Fender "QC" - Is this acceptable these days?

What's Hot

Comments

• euaneuan Frets: 1498
    Thats 100% a gloss neck that has been flatted back with some grey scotchbrite.

Think of it as a modern version of taking a sunburst Strat and painting it CAR
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PhilMPhilM Frets: 279
    euan said:
    Thats 100% a gloss neck that has been flatted back with some grey scotchbrite.

Think of it as a modern version of taking a sunburst Strat and painting it CAR
    I've point-blank asked Fender GBI if this is the case
    The OG FSR roasted maple necks had a gloss fingerboard and satin neck. Does the neck have the same marks?
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8823
    tFB Trader
    @PhilM it looks like they’ve used coarse wire wool on the (urethane) finish to “matte” it. Assuming your headstock is gloss? I can only imagine this was done to make the manufacturing process quicker (they spray the entire neck gloss and dull it at the end). They could have done it differently, of course. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72420
    If that’s the second attempt they’re most likely all like that. I’d send it back and get one with a normal maple neck, personally... at worst, the scratches won’t show as much.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    euan said:
    The OG FSR roasted maple necks had a gloss fingerboard and satin neck. Does the neck have the same marks?
    The two necks I’ve got that are gloss front, satin back are flawless
    @PhilM it looks like they’ve used coarse wire wool on the (urethane) finish to “matte” it. Assuming your headstock is gloss? I can only imagine this was done to make the manufacturing process quicker (they spray the entire neck gloss and dull it at the end). They could have done it differently, of course. 
    The entire neck is satin. A closer look at the headstock shows that’s also had the wire wool/scotchbrite treatment, except that’s been done left-right, not up-down like the fretboard and is hardly noticeable 
    PhilM said:
    euan said:
    The two necks I’ve got that are gloss front, satin back are flawless
    The same marks on the headstock face just confirm that to meet Guitar Guitar’s all satin neck finish Fender just grabbed some roasted maple necks from the line and spent five minutes on each to flat it back.

The finish passed QC as it is as intended. By Fender, probably not Guitar Guitar. 
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5770
    I think for most of us, the little bit of marking from cutting back the gloss wouldn’t be an issue, if we loved the guitar. This has been such a week of let down and disappointment though that maybe the whole thing is now sullied beyond repair?
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2326
    Another let down... Sorry its been no fun! 
    edited April 2021
    Still nothing from Fender GBI - called them again today and "your case is still being looked at, someone will respond soon" apparently. Nothing from GG either, so I've emailed again telling them that No2 is still not ideal and sent them the below pic of my un-sanded glossy strip between the nut and the truss rod hole. Obviously, someone forgot to sand that bit They also missed the edges of the headstock in places.

• jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 2734
    PhilM said:
    "Just for a bit of context - this guitar was shipped from our warehouse so was boxed sealed stock from Fender. I completely understand that you feel that we should have opened this to check it, and I completely agree, however, whether to open an item and check it, or leave it factory sealed, is one of those decisions where you are damned if you do and damned if you don't. Some customers would rather the set-up is checked and some customers don't want any hands on it at all. I think this should have been checked over but at the same time if it was boxed sealed from Fender then you wouldn't expect it to have the issues you have highlighted."

There are definitely customers who want a factory boxed, and unopened item. People will even try a guitar / amp out in a shop, and then ask to buy an unopened and boxed example.

The real nub of this for me is that people scour the internet for the cheapest prices, and then complain that the service they get isn't very good, having contributed to the eroding of the margin required to pay for the service.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 9reaction image Wisdom
    jpfamps said:
    PhilM said:
    "Just for a bit of context - this guitar was shipped from our warehouse so was boxed sealed stock from Fender. I completely understand that you feel that we should have opened this to check it, and I completely agree, however, whether to open an item and check it, or leave it factory sealed, is one of those decisions where you are damned if you do and damned if you don't. Some customers would rather the set-up is checked and some customers don't want any hands on it at all. I think this should have been checked over but at the same time if it was boxed sealed from Fender then you wouldn't expect it to have the issues you have highlighted."

There are definitely customers who want a factory boxed, and unopened item. People will even try a guitar / amp out in a shop, and then ask to buy an unopened and boxed example.

The real nub of this for me is that people scour the internet for the cheapest prices, and then complain that the service they get isn't very good, having contributed to the eroding of the margin required to pay for the service.
    I get that totally - maybe with distance selling there should be an option where you opt-in to a "please check my order over before dispatch" service. Would save the retailer the hassle and expense of collecting and replacing sub-par gear. 

For what it's worth if I try something in a shop and I like it, I buy that actual one. I would have preferred to have tried this Strat before purchase, but the first run sold out very quickly and I had to blind order one from the second run. Its a non-standard colour (for a player series) as well as having the roasted maple neck and custom shop pickups.

• jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 2734
    PhilM said:
    jpfamps said:
    PhilM said:

I get that totally - maybe with distance selling there should be an option where you opt-in to a "please check my order over before dispatch" service. Would save the retailer the hassle and expense of collecting and replacing sub-par gear. 

For what it's worth if I try something in a shop and I like it, I buy that actual one. I would have preferred to have tried this Strat before purchase, but the first run sold out very quickly and I had to blind order one from the second run. Its a non-standard colour (for a player series) as well as having the roasted maple neck and custom shop pickups.

Yeah, I can understand that.

And you are covered by distance selling regulations.

It's also worth pointing out that few shops have much in the way of technical back up (again this costs money), so most warranty repairs have to go back to Fender. And if the item retails for under about £150 Fender simply want to see a picture of it destroyed and in the bin so they can refund you. 

One of the advantages of Denmark St. is that there are several workshops on hand to provide technical support for the shops here.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6881
    GG are sacks of shit. 

When I had the Ltd Snakebyte debacle, they sent me out this (brand new @ £1300 by the way): 

Thats how it was.. usually they have some foam or a sheath at least.. 

Nut was halfway inboard with a surface crack in the finish both sides. 

Fretboard had about 7 of these worm holes:

A random finish imperfection. 

And well, overall look at the tooling marks on the board: 

Some extra finish cracks: 

And a random half torn sticker with 13 written on it. Wtf. 

I complained to Esp themselves, who said they cant help as they are in the Usa.. er ok. 

They put me in touch with Sound services (the Uk’s Esp distributor) who were initially helpful.. well as far as saying they have another Snakebyte they can send to GG for me to then buy, but would liaise with GG about it first. They wouldnt let me buy it direct from them, but said they’d check it before sending to the store.

Arranged a return with Gg for this one. Didnt want it sat here for x amount of weeks whilst I waited for a replacement. Got the refund. Sound services said they were talking with GG and were just awaiting a call back from them to sort if. 

Week went by, I chased them, another week etc. 
    Chased GG too, no response. Never did hear back from either of them. 

PhilM said:

Tbh even the ones that do still send out allsorts. I’ve found shops acceptable standards are way below what our standards are as consumers. 

Being a forum of enthusiasts I’m certain our standards are higher than many other guitarists mind you, but not unreasonably so. 
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GulliverGulliver Frets: 850
    jpfamps said:
    PhilM said:

I had the exact opposite problem when I was shopping for an acoustic - played a bunch in the store, found the one I liked and said 'I'll take this one' and the store employee said  "I'll go grab one from out the back..." and I insisted he should just go and get the case and stuff for the one I was holding, as that's the one I intended on leaving with come hell or high water.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • TINMAN82TINMAN82 Frets: 1846
    skunkwerx said:
    GG are sacks of shit. 

When I had the Ltd Snakebyte debacle, they sent me out this (brand new @ £1300 by the way): 

Thats how it was.. usually they have some foam or a sheath at least.. 

Nut was halfway inboard with a surface crack in the finish both sides. 

Fretboard had about 7 of these worm holes:

A random finish imperfection. 

And well, overall look at the tooling marks on the board: 

Some extra finish cracks: 

And a random half torn sticker with 13 written on it. Wtf. 

I complained to Esp themselves, who said they cant help as they are in the Usa.. er ok. 

They put me in touch with Sound services (the Uk’s Esp distributor) who were initially helpful.. well as far as saying they have another Snakebyte they can send to GG for me to then buy, but would liaise with GG about it first. They wouldnt let me buy it direct from them, but said they’d check it before sending to the store.

Arranged a return with Gg for this one. Didnt want it sat here for x amount of weeks whilst I waited for a replacement. Got the refund. Sound services said they were talking with GG and were just awaiting a call back from them to sort if. 

PhilM said:

Tbh even the ones that do still send out allsorts. I’ve found shops acceptable standards are way below what our standards are as consumers. 

Being a forum of enthusiasts I’m certain our standards are higher than many other guitarists mind you, but not unreasonably so. 
    That’s shocking, I’d have sent it back too. Even at £400 I wouldn’t be happy with holes in a fretboard! 

It’s not all GGs fault, that’s a very major QC issue from ESP. I’m pretty sure if GG sent out a £4K PRS it would be perfect....and GG would get credit for presenting such a nice guitar despite having nothing to do with it.
    edited April 2021
    skunkwerx said:
    GG are sacks of shit. 

Jeez, that's rough. A decent level of basic customer service is easy to achieve. I can't imagine a single good reason why someone from either organisation didn't respond to you.

I called Fender GBI again today, roughly 3 hours ago. I was told that someone was just typing out a response so I would get that shortly. I haven't yet   

GG have offered to unpack and inspect a third one for me, I might take them up on that. I'm dealing with someone different now who seems a bit more on the ball. 
  • SPECTRUM001SPECTRUM001 Frets: 1561
    PhilM said:
    skunkwerx said:
    GG are sacks of shit. 

Jeez, that's rough. A decent level of basic customer service is easy to achieve. I can't imagine a single good reason why someone from either organisation didn't respond to you.

I called Fender GBI again today, roughly 3 hours ago. I was told that someone was just typing out a response so I would get that shortly. I haven't yet   

GG have offered to unpack and inspect a third one for me, I might take them up on that. I'm dealing with someone different now who seems a bit more on the ball. 
    Third Time Lucky ?! 
    So, one week and many phone calls to Fender later, I have my response from them, which was essentially:

"Really sorry, but you'll need to continue to deal with GG"

I think I'll try one more, before giving up and finding another brand that cares
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom