Line of Duty

What's Hot

Comments

• munckeemunckee Frets: 12366
    Keiko said:
    Anyone notice the mis spelling 'definately' during the laptop scene? Watch out for that in future episodes. Whoever spells it that way must be 'H'!!!
    The first suggestion it was Ted was when he made the same spelling mistake. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3067
    I really enjoyed the first few series but I’m struggling with this current one.   Some of the plot lines are preposterous, to say the least... mass cops and robbers shootouts in broad daylight with automatic weapons and snipers?  Might as well be watching sci-fi. 

Some of the acting in the current series has been shocking, too. 
  • sinbaadisinbaadi Frets: 1302
    It's like a parody.  It feels like an English version of a typically American show or movie where everything is just exaggerated and it arrogantly charges head first through any plot holes or absurdity.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11900
    munckee said:
    Alright mate.  Yeah mate. 

That Steve arnot is the most wooden actor ever.  It's like he's literally reading his lines out as someone holds them up whilst he's standing on his little stool.
    He's got a broad scottish accent, I think it's keeping his london/south african dialect going that stops his flow.
     can someone from down south tell me what his English accent is meant to be?
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12365
    munckee said:

That Steve arnot is the most wooden actor ever.  It's like he's literally reading his lines out as someone holds them up whilst he's standing on his little stool.
    He's got a broad scottish accent, I think it's keeping his london/south african dialect going that stops his flow.
    It sounds like generic London/Home Counties. But it’s delivered as though he’s having a prostrate exam at the time. 
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11900
    boogieman said:
    munckee said:

It sounds like generic London/Home Counties. But it’s delivered as though he’s having a prostrate exam at the time. 
    there was one bit this week where I couldn't understand what he said, had to rewind, he just rattled out several sentences quickly without any implicit punctuation or intonation changes
    boogieman said:
    munckee said:

there was one bit this week where I couldn't understand what he said, had to rewind, he just rattled out several sentences quickly without any implicit punctuation or intonation changes
    I struggle with what he says sometimes too. I think he’s totally miscast anyway... we watched series one where he’s supposedly a hard arsed copper before he joins AC12. Hard man? He looks like a moody shortarse who wouldn’t frighten a six year old. 
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5145
    ^^^ Martin Compston is 5'8", which has made a few of the confrontational scenes unintentionally amusing when he's squaring off against actors well over 6', like the guy who played "Dot" Cottan, or Daniel Mays who played one of the AFOs in series 3.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• munckeemunckee Frets: 12366
    ^^^ Martin Compston is 5'8", which has made a few of the confrontational scenes unintentionally amusing when he's squaring off against actors well over 6', like the guy who played "Dot" Cottan, or Daniel Mays who played one of the AFOs in series 3.
    Have you seen him in "wee man" he looks like he can handle himself in that.
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30922
    So, this AC12....

Does it have EL84's? Celestion Blues?

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • StefBStefB Frets: 2355
    RobDavies said:

Some of the acting in the current series has been shocking, too. 
    Agreed.  The usually excellent Kelly Macdonald is dreadful in this, very poor casting.
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6264
    edited April 2021
    I like the show, but sadly this latest series is largely shite. Pretty predictable really as well. It feels rushed, and I read that they haven't been able to fully post produce it, due to rushing to get it out.

It also feels like the "cop language" is very forced. Every other sentence seems to have the words CHIS, boss, OCG in it. Gets a bit tiresome.

The plot is laboured too, AC12 are happily pursuing every bum steer without a question. Also, some of the references to earlier series mean you have to be a super fan, almost, to get them. I had to look up who Tommy Hunter was, no way I would remember that. Some of the plot is pretty ludicrous too.

And yeah, some of the acting is dire. 

I don't think it's a patch on any of the previous series, not by a long shot. Hopefully this will be the last, as it looks to have run out of steam, for me anyway.

Steve Arnott - what would be wrong with having him speak in his natural Scottish accent? 
    The nottingham accents get on my pip too, not wishing to offend any East Midlanders, but it grates on me. Same way it did when they were in This Is England (despite being set in Sheffield, all got Notts accents).

he's called Buckles, not Buckoos ;)
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8189
    The most popular drama on British TV for years. 
    Knew I could rely on the good old Fretboarders to pan every single aspect of it  =)
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Hattigol said:
    Knew I could rely on the good old Fretboarders to pan every single aspect of it  =)
    Hardly. A lot of people have said they’re watching and most are enjoying it. It definitely isn’t as good as previous series though. I think part of that is down to the universally crap acting in this series... even Ted has become like a charicature with his catch phrases. 
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    it was filmed partly before and partly in lockdown so I end up being distracted by a game of what was social distanced. So, there will have been some limitations on what could be done. 
    It does require you to have some basic knowledge of characters and history but so does all box set television these days. I’m sure they have an eye to the residuals on Netflix as much if not more than when it goes out on the BBC. 
    The three main characters largely running about now with Chloe Bishop doing all the police work. If she turns out to work for an OCG they’re buggered. 

Snap said:
    I like the show, but sadly this latest series is largely shite. Pretty predictable really as well. It feels rushed, and I read that they haven't been able to fully post produce it, due to rushing to get it out.

It also feels like the "cop language" is very forced. Every other sentence seems to have the words CHIS, boss, OCG in it. Gets a bit tiresome.

The plot is laboured too, AC12 are happily pursuing every bum steer without a question. Also, some of the references to earlier series mean you have to be a super fan, almost, to get them. I had to look up who Tommy Hunter was, no way I would remember that. Some of the plot is pretty ludicrous too.

And yeah, some of the acting is dire. 

I don't think it's a patch on any of the previous series, not by a long shot. Hopefully this will be the last, as it looks to have run out of steam, for me anyway.

Steve Arnott - what would be wrong with having him speak in his natural Scottish accent? 
    The nottingham accents get on my pip too, not wishing to offend any East Midlanders, but it grates on me. Same way it did when they were in This Is England (despite being set in Sheffield, all got Notts accents).

he's called Buckles, not Buckoos ;)
    It’s set sort of in the West Midlands rather than the East? There have been obvious Birmingham location shoots in previous series ( I think it’s mostly filmed in Northern Ireland now) and the East Midlands AC was a different branch. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • boogieman said:
    Hattigol said:
    Hardly. A lot of people have said they’re watching and most are enjoying it. It definitely isn’t as good as previous series though. I think part of that is down to the universally crap acting in this series... even Ted has become like a charicature with his catch phrases. 
    Yeah, as much as I'm loving the show I can't help but think the writers are pandering to those playing "Catchphrase Bingo" at home. It's like they're on commission for the number of times they can cram in the words "mate", "bent", "mother of God", "letter of the law" and "now we're sucking diesel" per episode.

Anyone else seen caught this little detail from Ep. 5?

Line of Duty series 6: Sinister detail hidden in Jo Davidson’s reveal | Metro News

(I have to confess, I went straight to Google to look for the meaning of 'Homozygosity' after the episode!)
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22846
    edited April 2021
    boogieman said:
    Hattigol said:
    Knew I could rely on the good old Fretboarders to pan every single aspect of it 
    I don't want to join the tide of criticism, I love the show although I've already said the last couple of series have been a bit weaker.

Hastings, Arnott and Fleming have always been a bit crap and boring - a caricature, wooden and tediously infallible respectively.  But the heavy lifting, acting-wise, has always been done by the main "guest stars" in each series - Lennie James, Keeley Hawes, Thandie Newton, Daniel Mays, Stephen Graham (dodgy Irish accent apart) to name a few.  Kelly Macdonald's character this series is weak.  And as I said earlier, I do think it misses the humour of Dot Cottan.  But it's still great!
  • KeikoKeiko Frets: 993
    That tunnel with all the graffiti they keep meeting up at. It has the best lighting for a tunnel I have ever seen.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • ChuffolaChuffola Frets: 2026
    Love it, but agree with the criticisms levelled in this thread. It's popcorn TV on a Sunday night and, being from Belfast, I spend a lot of the show checking out the locations where they've filmed which is fun. 

Adrian Dunbar is the best thing about it, for me - but totally agree that they are now cramming in his "catch-phrases" far too much. 

Still, I'll be sad when it ends - but then hopefully Series 4 of Ozark will be not too far away. 
  • BlaendulaisBlaendulais Frets: 3319
    The last decent thing Mercurio did was Cardiac Arrest.  Downhill since then
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom