Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Adam Jones LP Custom...

What's Hot

Comments

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22967

Strange one.  That's the flat-topped LP Special SL but around the same time they were making The Paul SL with pretty much identical features - thin all-mahogany body, SL finish, belly cut on the back - except it had a carved top.

Maybe it was more obvious at the time, but with hindsight I can't see the point of making two such similar models.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4142
    edited October 2020
    I'm a huge Tool fan, but I've never wanted his exact guitar. I just wanted to know how he approached his sounds so I could find some inspiration.

Maybe it's coz I'm a lefty, but I don't really get the hype behind guitars. I love guitars sure, but there are so many out there that are good. You could make a killer album with something to say on a Squier.
    You're absolutely right. Guitars are just tools (wink), but I dig LPCs, silverbursts, and Tool on their own merits anyway, so this is an easy thing for me to lust after!
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2901
    edited October 2020
    For anyone into this guitar that doesn't happen to have a spare £10k, you might also want to take a look at the LTD BK-600 if you're not tied into the "it must be a traditional Gibson shape" mindset. For all intents and purposes it's an aged (green) satin silverburst Les Paul Custom with a better neck and headstock joint, ebony board and costs less than a grand. All the LTD guitars I've played have felt miles better than any Epiphone or low end Gibson. I keep returning to really wanting one of those but I'm a huge Mastodon/Bill Kelliher fan which helps I suppose  still hoping for a nice used one to pop up on eBay.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TTBZ said:
     keep returning to really wanting one of those but I'm a huge Mastodon/Bill Kelliher fan which helps I suppose  
    Such a shame his "favourite riffs" video for loudwire was such poor quality footage.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • TTBZ said:
    For anyone into this guitar that doesn't happen to have a spare £10k, you might also want to take a look at the LTD BK-600 if you're not tied into the "it must be a traditional Gibson shape" mindset. For all intents and purposes it's an aged (green) silverburst Les Paul Custom with a better neck and headstock joint, ebony board and costs less than a grand. All the LTD guitars I've played have felt miles better than any Epiphone or low end Gibson. I keep returning to really wanting one of those but I'm a huge Mastodon/Bill Kelliher fan which helps I suppose  
    There's also this one that I've been eyeing up. The skinny neck puts me off a little though, but Andertons have it on offer right now for a tempting price:

I actually asked @DrBob to talk me out of buying this one earlier in the week!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • andy_kandy_k Frets: 818
    I think this clip answers a few questions,
    1, what the buzz is about Tool
    2, you don't need to have a 79 silverburst to get the sound.
    3, you must be a complete maniac to release this video 2 hours after the album was officially released.
    4, you have to have an enormous attention span.
    enjoy.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited October 2020
    TTBZ said:
    For anyone into this guitar that doesn't happen to have a spare £10k, you might also want to take a look at the LTD BK-600 if you're not tied into the "it must be a traditional Gibson shape" mindset. For all intents and purposes it's an aged (green) silverburst Les Paul Custom with a better neck and headstock joint, ebony board and costs less than a grand. All the LTD guitars I've played have felt miles better than any Epiphone or low end Gibson. I keep returning to really wanting one of those but I'm a huge Mastodon/Bill Kelliher fan which helps I suppose  
    There's also this one that I've been eyeing up. The skinny neck puts me off a little though, but Andertons have it on offer right now for a tempting price:

If only they hadn't done such a harsh edge to the burst on that one! If it was a nice smooth burst it'd be perfect.

The necks on these aren't really like shredder guitars, they're more of a Gibson slim taper. So still slim but not flat and uncomfortable like an Ibanez or something.

Edit - actually maybe it's just the photos. Looks great on the Peach website!
  • I'm a huge Tool fan, but I've never wanted his exact guitar. I just wanted to know how he approached his sounds so I could find some inspiration.

Maybe it's coz I'm a lefty, but I don't really get the hype behind guitars. I love guitars sure, but there are so many out there that are good. You could make a killer album with something to say on a Squier.
    I'm in agreement of sorts.  FWIW, as interesting as his guitar sound might be, I'd say the really characteristic aspect of Tool (especially back in the 90's) were the crazy time signatures which IMO is where the real inspiration of the band lies.
    I really think the late 90's and the early 2000's were the pinnacle for guitar tone. Lot of people will disagree with me on that, but there are just so many amazing albums with amazing guitar tones from that era. I think something has been lost since then - not enough low-end in the productions because everyone is obsessing about tightness.

Bye!

• DrBobDrBob Frets: 3006

At the risk of being portrayed as some kind of anti guitar purchasing heretic Si I do feel compelled to point out that that conversation did end with you ordering another, more expensive guitar !
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited October 2020
    I really think the late 90's and the early 2000's were the pinnacle for guitar tone. Lot of people will disagree with me on that, but there are just so many amazing albums with amazing guitar tones from that era. I think something has been lost since then - not enough low-end in the productions because everyone is obsessing about tightness.
    I agree, lots of great sounding stuff from those eras and a big heap of nostalgia for me. Not a popular opinion on forums but I still bloody love the distorted guitar tone on Limp Bizkit's Take A Look Around. Heavy and thick, and still very "real" sounding compared to a lot of modern over processed stuff like Periphery etc (which I also enjoy but it's a very different sound).
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • TTBZ said:

If the neck is the same as my LTD EC256 then it’s by no means skinny. 

I actually find the combination of the neck dimensions and the XJ frets on the LTD to be more comfortable to play than my more traditional Vintage V100. 

• TTBZ said:
    I agree, lots of great sounding stuff from those eras and a big heap of nostalgia for me. Not a popular opinion on forums but I still bloody love the distorted guitar tone on Limp Bizkit's Take A Look Around. Heavy and thick, and still very "real" sounding compared to a lot of modern over processed stuff like Periphery etc (which I also enjoy but it's a very different sound).
    Wez Borland's tone is def awesome. I kinda think that the modern tone is a result of changes in other instruments too. So drums now sound much huger than they did in the 90's and people are typically far more aggresive on the bass distortion both of which eat into former guitar tone territory so you see guitarists move to brighter tones as a result, plus of course with the low tunings, particularly with fast rhythms, cutting the lows before the distortion stage is really helpful to control flub which is kinda the tightness thing I suppose. 

ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • DrBob said:

At the risk of being portrayed as some kind of anti guitar purchasing heretic Si I do feel compelled to point out that that conversation did end with you ordering another, more expensive guitar !
    Lol shhhh!!!! :lol:

Tbh, based on the replies here about LTD necks I might well end up ordering one anyway after the other one is sent back & sorted! :open_mouth: 

• TTBZ said:

If the neck is the same as my LTD EC256 then it’s by no means skinny. 

I actually find the combination of the neck dimensions and the XJ frets on the LTD to be more comfortable to play than my more traditional Vintage V100. 
    Interesting! I might well have to try one then :)

• This guy describes case defects. 

Oh my god, did he put on gloves to pick it up? 

That might just be the saddest thing I've seen. Will any of these be played? 
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    Sweetwater have had a pallet with 13 of these stolen

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Also Trogly hyping the hell out of them 
  • 13 of Sweetwater's Adam Jones signature guitars stolen en route from Gibson:

https://www.musicconnection.com/sweetwater-and-gibson-report-theft-of-limited-edition-guitars/

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Also Trogly hyping the hell out of them 
    That's his job. His site gets hits, he gets money.

I believe 3 have shown up already? 
  • @Roberty @RandallFlagg Wow, that’s incredible! Surely they won’t be an easy sale?? With the serial numbers publicly available now then whoever buys them is going to have a hell of a job moving them on again in future!