What's Hot
123457»

Comments

• HattigolHattigol Frets: 8189
    Hattigol said:
    p90fool said:
    Lebarque said:
    p90fool said:
    The fact that Fender have to be more careful than most about the reputation and image of their "Masterbuilders" highlights the fact that you're not just paying for a guitar. 

You mugs. :) 
    I know what you're saying, but have you played a masterbuilt? Not saying they're worth £6k, but the two I've tried were noticeably better than regular custom shops I've played, which in turn were better than standard lines. Clever marketing though I'll admit.
    No, but I played real pre-CBS Fenders for many years so I'm not very interested in six grand reissues. 

I'm not sure how much "better" I want a Tele or Strat to be tbh, certainly not when the diminishing returns amount to a used Harley Davidson and/or a holiday.  
    Good point. The diminishing returns on £6k Masterbuilts can only be marginal at best.

Stick to those £20k pre-CBS ones  ;)
    You might see your £20k back, but not your full £6k...
    Fair point but I think the discussion was about diminishing returns in quality rather than residual values.
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • danishbacondanishbacon Frets: 2695
    Hattigol said:
    Hattigol said:
    p90fool said:
    Lebarque said:
    p90fool said:
    The fact that Fender have to be more careful than most about the reputation and image of their "Masterbuilders" highlights the fact that you're not just paying for a guitar. 

I know what you're saying, but have you played a masterbuilt? Not saying they're worth £6k, but the two I've tried were noticeably better than regular custom shops I've played, which in turn were better than standard lines. Clever marketing though I'll admit.
    No, but I played real pre-CBS Fenders for many years so I'm not very interested in six grand reissues. 

I'm not sure how much "better" I want a Tele or Strat to be tbh, certainly not when the diminishing returns amount to a used Harley Davidson and/or a holiday.  
    Good point. The diminishing returns on £6k Masterbuilts can only be marginal at best.

You might see your £20k back, but not your full £6k...
    Fair point but I think the discussion was about diminishing returns in quality rather than residual values.
    True, in which case Harley Benton is ready for business.
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31590
    Hattigol said:
    p90fool said:
    Lebarque said:
    p90fool said:

I did get my £170 back when I sold my '63 though :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RonnieHotdogsRonnieHotdogs Frets: 187
    edited June 2020
    His hairstyle tells me all I need to know.
    Some of the posts in his FB page are hilarious. Keith Wasnok sounds like a right charmer. 

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10216200537718066&id=1590673529
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3867
    p90fool said:
    Hattigol said:
    p90fool said:
    Lebarque said:
    p90fool said:

Harley Davidsons, masterbuilts... It's all mid-life crisis fodder to me. Standard Fretboarder profile. :0)
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Dan_HalenDan_Halen Frets: 1648
    Some of the posts in his FB page are hilarious. Keith Wasnok sounds like a right charmer. 

Pretty sure judging people by how they look is the problem.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31590
    Lebarque said:
    p90fool said:
    Hattigol said:
    p90fool said:
    Lebarque said:
    p90fool said:

Harley Davidsons, masterbuilts... It's all mid-life crisis fodder to me. Standard Fretboarder profile. :0)
    Haha I haven't ridden Harleys for 15 years, but it's still my standard unit of measurement when trying to figure out why a 40 quid chopping board of alder bolted to a 50 quid stick of maple costs six thousand pounds.
    :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    p90fool said:
    Haha I haven't ridden Harleys for 15 years, but it's still my standard unit of measurement when trying to figure out why a 40 quid chopping board of alder bolted to a 50 quid stick of maple costs six thousand pounds.
    :)
    I like to think of it as a £6k masterbuilt is more money than a brand new Enfield Interceptor 650

I know which one I’d rather have...
  • LewyLewy Frets: 4213
    Dan_Halen said:

https://m.facebook.com/storyDan_Halen said:

.php?story_fbid=10216200537718066&id=1590673529
    Not really. Unless you are of the opinion that mocking someone for things they could change is the same as discriminating against someone for things they can’t.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Dan_HalenDan_Halen Frets: 1648
    Lewy said:
    Dan_Halen said:

https://m.facebook.com/storyDan_Halen said:

.php?story_fbid=10216200537718066&id=1590673529
    Not really. Unless you are of the opinion that mocking someone for things they could change is the same as discriminating against someone for things they can’t.
    Think you're clearly trolling or just after an argument. How about don't be a dick by not judging or mocking people full stop regardless of whether it's skin colour, hair cut, weight or whatever you'd like?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • AornicAornic Frets: 476
    On one hand, I think the post is indefensible. I wouldn't go so far as to say it's explicitly racist in nature, but it's certainly in poor taste and paints a very poor image of both John and Fender if they had continued with his employment.

On the other hand, what an awful end to a legacy with Fender. The man had worked there since 1987, making his tenure longer than my years on earth by a hair. He built one of the most iconic modern-day guitars, John Mayer's black Strat - that is imitated by so many budding relic and refinishing enthusiasts to this day even though it is mostly retired at this point. This incident might be the final nail in that coffin - and luckily for PRS I don't think anyone there besides Paul himself could cause such a similar stir in the guitar community.

I've never played a John Cruz Strat personally, but to my knowledge they were snatched up rather quickly at outlets and the waiting list for an order was anywhere between a year to three. His presence and expertise was of value - and despite the quickness of Fender's decision, I don't believe it was one taken lightly.

I checked out his Facebook, linked above in this thread, and saw he's changed his profile picture to one of him playing a Les Paul. Defiant to the end maybe?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3298
    edited June 2020
    I'd buy a Cruz Fender based purely on the fact it would save me money now on a great instrument regardless of how much I disagree with his Facebook post.

I wonder how many products you bought today that are designed, built, packed, sold or delivered by people with views that are the polar opposite of yours. 
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    For anyone moaning about free speech, I don't know if it's common here but in the US you often have to sign a social media policy with your job contract. It's likely that he signed and subsequently broke his contract - not that you need a reason to sack employees in the US, in which case it would be an employment rights issue, not a free speech issue
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2326
    edited June 2020
    Will the used prices go up or down?!
  • SeziertischSeziertisch Frets: 1292
    roberty said:
    For anyone moaning about free speech, I don't know if it's common here but in the US you often have to sign a social media policy with your job contract. It's likely that he signed and subsequently broke his contract - not that you need a reason to sack employees in the US, in which case it would be an employment rights issue, not a free speech issue
    I’ve worked for a few US companies (in Europe) and they have all had social media policies for all employees - that is if you do or say something online that reflects badly on your employer, even if it is unrelated to work, they can fire/discipline you.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom