The Fretboard Rickenbacker Club (NSFW)

What's Hot

Comments

• GavRichListGavRichList Frets: 7184
    edited May 2022
    Finally played a 330 today. Stunning guitar all round. I don't get the issues with the neck. Yeah it feels a bit thin, but I still had no problem playing chords, or string bends. It was the same as the one in the photo above. I love that colour but think I still prefer the shape of the 360. I think I will finally sell off a lot of stuff and go for a Ric 360.
    The answer is to get both =)

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • 26.226.2 Frets: 527
    I sold my Mapleglo 360 a few weeks back when I needed a bit of cash…this thread is making me wish I’d stopped eating or something instead.
    That was me last summer. What an idiot I was. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1392
    The wings on the 330 always look a bit odd to me, but bloody hell, the one I played last week felt and sounded brilliant.
    edited June 2022
    Early 90s Ric 610 showed up a few hundred miles away from me for around €1,100. I'm tempted to buy without trying. Got sent videos etc and it is in great nick. Talk me out of it please. With those Ric necks, I guess you have to really try them.
    FWIW I tried a 330 recently and had 0 issues with the neck.
    Though I do think I'd prefer one of the semi hollow models.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Early 90s Ric 610 showed up a few hundred miles away from me for around €1,100. I'm tempted to buy without trying. Got sent videos etc and it is in great nick. Talk me out of it please. With those Ric necks, I guess you have to really try them.
    FWIW I tried a 330 recently and had 0 issues with the neck.
    I’d snap their hands off for that. I want it. Buy it. Hate it. Sell it to me. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    This has fast become my favourite guitar. Cost too much, but I don’t care one bit. 

0reaction image LOL 7reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12930
    That is a VERY nice guitar Gav. Love it. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    That is a VERY nice guitar Gav. Love it. 
    Yeah, very happy with it. 9/10 it’s the guitar I pick up first to play of late. It was a bit of a journey to end up with it (buying and selling the ‘08 first) and like I say, I paid through the nose really but was fortunate enough to have just sold a synth for a gigantic profit so it didn’t matter so much. I think *if* you bond with Rics, they’re really quite something. That said, I’ve had 6 over the years and have narrowed my love of them down to a very specific era of neck specs and pickups etc. 
    You are making me want a Ricky again! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    @GavRichList in terms of neck specs how do you mean? Some wider, some thinner on the same model depending on the year?
    @GavRichList in terms of neck specs how do you mean? Some wider, some thinner on the same model depending on the year?
    Yeah. Late 80s to early/mid 90s have a really comfy but definitely slim neck. Personally I love them, but modern ones have far more “normal” feeling necks. The 80s ones are a clear favourite of mine. Early to Mid 2000s ones I’ve played had an odd almost square shaped neck - deep and not all that nice. The 08 I had however was very standard guitar neck, as was the 2020 620. 
    Worth adding though, that these are only personal preferences. QC is pretty consistent throughout, so it’s just down to which flavour you like. 
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12930
    Rickenbacker posted an amazing guitar earlier.

A "blue boy" 330 with black trim. Gorgeous thing.

https://www.facebook.com/235019996581659/posts/pfbid0LsgSYv8R6nhrZB2iXgicea4X2qjPeQ5enx3sV4zgHkvpkjxiuFbS3CsMKxCe3LJ9l/?sfnsn=scwspmo
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9585
    edited June 2022
    Mine has a slim yet chunky neck. Gorgeous to play.

Its aging wonderfully too, as the white turns to cream.

Id prefer the look of the toasters on this one, but these pick ups are some of the loudest yet touch sensitive ive ever played on a Ricky. Ive owned many.

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2252
    edited June 2022
    I've given your a wisdom for the amp. Ric and matchless for the win.

're necks I have a simple mantra, just play the thing. All guitars have foibles. When I had my 330 and a 57ri strat I found it strange going from one to the other as the strat had a pronounced v. It took a minute or two.

I've got an 08 360 now. The neck feels ok. It just takes a minute to adjust but I'm more occupied how glorious it sounds through a vox type amp.
    edited June 2022
    @GavRichList I was hoping you'd talk me out of going for the 610. It's still floating around for sale. It's a 1993 model I believe. I am arguing with myself. Ric or standard tele thinline....
    Rickenbacker posted an amazing guitar earlier.

A "blue boy" 330 with black trim. Gorgeous thing.

https://www.facebook.com/235019996581659/posts/pfbid0LsgSYv8R6nhrZB2iXgicea4X2qjPeQ5enx3sV4zgHkvpkjxiuFbS3CsMKxCe3LJ9l/?sfnsn=scwspmo
    The only guitar I regret selling is my early 2000s Blue Boy 330. It had the rubbish high output hi-gains, rather than the normal output ones that Ric reverted to in 2007, but I didn’t realise that at the time. I sold it to Wunjo in 2014 - would love to be able to buy it back. 
    @GavRichList I was hoping you'd talk me out of going for the 610. It's still floating around for sale. It's a 1993 model I believe. I am arguing with myself. Ric or standard tele thinline....
    Afraid not! Though really the full Ric experience is a 330 or a 360. 

Or both. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Or both. 
    Yes, my head is thinking to hold out for a 330 or 360. Another part of me is saying "wow, a Ric 610 for a great price! But I think I will hold out for the full experience!". I did see a 330 for €2k asking, but I have heard from some Ric enthusiasts they can be had for cheaper, though I have not seen any for cheaper....

Or both. 
    Yes, my head is thinking to hold out for a 330 or 360. Another part of me is saying "wow, a Ric 610 for a great price! But I think I will hold out for the full experience!". I did see a 330 for €2k asking, but I have heard from some Ric enthusiasts they can be had for cheaper, though I have not seen any for cheaper....
    The prices seem to be very high at the minute. The more specific you are with your requirements, inevitably the more expensive the hunt gets. There are bargains to be had though. There's a particularly appealing 1995 Jetglo 330 on reverb at the minute for £1500 - I'd say that was a very good bet. It's been played too, so is likely to be a good one. It's down as collection only, but you might be able to twist their arm if that's not convenient.