. 

I get having more buttons might seem like a bonus, but how often would you use more than 2 in a single song. 

Anyway, I'm asking as I'm wondering if I'm missing something and should be looking to do the same. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12930
    edited July 2020
    nonesuch said:
    Voxman said:
    So, today my wife went to Homebase and it's been the first chance I've had to play my Pod Go through some amps.  Connecting via the amp out, the master level on Pod Go doesn't function but through the left main out it does.  Is this normal?

Through the parallel FX return of my 2 channel Valvestate 8080 I get tons of volume and the master volume on the amp controls volume.  But through the serial fx return of my Laney Cub12R I don't get the volume and the amp volume dial doesnt do anything, so I can only control volume through the Pod Go. I'm unclear why the Cubs amp volume isn't doing anything. Anyone have any thoughts?

Re Pod Go's global out settings for amp and headphone, what should be the best out settings? I've experimented but as far as I can tell the global changes don't seem to do anything.

I therefore think I might be doing something wrong. Thoughts guys?
    I really need to get to know how to use an effects loop properly! I've got a Roland JC-40 that has an effects loop, but I've only ever gone directly into the front of the amp. 

I've been using my new Pod Go directly into some PreSonus studio monitors. But today I've had a go with my amp, with and without the effects loop. I read some info about using the effects loop, saying to connect the 'amp out' on the Pod to the 'FX return' on the amp. This is where I'm a little unsure really. These are the various options I've tried:

Pod Amp Out > Amp input - Pod master volume does nothing - Amp volume works normally
    Pod Amp Out > Amp FX return - Pod master volume does nothing - Amp volume does nothing (but fixed low volume)
    Pod Main Left Out > Amp FX return - Pod master volume works - Amp volume does nothing (but fixed low volume)
    Pod Main Left Out > Amp input - Pod master volume works - Amp volume works normally
     This is covered on pages 5, 6, and 7 of the Pod Go manual. 

On  page 5 the description of the volume knob tells you "turn this to control the main output and the headphones volume" (emphasis mine). Its not supposed to change either the amp out or the FX send/return levels. 

On page 6, the description of the Amp Out says "this unbalanced connector is meant to send directly to the front of your guitar amp" (emphasis mine).  Since you're plugging into the front of your amp, in this case you use your amp's volume control to control everything. If you read the rest of the description it tells you what Amp Out is for: it gives you a way of sending an output to your amp that doesn't have amp+cab modelling whilst sending everything else to the PA or desk---so you can have modelled amp through the PA and a real amp on stage for example. 

Page 7 has a diagram that shows you how to use 4CM, which is what you want to do if you want to use your amps effects loop. The connectors you need to use on your Go are the main input, main output, the FX send, and the FX return. How you set volume then depends on exactly how you want to use 4CM. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Barnezy said:
    I've seen quite a few people selling their HXStomp and going to a POD. I'm just trying to understand the logic here. 

HXStomp has more amps, fx and features and is sure to have more updates, to keep the POD as a lower level product. 

The differences between the amp and FX model numbers is miniscule, and I never used any of the more advanced features of my Stomp anyway. Plus the Looper is a lot easier to use on the Pod Go.

If you already have a Stomp, why would you sell it for £350, losing money on the new price, to they pay an extra £40 to move to a POD? 

It has a bigger and clearer screen and more knobs for adjusting parameters on the fly when not hooked up to a PC, so I definitely find it easier to use.

Is it just the extra footswitches and expression pedal that is driving people to it? 

Yeah mostly! Having access to the tuner on a separate footswitch, being able to switch from 'Stomp' to 'Preset' with a foot switch, having 'Bank Up/Down' footswitches, and access to 4 snapshots on the one unit are all things the Stomp can't do, and which I am using extensively. It gives so much more freedom for me.

I must admit if I didn't already have a Stomp, I'd probably get a POD, but as I do, I don't see why I should pay £40 and loose £100+ by swapping.

I have the mission exp pedal already, but if I didn't, surely buying that is a better option than going to a POD if that is the driver. I get having more buttons might seem like a bonus, but how often would you use more than 2 in a single song. 

Quite often, and being able to switch from different banks and presets with the feet is so much easier

Anyway, I'm asking as I'm wondering if I'm missing something and should be looking to do the same. 

One other thing is that my Stomp was out of warranty, so buying the Pod Go has essentially reset the clock on my warranty should anything go wrong. 
    I've done exactly that, so have responded to your questions in bold above^^^.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • nonesuchnonesuch Frets: 308
    nonesuch said:
    Voxman said:
    So, today my wife went to Homebase and it's been the first chance I've had to play my Pod Go through some amps.  Connecting via the amp out, the master level on Pod Go doesn't function but through the left main out it does.  Is this normal?

Through the parallel FX return of my 2 channel Valvestate 8080 I get tons of volume and the master volume on the amp controls volume.  But through the serial fx return of my Laney Cub12R I don't get the volume and the amp volume dial doesnt do anything, so I can only control volume through the Pod Go. I'm unclear why the Cubs amp volume isn't doing anything. Anyone have any thoughts?

Re Pod Go's global out settings for amp and headphone, what should be the best out settings? I've experimented but as far as I can tell the global changes don't seem to do anything.

I therefore think I might be doing something wrong. Thoughts guys?
    I really need to get to know how to use an effects loop properly! I've got a Roland JC-40 that has an effects loop, but I've only ever gone directly into the front of the amp. 

I've been using my new Pod Go directly into some PreSonus studio monitors. But today I've had a go with my amp, with and without the effects loop. I read some info about using the effects loop, saying to connect the 'amp out' on the Pod to the 'FX return' on the amp. This is where I'm a little unsure really. These are the various options I've tried:

Pod Amp Out > Amp input - Pod master volume does nothing - Amp volume works normally
    Pod Amp Out > Amp FX return - Pod master volume does nothing - Amp volume does nothing (but fixed low volume)
    Pod Main Left Out > Amp FX return - Pod master volume works - Amp volume does nothing (but fixed low volume)
    Pod Main Left Out > Amp input - Pod master volume works - Amp volume works normally
     This is covered on pages 5, 6, and 7 of the Pod Go manual. 

On  page 5 the description of the volume knob tells you "turn this to control the main output and the headphones volume" (emphasis mine). Its not supposed to change either the amp out or the FX send/return levels. 

On page 6, the description of the Amp Out says "this unbalanced connector is meant to send directly to the front of your guitar amp" (emphasis mine).  Since you're plugging into the front of your amp, in this case you use your amp's volume control to control everything. If you read the rest of the description it tells you what Amp Out is for: it gives you a way of sending an output to your amp that doesn't have amp+cab modelling whilst sending everything else to the PA or desk---so you can have modelled amp through the PA and a real amp on stage for example. 

Page 7 has a diagram that shows you how to use 4CM, which is what you want to do if you want to use your amps effects loop. The connectors you need to use on your Go are the main input, main output, the FX send, and the FX return. How you set volume then depends on exactly how you want to use 4CM. 

Thanks @UnclePsychosis ;

Yeah I kind of thought that was the case about the fixed output volume. That makes sense.

I was just trying the different connections to be of help to @Voxman ;
    Barnezy said:

I have the mission exp pedal already, but if I didn't, surely buying that is a better option than going to a POD if that is the driver. 

I get having more buttons might seem like a bonus, but how often would you use more than 2 in a single song. 

Speaking for myself, I totally agree. If you own a Stomp switching to a Go doesn't make sense to me. But a few people will probably value the screen I suppose. 
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2910
    edited July 2020
    @Barnezy I'm probably getting a Pod Go in favour of a Stomp. My reasoning being the Stomp feels more limited for my usage. When I had a Stomp my presets were pretty much drive/comp > amp > IR > delay > reverb. Which only gives one spare block for modulation or EQ, sometimes I might want both. So with the Go I'd have more blocks to play around with, plus a wah. Given that my pedalboard is pretty basic I could easily replace it all with a Pod Go as well, running 4CM with my real amp. I also felt the stomp was really limited in terms of switching options without buying extra stuff. I expect a lot of people will favour the simpler "all in one box" solution if they're not doing anything complex with split paths etc.

In an ideal world I'd get a Helix LT tbh but not really an option for me any time soon. It's a shame the Go probably won't get the same regular updates and new toys as the HX products but you can't have everything I suppose.

Again, can only speak for myself but if I was going to sell my Stomp for an all-in-one box that was liable to cost me a bit more cash then I'd probably end up with a Helix LT... 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 3990
    I guess the Pod Go vs Stomp posts above shows that the introduction of the Pod Go is justified - it seems it has a place in the Line 6 line up and for some will work better than the HXFX and Stomp around that price point.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4727
    I guess the Pod Go vs Stomp posts above shows that the introduction of the Pod Go is justified - it seems it has a place in the Line 6 line up and for some will work better than the HXFX and Stomp around that price point.
    HX Stomp is designed to be a compact unit that integrates with an existing pedal board.  Whilst it can be used freestanding, it's floor control functionality with 3 footswitches is limited but it's routing options provide flexibility for such integration where it's likely the pedal board will have expression/volume pedal capability plus other fx pedals. 

Pod Go is intended for those who want a single light, compact 'does it all mfx unit at a very competitive price point that can be used entirely on its own for home, studio, rehearsal or gigging, with Helix quality modelling but with simplified operation and for folk who don't need all the processing power and sophistication of Helix or Helix LT.

Hence why it's a Pod and not a Helix.

However, most folk chose HX stomp as a cost effective access to the Helix family for use at home or recording rather than gigging on its own. Had Pod Go been previously available it would likely have been a better fit for many, and hence why some folk are changing. It's simply about the right tool thats the best fit for people's needs, not which unit is 'better.  

Of course HX Stomp owners could buy a midi pedal for the floor control, but the screen will still be harder to see because HX stomp simply was not designed to be a free standing floor unit. 

I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 3990
    Voxman said:
    HX Stomp is designed to be a compact unit that integrates with an existing pedal board.  Whilst it can be used freestanding, it's floor control functionality with 3 footswitches is limited but it's routing options provide flexibility for such integration where it's likely the pedal board will have expression/volume pedal capability plus other fx pedals. 

Pod Go is intended for those who want a single light, compact 'does it all mfx unit at a very competitive price point that can be used entirely on its own for home, studio, rehearsal or gigging, with Helix quality modelling but with simplified operation and for folk who don't need all the processing power and sophistication of Helix or Helix LT.

Hence why it's a Pod and not a Helix.

However, most folk chose HX stomp as a cost effective access to the Helix family for use at home or recording rather than gigging on its own. Had Pod Go been previously available it would likely have been a better fit for many, and hence why some folk are changing. It's simply about the right tool thats the best fit for people's needs, not which unit is 'better.  

Of course HX Stomp owners could buy a midi pedal for the floor control, but the screen will still be harder to see because HX stomp simply was not designed to be a free standing floor unit. 

Yeah, I have a HX Stomp and love it. I use it for practice with headphones, into my amp for effects and as a recording interface. I don’t use expression pedals and not many effects at once so it’s perfect for me.
  • LogieLogie Frets: 444
    edited July 2020
    I had the Stomp and it was a great bit of kit but I sold it purely because the PSU pissed me off so much. I built a pedalboard just to house the thing neatly and it made the board bigger than it needed to be. To have it nice and compact a lot of people buy a separate PSU to power the Stomp and the rest of the pedals but because of the power requirements a one spot isn't going to cut it so that's adding more expense. Then you need a couple of external footswitches or midi and a wah/ expression. Before you know it you're up to £500-£600 used price and it's as big as an LT. The Pod Go doesn't have the dual paths, multiple amps etc. but I think they've created a bit of kit that will suit an awful lot of pub band guitarists. I don't think I'll regret getting it so long as it remains trouble free and I'm a tight arse who hates buying new!  
    Again, can only speak for myself but if I was going to sell my Stomp for an all-in-one box that was liable to cost me a bit more cash then I'd probably end up with a Helix LT... 
    I could easily have gone for a Helix LT but the biggest issue for me by far is size and weight. These are about the same size and weight overall of my Tonelab SE and I needed something that was light and compact. Also, LT is more complex and does way more than I'd ever need .... plus it's double the price of Pod Go. 

Btw, thanks for your detailed post on the Pod Go's outs.  I was familiar with most of this but hadn't picked up where the Pod Go master volume was rendered inert. 
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    Voxman said:
    I could easily have gone for a Helix LT but the biggest issue for me by far is size and weight. These are about the same size and weight overall of my Tonelab SE and I needed something that was light and compact. Also, LT is more complex and does way more than I'd ever need .... plus it's double the price of Pod Go. 

Btw, thanks for your detailed post on the Pod Go's outs.  I was familiar with most of this but hadn't picked up where the Pod Go master volume was rendered inert. 
    Fair enough. Its a moot point because I'm using "Stomp plus pedals" but the difference in size and weight of LT vs Pod Go is negligible for me. They're both too big to go in a pocket so at that point you're at "needs its own bag" stage anyway. 

Anyway, the point is clearly that Pod Go and Stomp have different places in the market. And again for me personally as someone who already owns a Stomp switching to Pod Go is a terrible idea both financially and functionally. It would cost me money and if I was going to spend more cash on an all-in-one box I'd want the LT :) 
    Voxman said:

Fair enough. Its a moot point because I'm using "Stomp plus pedals" but the difference in size and weight of LT vs Pod Go is negligible for me. They're both too big to go in a pocket so at that point you're at "needs its own bag" stage anyway. 

Anyway, the point is clearly that Pod Go and Stomp have different places in the market. And again for me personally as someone who already owns a Stomp switching to Pod Go is a terrible idea both financially and functionally. It would cost me money and if I was going to spend more cash on an all-in-one box I'd want the LT :) 
    Totally get that!  ;)
  • thumpingrugthumpingrug Frets: 2930
    Been creating a few basic patches tonight but lost an hour playing my tele into a Plexi Brt channel with a touch or reverb.   Really simple but good grief it brought my tele to life in a way I haven't heard before.  Just gorgeous .  

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited July 2020
    Been creating a few basic patches tonight but lost an hour playing my tele into a Plexi Brt channel with a touch or reverb.   Really simple but good grief it brought my tele to life in a way I haven't heard before.  Just gorgeous .  
    Nothing wrong with simple...if it sounds good, it is good! And most of the classic rock live tones in the late 60's early 70's were pretty much just a guitar plugged straight into a Marshall maybe with a wah or treble boost!  Which reverb were you using and where did you put it in the chain? 

BTW - try it with the EQ at the end of the chain.  horns.....And then swap the amp for a 2204 (which is a 50w JCM800). Then try a deranged master or a Super OD in front (ie to the left) of the amp!   That'll put some hair on your chest! rockin!! 

I also just tried the Plexi Nrm with the range master (cut the pedals treble & raise bass a bit)...killer!!
  • thumpingrugthumpingrug Frets: 2930
    Voxman said:
    Nothing wrong with simple...if it sounds good, it is good! And most of the classic rock live tones in the late 60's early 70's were pretty much just a guitar plugged straight into a Marshall maybe with a wah or treble boost!  Which reverb were you using and where did you put it in the chain? 

BTW - try it with the EQ at the end of the chain.  horns.....And then swap the amp for a 2204 (which is a 50w JCM800). Then try a deranged master or a Super OD in front (ie to the left) of the amp!   That'll put some hair on your chest! rockin!! 

I also just tried the Plexi Nrm with the range master (cut the pedals treble & raise bass a bit)...killer!!
    I usually like the Sping reverb but am experimenting so think it was the Plate used last night after the amp.  I will admit to being a tad confused with the myriad options - im not sure what pre-delay does.  Also the EQ, i haven't  really touched yet as I seem to be getting what i need via the Amp eq settings.  I will try the 2204 later, cheers.

• TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2910
    edited July 2020
    I don't know the official explanation but a higher pre-delay will give you a bit of a pause before the reverb sound, so a really high pre delay will be almost more of a slapback echo, whereas pre-delay of 0 and you'll get the reverb sound straight away. With my Stomp I found the EQ is more useful just for some fine tuning - my usual amp recording EQ seemed to translate well onto it, that's a bit of low and high pass at 80-100Hz and 6-7kHz to taste, a bit of a narrow cut around 5kHz to reduce some fizz then a slight boost around 2kHz for some snarly presence. Sometimes a small cut around 200-300Hz to reduce muddy woof. To find the exact frequencies to cut I like to set an EQ point with quite a narrow Q, boost the gain up and sweep through the frequencies to find the unpleasant ones, then reduce the gain to take them out.
  • cant see any reference on the yamaha site to a 24month warranty or 30 days return