Fender "QC" - Is this acceptable these days?

What's Hot
123457»

Comments

• TheBigDipperTheBigDipper Frets: 4796
    Tannin said:

Crappy as that sounds, your only idea of what Fender is saying is hearsay from someone junior-ish at the retailer. He might not be telling you the truth. Maybe... 
    Not so. Fender has had every opportunity to say exactly what they want to say. Phil contacted Fender direct and the company made no effort to say anything. 

For what it's worth, it seems clear to me that Fender regard the quality of that finish as within spec for that level of their range. So far as Fender is concerned, if you want better than that, they have models at two, three, and five times the price. Buy one of them. 

Or, as Phil has decided to do, buy something better finished from any of a hundred different makers, every one of them prepared to try harder for your hard-earned.   
    Yes, so. Until Fender starts to communicate directly with the customer instead of using the retailer to mange the customer relationship, none of us knows what their view is. We only know what the retailer told the OP and what the guitar looks like. I wasn't commenting on anything other than there is a possibility that what the retailer is telling the OP is not what Fender told the retailer. 

Everything else you've written is quite possible, but purely your opinion. Unless you work in this area for Fender and know something you'd like to share? 

FWIW - I've already said I think it's a disgrace to consider that level of finish to be acceptable. I wouldn't accept that guitar. We just don't know for a fact who specifically thinks otherwise, or why. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PhilMPhilM Frets: 279
    Nerine said:
    Not trying to be cynical about this, but this is literally why I will happily drive/travel for 2-3 hours each way to actually try a guitar before I part with my ££££. And I will bring home the very guitar I tried. It’s a known entity. 

Yes it could be seen as a bit of a chore (I actually don’t mind it - New guitar day - I’m gonna make a day of it, absolutely! Stick some tunes on the stereo, stop for food etc.) but it’s saves all this utter bullshit.

The time/stress it takes in hassle and emails and what have you, is far more than just doing the trip. 

(Yes, yes. I know. Covid etc. But you know what I mean. I’m making a blanket statement for all these types of “guitar turned up not as expected” complaints, even pre-Covid, and I’m sure we’ll see many more when lockdown has ended. Just be patient and wait till the shops open and try/buy the guitar in person. Hassle = none. Nasty surprises = none etc etc.)

Also, the scratches on that neck are utterly shite. Get rid. Abysmal finishing on that. 

This was my 3rd (maybe?) guitar bought blind via the internet. Not something I make a habit of doing, and not something I've done before for anything worth more than £500. As I said earlier, these guitars are limited runs in unusual colours and the first batch sold out very quickly. I had been waiting for three months for this to arrive - I was happy to do so based on my past experiences with Fender because I assumed that I would receive a quality product at the end of the wait. And if I didn't, I (incorrectly) assumed that either the retailer (Guitar Guitar) or Fender GBI would be able to sort the issues. I will never buy from Guitar Guitar (including in a store) again because their handling of this has been terrible. 

I wasn't commenting on anything other than there is a possibility that what the retailer is telling the OP is not what Fender told the retailer. 

There's a good possibility you are correct here ;)
    @MattFGBI has stepped in and a (more than) amicable agreement has been reached directly with Fender. Needless to say I'll not be having anything to do with GuitarGuitar ever again after this 
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • droflufdrofluf Frets: 3707
    That’s great news!
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2326
    Go Fender and Matt! 
  • jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 2734
    Tannin said:

Yes, so. Until Fender starts to communicate directly with the customer instead of using the retailer to mange the customer relationship, none of us knows what their view is. We only know what the retailer told the OP and what the guitar looks like. I wasn't commenting on anything other than there is a possibility that what the retailer is telling the OP is not what Fender told the retailer. 

This is the retailer's job to sort out, not Fenders. 

The guitar was bought via a retailer, so it is their responsibility to sort it out.

That's the whole point of having retailers (they have to do something for there margin), .
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TheBigDipperTheBigDipper Frets: 4796
    jpfamps said:
    Tannin said:

This is the retailer's job to sort out, not Fenders. 

The guitar was bought via a retailer, so it is their responsibility to sort it out.

That's the whole point of having retailers (they have to do something for there margin), .
    Quite. Unless the retailer is not sorting anything out by telling porkies about what the manufacturer thinks. It could just as easily be the manufacturer has changed their story as the OP climbs the food chain. 

Pleased the OP is happy with the final outcome. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Mike58Mike58 Frets: 162
    edited September 2022
    Glad you got a good response... it does tho make me wonder if some ( obviously not GG) big box dealers actually buy factory seconds at massively reduced prices and just PUNT them , knowing that the actual returns will be low enough to turn a big profit as most punters are not yer Fretboard cognitensi .
    Just sayin’
  • BigsbyBigsby Frets: 2959
    Mike58 said:
    Glad you got a good response... it does tho make me wonder if some ( obviously not GG) big box dealers actually buy factory seconds at massively reduced prices and just PUNT them , knowing that the actual returns will be low enough to turn a big profit as most punters are not yer Fretboard cognitensi .
    Just sayin’
    Unlikely, as it risks damaging their reputation, along with the brands, and thus it would risk damaging their relationship with the brand itself - who clearly would NOT want seconds being sold as new stock. That's the whole point of them being seconds!

The closest I've seen to this sort of thing was in 2014, when I saw several 'EBay dealers' were selling a specific PRS SE model as 'ex-demo' at a hefty discount. I bought one. It seemed unplayed, but I discovered a paint run flaw on the back of the neck. The dealer apologised, and said the guitar had come from PRS/distributor as an ex-demo model, and had probably been on display at events. It made sense that a company used seconds on display, where the flaw would not be visible, but I was a bit surprised that they'd then been sold off. They weren't being sold as 'new', but describing factory seconds as 'ex-demo' still seemed a bit off to me. Then again, it could've been a genuine error. (FWIW, It was all resolved OK at the time)
  • PALPAL Frets: 540
    This is the reason Fender sacked a whole shift of workers & some QC managers and pulled back output a bit.
      It's not acceptable but it happens when companies try to put out too many guitars to make money.
      Due to the Fender layoffs the output is less hand hopefully QC will improve !
  • marxskimarxski Frets: 250
    edited October 2022
    Just returned a brand new Custom Shop - one of the side dots was missing and never even drilled, strings slipped off side of neck, one of the screws on trem plate at an angle, case latch didn’t open without a lot of persuasion. This was made in early ‘21 - height of pandemic. Fortunately the retailer was sympathetic and I was swiftly refunded. Poor QC is affecting all ranges. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • YorkieYorkie Frets: 1509
    marxski said:
    Poor QC is affecting all ranges. 
    I have bought and returned three guitars since 2020. The first one had a badly finished top and the neck pickup wasn’t even wired. The replacement had an equally bad top and developed a crack on the fretboard. The third one had a large glue mark around the nut and the pickups were not wired correctly - I am still deciding what to do with this one, as it plays and sounds good. 

It’s a very bad sign when you can get more predictable results buying second hand. 

Jon
    Adopted northerner with Asperger syndrome. I sometimes struggle with empathy and sarcasm – please bear with me.   
    My trading feedback: https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/210335/yorkie

Yorkie said:
    marxski said:
    I have bought and returned three guitars since 2020. The first one had a badly finished top and the neck pickup wasn’t even wired. The replacement had an equally bad top and developed a crack on the fretboard. The third one had a large glue mark around the nut and the pickups were not wired correctly - I am still deciding what to do with this one, as it plays and sounds good. 

It’s a very bad sign when you can get more predictable results buying second hand. 

Jon
    Pre Covid Fender = the new Pre CBS? Retailer told me they have returned up to 30%
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72420
    marxski said:
    Just returned a brand new Custom Shop - one of the side dots was missing and never even drilled, strings slipped off side of neck, one of the screws on trem plate at an angle, case latch didn’t open without a lot of persuasion. This was made in early ‘21 - height of pandemic. Fortunately the retailer was sympathetic and I was swiftly refunded. Poor QC is affecting all ranges. 
    That's really surprising. I've never seen QC faults like that on any CS Fender, and to have several on one guitar would make me question if it was even a Fender CS at all - but presumably if brand new from a reputable dealer, it was...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • YorkieYorkie Frets: 1509
    edited October 2022
    marxski said:
    Yorkie said:
    marxski said:

Jon
    Pre Covid Fender = the new Pre CBS? Retailer told me they have returned up to 30%
    My guitars weren’t Fender, but I would imagine this is affecting all brands, all ranges. 

I am a perfectionist, and can work from home no problem, yet my QC in the last two years has also taken a hit. When I look at the guitar with the glue marks, I look at myself and think that maybe I should accept this one as it is. 
    Adopted northerner with Asperger syndrome. I sometimes struggle with empathy and sarcasm – please bear with me.   
    My trading feedback: https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/210335/yorkie

ICBM said:
    marxski said:
    That's really surprising. I've never seen QC faults like that on any CS Fender, and to have several on one guitar would make me question if it was even a Fender CS at all - but presumably if brand new from a reputable dealer, it was...
    Yes it was brand new from a CS main dealer with all the paperwork and inspection tags. I was disappointed as it was a ‘59 Vintage Custom Strat in Chocolate Sunburst NOS which only come in from time to time. 

It was alas a Friday afternoon and everyone is off with Covid guitar. Dealer gave me zero grief and I don’t blame them other than not noticing any of it!