Demonstrations in Peckham today -Black Lives Matter

What's Hot

Comments

• There is something deeply disturbing about the militarization of the police. This isn't the first time this kind of thing has happened, and wont be the last.

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/investigations/2019/07/31/you-re-gonna-kill-me-dallas-police-body-cam-footage-reveals-the-final-minutes-of-tony-timpa-s-life/

Bye!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33797
    Maybe this should be in P&E folks?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4916
    I can't see any of these clips, Drew, I get "The media could not be played" when I click on them - too many people trying to watch at the same time?

It sounds truly grim.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14424
    I found some B&W Minstrel Show footage on YouTube and showed it to my kids (I'm sure there was a reason at the time) who insisted it was some kind of Spike Lee spoof and that it was never a real thing. 
    Presumably, your children believe that Lenny Henry is a real thing.

Have them to listen to the 18/05/20 edition of Grounded With Louis Theroux.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33797
    Trump is designating Antifa as a terrorist organisation.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonic said:
    Trump is designating Antifa as a terrorist organisation.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antifa_%28Germany%29#Antifaschistische_Aktion

The first organization known as Antifa, Antifaschistische Aktion, was established by the Communist Party of Germany (KPD) based on the principle of a Communist front, and its establishment was announced in the party's newspaper Die Rote Fahne (The Red Flag) in 1932; as such it functioned as an integral part of the KPD during its entire existence from 1932 to 1933.[2] A member of the Comintern, KPD under the leadership of Ernst Thälmann was loyal to the Soviet government headed by Joseph Stalin to the extent that the party had been directly controlled and funded by the Soviet leadership in Moscow since 1928.[1][2] The KPD described Antifaschistische Aktion as a "red united front under the leadership of the only anti-fascist party, the KPD".[3] The KPD had proclaimed that it was "the only anti-fascist party" during the elections of 1930.[1]

The KPD did not view "fascism" as a specific political movement, but primarily as the final stage of capitalism, and "anti-fascism" was therefore synonymous with anti-capitalism

[edit]

under the leadership of Ernst Thälmann, the KPD coined the slogan "After Hitler, our turn!" – strongly believing that a united front against Nazis was not needed, and that a Nazi dictatorship would ultimately crumble due to flawed economic policies and lead the communists to power in Germany when the people realised that the communists' economic policies were superior.[17]

Bye!

• DominicDominic Frets: 16095
    I see the terrible situation in America ;both the cause and the effect but I just don't see what being a nuisance in London has to do with it or why anybody could possibly conceive that making a big deal in London is going to punish our government /Society into doing something about a country that we have no control or influence over ;
    It's like writing to the Medical Council to complain about a bad haircut at your local Barber.
    I'm sure there is international outrage at American Police behaviour which has been out of control for years but we can't do anything about it from Westminster ;we stopped governing America a very long time ago.
  • dafuzzdafuzz Frets: 1522
    There was a march in Peckham yesterday too, saw it on my way home from work. It seemed peaceful and I haven't heard otherwise from my mates who live in Peckham

What's happening in the states isn't much different from the Mark Duggan riots here a few years back: protest about racist police gets hijacked by a bunch of looters looking for an excuse to riot and plunder

There is a lot of frustration about a lot of societal stuff right now, any catalyst can quickly cause escalating unrest

Not looking forward to next week's coronavirus numbers...
    All practice and no theory
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16095
    I hadn't heard of this Antifa before but having just read about them they sound like the complete opposite .
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Dominic said:
    I hadn't heard of this Antifa before but having just read about them they sound like the complete opposite .
    Only a far-right alt-right Trumpette proud boi would ever say something like that. FASCSITS@!!!!!!

Bye!

• John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    I can see how people showing support from other parts of the world would be welcomed,  knowing that more people agreed with your cause isn't a bad thing imo.         It's very sad to see the violence in the states and the lack of social distancing that is going to inevitably cause a spike in covid numbers.   I can't help but feel the recent actions by Cummings et al and the premature relaxing of the lockdown measures will contribute towards people thinking they can take a risk in crowding together.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    I found some B&W Minstrel Show footage on YouTube and showed it to my kids (I'm sure there was a reason at the time) who insisted it was some kind of Spike Lee spoof and that it was never a real thing. 
    Presumably, your children believe that Lenny Henry is a real thing.

Have them to listen to the 18/05/20 edition of Grounded With Louis Theroux.
    Lenny Henry is local royalty! 

My youngest is a big fan of Louis, he's doing documentary making at Uni and likes that kind of style. I'll look that up, ta. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Bye!

• tony99tony99 Frets: 7106
    rage against the machine predicted all this
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4919
    I'm not sure that they are left-wing anarchists.
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4919
    It was ironic that there were arrests in the London protests for breaking social distancing rules and there were photos of Police standing in a line shoulder to shoulder with no PPE.
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7106
    and Karl Marx for that matter, this isn't the world ending, it's changing
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!