Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

What’s Your Favourite Guitar Effects Pedal You’ve Bought In This Horrible Year 2020 ?

What's Hot

Comments

• soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6719
    dogload said:
    I got myself a Nux Roctary which I'm quite liking - does a very acceptable rotary emulation plus the octave up and down isn't bad either. Having said that, I haven't been able to try it with the band yet so it may not cut it live. We'll have to see.

My proper favourite is the VFE White Horse compressor but that was a gift 
    Really underrated pedal this. 
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I am not a pedal guy but I acquired a Tone City Wild Fro. Sounds great fun pedal and cheap
  • markr76markr76 Frets: 360
    Oh and I almost forgot. As well as the pedals I mentioned getting earlier. I bought a Kingsley Minstrel v3. I’d been on the waiting list since January and I’d forgotten about it. It came in October and is a fantastic pedal!
    tone1 said:
    markr76 said:
    I bought a few. 

I got a Thorpy Bunker and field marshal. 
    Then I bought a Thorpy peacekeeper, a pedal I’d already owned a couple of years. But I sold my v1 and bought a v2 for the smaller size. 
    I bought an early 70’s Jen crybaby off eBay. Which is my favourite wah I’ve ever owned.
    Last of all I bought a Foxrox cc hybrid fuzz 2 from Joe’s pedals. It hasn’t come yet as I only ordered in on Xmas day. 
    Didn’t realise Joe’s pedals sold Foxrox pedals. But I’m now thinking of ordering an aquavibe too. To replace my Jam retro vibe v2. I love the retro vibe but the aquavibe is as good apparently and has the bonus of top mounted jacks. My retro vibe has always bugged me with the amount of space it takes up on my packed pedalboard. 
    I fancy a retro vibe too, but the side mounted jacks are putting me off 
    The retro vibe really is an amazing pedal. Apart from the side mounted jacks. I was a bit disappointed with the expression pedal too. I bought it direct from jam. It works well, but is really cheap looking. Very plasticky. As far as I know as well. You have to use their pedal. No others are compatible. It didn’t cost much, but all the same. 
    My retro vibe is a custom painted one too. But I will definitely be selling it now I think as I got carried away today and actually bought an aquavibe. 
  • steersteer Frets: 1189
    edited December 2020
    I only got 2 pedals this year.

A fuzz Factory kit from Fuzzdogs that I put together under lockdown 1. It's insanely brilliant, even if I still dont know what each dial does. It is unlike any other pedal I have ever tried and I would recommend this pedal highly. It does crazy weird fuzz and psychodelic squeals. Also can be tamed to give a strat a delicious Germanium clean boost, that Pete Thorn would approve of.

The other pedal is comepley different - a Digitech Trio. Brilliant tool for practice. Perfect pedal for lockdown, if jamming / practicing with your friends / band is impossible. It learns your song and adds a backing bass / drums track. Better practice tool than a looper IMO,
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2246
    I bought 3 pedals in one transaction in Feb before all the craziness. I still have them. They are a Fulldrive 2, Prince of Tone and a Zen Drive. I don't need them but they have helped with boredom this year. 

I also bought a pedal and its being shipped. I'll do a npd when I get it.
  • GreatapeGreatape Frets: 3578
    Secret Preamp. Has become indispensable.

Also bought a Mooer phaser, but that was unimpressive. 
  • DoctorXDoctorX Frets: 366
    markr76 said:

My retro vibe is a custom painted one too. But I will definitely be selling it now I think as I got carried away today and actually bought an aquavibe. 
    Please let us know what you think of the Aquavibe when it arrives, I’d be interested to hear your thoughts on how it compares to the Jam.
    DoctorX said:
    markr76 said:

Please let us know what you think of the Aquavibe when it arrives, I’d be interested to hear your thoughts on how it compares to the Jam.
    Sure will. The cc hybrid and the aquavibe just got delivered as I was heading out the door for work. So I’ll try check them out tomorrow. A lot of people reckon the retro vibe is more vintage sounding. But then if you look at the destructions, there’s an internal trimmer that adjusts to a more vintage correct setting on the aquavibe. 
  • melodmelod Frets: 136
    pedalo said:
    I purchased soooo many pedals this year. It’s really troubling. The best by far was the Origin Effects Magma 57. 

The only other purchase with as big of an impact on my tone was the Zilla cab I bought. 
    I am so itching for the magma 57 (or a benson preamp) but inprefer the sparkle magma seems to have.

Damn you GAS!
  • None. Not one! I'm using a zoom g5n and it's fantastic. I use a Marshall jcm800 model (with cab model) in the front of my vox for drive sounds, and add a drive model at the front for old school randy tones.

Also has a wah in it, and I can put a reverb and phaser/delay/whatever on. I have lost all effects GAS. The drive sounds great for home practice, and I can even plug in headphones. 
  • I sold and bought a fair bit  but my favourite would have to be the 2 x Arcades from Cooper Fx. I have 7 cards now and all have fantastic programs. They suit me because you can kind of put a card  in and work with it which I find inspiring and if it doesn't do it for you that day you can just pop a new one and explore a whole  new area of sound. A nice  blend of limits and excess at the same time ha. 
  • pedalopedalo Frets: 178
    keir said:
    pedalo said:
    I purchased soooo many pedals this year. It’s really troubling. The best by far was the Origin Effects Magma 57. 

The only other purchase with as big of an impact on my tone was the Zilla cab I bought. 
    The magma 57 sounds amazing in all the demos I’ve heard. Would definitely like to try one. 

I’m also in the market for a Zilla cab. Which one did you buy?
    I bought the Ported 1x12 Closed Back with a Creamback H in it. Absolutely splendid!
  • jellybellyjellybelly Frets: 756
    edited December 2020
    I've bought a few I've owned before and stupidly sold, so I won't count those. Two new ones which have earned important spots on my board though:

TRex Mudhoney 2 - replacing a Rat that died, this thing somehow ends up being both one of the best distortion pedals AND one of the best overdrive pedals I've ever played. And I can set it up as both! Plus they were being sold 'new' cheaper than some mentalists wanted for a used one on eBay. £95 delivered, no brainer. 

TC Flashback X4 - it's been out a while but never tried it, always assumed it would be inferior to the Boss Dd7 I used to own and the Hardwire DL8 that replaced it. Nope, it's a step above, dynamically, sonically, and the looper is great for drones and ambient stuff, the start/end of loop end seemlessly which is not my experience with most delay pedals with a loop mode. Plus I'm still finding toneprints I like. Latest one I've loved is the Troy Van Leeuwen 'Warble tape' preset. I think the analog dry and the way it blends the two signals is excellent but difficult to put into words. It's not much different in that respect to the magic in El Capistan. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5170
    Well... I’ve got to the last day of the year and I’m only using 2 pedals.....A lazy j Cruiser and a Lazy J cruiser deuce.....I find the option paralysis of the 2 button deuce a bit much sometimes, so the single button cruiser appeals to my simplified brain.... :3
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4038
    edited December 2020
    [deleted a tangent on the pedals I have not bought this year.]
  • My inbound-for-2020 keepers are a Benson Preamp, a second Thorpy Fat General v2, a MXR M300 reverb and a Providence Anadime chorus. Sixteen(!) others have come and gone thanks to tone-chasing.
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5429
    I just snuck in one more before the calendar changes - a Mr. Black Tapex 2 - and I love it. Had nothing in my stable that could do a stereo tape effect, only BBD type stuff so happy to fill that gap. The “damaged” mode is my favourite mind you - very clever. It’s a super cool tape effect and worth comparing against the usual suspects. 
  • JayGeeJayGee Frets: 1260
    I bought exactly one pedal this year (and that turned up yesterday, squeaking in by a matter of hours) so not a hard choice.

That said, it’s a new and very strong contender for  “Most ridiculously, stupidly, improbably good sounding pedal which doesn’t need to make any apologies for its ridiculously low price tag”. It’s a TC Third Dimension chorus and not only does it sound great but I’m really enjoying the “just push a couple of buttons and get on with it” simplicity - there may only be 16 possible combinations of four buttons (and not all of those necessarily valid or distinct) but they’re all very usable :-)
    Don't ask me, I just play the damned thing...
  • DavidReesDavidRees Frets: 335
    I sold pretty much everything I had when I thought my arthritic thumb problem would mean an end to my playing days but decided to keep the Origin Effects Slide Rig Compact Deluxe mk 2 which was a birthday gift to myself and which as I progressively recover does make me sound much better than I really am - compressors do that, and this one does it exceptionally well  :) ...