Fender "QC" - Is this acceptable these days?

What's Hot

Comments

• PhilMPhilM Frets: 279
    edited April 2021
    skunkwerx said:
    That is bad. 

In my experience its par for the course in terms
    of yeah, the factory would send that out, the distributor would send it to a shop, and a shop would sell it.

Chances are the factory are the only ones one to have even known about this, the rest probably didnt check it, or if they did, didnt care/easier to send on than fill out a return/defect thing. 

Try taking any manufacturer/distributor to task about it though.. for any goods not just guitars. Better off trying to build one yourself.

I've emailed Fender with the pictures - not sure if anyone from Fender UK uses this board anymore? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6881
    PhilM said:
    skunkwerx said:
    That is bad. 

In my experience its par for the course in terms
    of yeah, the factory would send that out, the distributor would send it to a shop, and a shop would sell it.

Chances are the factory are the only ones one to have even known about this, the rest probably didnt check it, or if they did, didnt care/easier to send on than fill out a return/defect thing. 

Try taking any manufacturer/distributor to task about it though.. for any goods not just guitars. Better off trying to build one yourself.

I've emailed Fender with the pictures - not sure if anyone from Fender UK uses this board anymore? 
    Think Matt does still. He is a good fella. Fender Uk have been pretty helpful in general including when I had an issue previously in all fairness.
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
  • StormshadowGuitarsStormshadowGuitars Frets: 1218
    tFB Trader
    Masterbuilt by Steven Wonder!! That'll be their latest marketing technique to charge you more for it.

On a serious note, utterly shocking and should have never left the factory.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12665
    TBH, if the shop aren't checking an £800 guitar before dispatch, its time to find a better retailer.

Its easy to blame Fender for QC but depending on their sales contracts, they used to have a clause that said they expected the retailer to examine all received as goods as fit for sale before selling them. The store should be doing more than shifting boxes on a sale of that nature. Your contract of sale is with the store, not Fender - I'd be going apeshit at the store and "waiting for the next run" is not an acceptable solution. 

I'd name and shame the store...
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3654
    Gerz6558 said:
    Shocking. No excuse, but I wonder whether all these factories chasing their tails with back orders during the pandemic is causing a slippage with standards.  No facts behind that BTW! Just wondering.
    Quite possible.

Whether it's speeding up production to meet demand, labour shortages due to illness or just changes in working practice in order to distance in the factory - it's all changes to the process and process changes cause quality spikes.

• impmannimpmann Frets: 12665
    PhilM said:
    dazzajl said:
    Yeah.... That is totally appalling and should never have been allowed out of the factory like that. And then it should also have never been allowed of the shop like that either. In reality, it should have never been allowed into stock and suggests that the boxes are shipped without even a cursory glance at the merchandise. This is the GuitarGuitar Roasted Maple special I'm guessing? 

There is nothing there that is going to ruin the guitar or that cant be sorted out. So if I really loved how that particular one feels and sounds (awful nut not withstanding) I'd be looking to keep it, along with a VERY substantial discount. Since it could be a very long time, or never, for a replacement. 
    Correct. It is pretty unplayable out of the box, so not had a chance to form any attachment. GG doesn't open boxes apparently, as it gives the impression that the goods are "second hand" to some customers. Hmmm. If I was selling a special run that was exclusive to my retailer, every single one would be opened, QC'd, and at least attempted at a basic setup so it was playable out of the box.
    Just caught this... so this is Guitar Guitar? And they don't open boxes?

BOLLOCKS.

Utter crap. They are bullshitting you.

Like I said... time to find a better retailer.

Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TheBigDipperTheBigDipper Frets: 4775
    We all know Fender should be ashamed that this guitar bears their name. The question is, will they be? We are in an era of shamelessness.
  • LooseMooseLooseMoose Frets: 908
    Funnily enough, those 'roasted' necks seem to suffer from hideous QC.  I ordered THREE from a well known jungle-based retailer (I know, I know) and returned every single one with those terrible score marks, lifted and cloudy lacquer or hideous fretwork.

So if anyone sees a 'Warehouse deal' on a roasted maple strat neck, don't bother!
    Funnily enough, those 'roasted' necks seem to suffer from hideous QC.  I ordered THREE from a well known jungle-based retailer (I know, I know) and returned every single one with those terrible score marks, lifted and cloudy lacquer or hideous fretwork.

So if anyone sees a 'Warehouse deal' on a roasted maple strat neck, don't bother!
    I've had two necks that have actually been spot-on. The neck on this model is different - the fretboard is finished in satin too, whereas the aftermarket ones are gloss.
  • mbembe Frets: 1840
    impmann said:

I think it's the shop that's so good they named it twice.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    PhilM said:

I've had two necks that have actually been spot-on. The neck on this model is different - the fretboard is finished in satin too, whereas the aftermarket ones are gloss.
    Interesting, my aftermarkets were both satin!  Pot luck?
    mbe said:
    impmann said:

I think it's the shop that's so good they named it twice.
    theguitarampkeyboardcentre, the guitarampkeyboardcentre?  Not very catchy...
    PhilM said:

Interesting, my aftermarkets were both satin!  Pot luck?
    Probably factory seconds then - the aftermarket ones should absoloutly be gloss on the fretboard, satin round the back
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4918
    That is pretty crappy really.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72324
    Absolutely unacceptable at any price point above the lowest possible entry level.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12900
    impmann said:
    PhilM said:
    dazzajl said:
    Yeah.... That is totally appalling and should never have been allowed out of the factory like that. And then it should also have never been allowed of the shop like that either. In reality, it should have never been allowed into stock and suggests that the boxes are shipped without even a cursory glance at the merchandise. This is the GuitarGuitar Roasted Maple special I'm guessing? 

There is nothing there that is going to ruin the guitar or that cant be sorted out. So if I really loved how that particular one feels and sounds (awful nut not withstanding) I'd be looking to keep it, along with a VERY substantial discount. Since it could be a very long time, or never, for a replacement. 
    Correct. It is pretty unplayable out of the box, so not had a chance to form any attachment. GG doesn't open boxes apparently, as it gives the impression that the goods are "second hand" to some customers. Hmmm. If I was selling a special run that was exclusive to my retailer, every single one would be opened, QC'd, and at least attempted at a basic setup so it was playable out of the box.

BOLLOCKS.

That guitar is unacceptable, but to be fair to the retailer there are some weirdos out there who would get angry at *not* receiving a factory fresh and sealed guitar.

There was a guy on here (or musicradar, maybe) who used to go to a shop, try out guitars, and then if he was buying he'd ask them to go get a sealed one out the back to take home rather than take the sullied one that he'd actually played. 
    4reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6881
    impmann said:
    PhilM said:
    dazzajl said:

BOLLOCKS.

That guitar is unacceptable, but to be fair to the retailer there are some weirdos out there who would get angry at *not* receiving a factory fresh and sealed guitar.

There was a guy on here (or musicradar, maybe) who used to go to a shop, try out guitars, and then if he was buying he'd ask them to go get a sealed one out the back to take home rather than take the sullied one that he'd actually played. 
    Lol I’ve done that once.
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11295
    A shop should sell guitars in a fit state to be played. Would you accept a television where you had to finish it off yourself?

Things like string gauge and action are personal preferences and some leeway must be given but the guitar itself should be in a condition to accept those preferences and be otherwise in ready-to-play condition. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Well, they've found a spare one and have offered to swap them over on Wednesday - after thoroughly inspecting the other one. Problem is, I'm working away all week and to come back to the office (delivery address) to inspect it and collect it is 110 miles and a couple of hours out of my way. That part of the email was initially totally ignored - when pressed they offered me a £20 gift card - which is great if I was planning to purchase anything from them again. Which is looking increasingly unlikely.
  • PonchoGregPonchoGreg Frets: 764

Maybe they should ask Charvel's Mexican operation how to do it. Oh, wait... :)
    Click here to see me butchering some classic solos!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom