Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Uh oh Fender... Instagram accusations of being misogynistic

What's Hot
Fender has been accused of being inappropriate again, what do you guys think?

Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7769
    edited February 2021
    Who says the guitars are female?

1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7142
    edited February 2021
    I think it just has upset around 50% of Fender's growing target market and so not their greatest PR moment.

https://www.rollingstone.com/pro/news/fender-study-finds-half-of-new-guitarists-are-women-738025/

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • BigsbyBigsby Frets: 2934
    I reckon, if people continue to become increasingly thin skinned, humourless and desperate to be a victim of some one else's '-ism' at the current rate, we'll have to give up using words within the next 10 or 20 years. Things will quieten down then.
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 36reaction image Wisdom
  • AlexCAlexC Frets: 2396
    I don’t get it. What’s that photograph of two male models in their pants got to do with guitars. Not so much a humour bypass on my part, more a complete lack of understanding. Can someone clarify for me, please?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7142
    Here is a good explanation of why this was not okay

https://www.instagram.com/stories/camillabasskilla/2517299593185875458/?hl=en

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • I'm assuming the guitars had Brazilian rosewood? or have I missed something? 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    I like to think I’m fairly ‘right on’ and I absolutely don’t approve of going out of ones way to be offensive and hurtful. Nor do I approve of going out of ones way to be offended. There’s actually plenty of actual dickishness, without seeing it where there is none. And I agree with calling out shitty behaviour..
     The advert.? I don’t know what they were going for.. whatever the intent, it’s gone right over my head..
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • PabcranePabcrane Frets: 489
    I think Camilla from The Veronicas nailed it. It was a bit weird and creepy. It would appear that this was pointed out to Fender who thought better of the post and took it down because it was a bit weird and creepy. Doesn't appear to be any pitchforks et cetera being raised or threats to throw away one's Fender.

As far as I can see it didn't even have the saving grace of being remotely funny or witty. It was just careless, stupid and bit shitty.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 9reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    Is it a requirement of Master Builders to be Master Bators>
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30912
    Did Camilla just assume the guitars' gender?

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• DeeTeeDeeTee Frets: 764
    edited February 2021
    usedtobe said:
    I like to think I’m fairly ‘right on’ and I absolutely don’t approve of going out of ones way to be offensive and hurtful. Nor do I approve of going out of ones way to be offended. There’s actually plenty of actual dickishness, without seeing it where there is none. And I agree with calling out shitty behaviour..
     The advert.? I don’t know what they were going for.. whatever the intent, it’s gone right over my head..
    It was intended as Sid James style innuendo. "You know, couple of Brazilians, ey? You know what they're like, am I right? Eh? Bounce 'em on your knee, talk about the first thing that comes up, right? Luvvly jubbly. Phwoar." Etc etc.

It's pretty tone deaf in the modern world, especially if the company involved has been vocal in its attempts to market to women.
  • DaevidJDaevidJ Frets: 414
    Yeah that's a bit crass... Ofc most of us white dudes would not see an issue with it or miss the inference or complain that they are being oppressed or something
  • Pabcrane said:
    I think Camilla from The Veronicas nailed it. It was a bit weird and creepy. It would appear that this was pointed out to Fender who thought better of the post and took it down because it was a bit weird and creepy. Doesn't appear to be any pitchforks et cetera being raised or threats to throw away one's Fender.

As far as I can see it didn't even have the saving grace of being remotely funny or witty. It was just careless, stupid and bit shitty.

We could end the thread right there. Without even going into "is it mysoginistic/racist/etc", it's just the sort of lewd/creepy stuff your drunken uncle might drop over dinner. It's simply not funny, and i fail to see how it could appeal to any sort of demographic from a marketing point of view.
    Click here to see me butchering some classic solos!
  • PabcranePabcrane Frets: 489
    edited February 2021
    Gassage said:
    I think it was the bit about hanging off your neck - which fairly traditionally would be associated with females more than males. You're probably right that she assumed it as it was not explicitly stated however it seems a reasonable assumption on her part given our social history and linguistic suggestive connotations.

Edit: grammer
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4917
    They should do a whole series offending every minority/nation/race/creed and then say they're not being discriminatory.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Relic humour
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30912
    Pabcrane said:
    Gassage said:
    I think it was the bit about hanging off your neck - which fairly traditionally would be associated with females more than males. You're probably right that she assumed it as it was not explicitly stated however it seems a reasonable assumption on her part given our social history and linguistic suggestive connotations.

Edit: grammer

Then that's pretty homophobic of her. Braz guys are hot.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• brooombrooom Frets: 1174
    Amazing fender... you've done it again!
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33795
    This forum gets a mention here in relation to social media posts by John Cruz:

https://guitar.com/news/industry-news/fender-custom-shop-master-builder-john-cruz/

When did this happen?
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    Bigsby said:
    I reckon, if people continue to become increasingly thin skinned, humourless and desperate to be a victim of some one else's '-ism' at the current rate, we'll have to give up using words within the next 10 or 20 years. Things will quieten down then.
    It's worryingly pathetic, more and more people are becoming completely obsessed with political correctness. It must be to the point where a lot of people are viewing internet posts, watching tv shows/films, listening to songs etc. and the first thing on their mind is "is this politically correct?".

I don't even think more people are actually feeling genuine offence more often, it's that more people want to make it part of their identity that they're the type of person to point out lapses in political correctness.

Even competition to come up with complicated ways something is cryptically offensive before anyone else noticed it was problematic.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom