Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Weird things you never knew

What's Hot

Comments

• OffsetOffset Frets: 11980
    Jfingers said:
    Richard Thompson ( solo artiste, Fairport Convention ,etc) and Hugh Cornwall ( solo artiste, The Stranglers,etc) went to school together for a while and in the same band briefly ( Emil and the Detectives, Hugh played bass). 

Again, probably not weird but interesting that a figurehead of punk and a figurehead of folk rock were very much contemporaries. 

Hugh looks very like the young Charles Manson in the photo in the link. Great fact though, and interesting.
    One of them (can't remember which) moved away and they totally lost touch until many decades later (post Stranglers, post Fairport etc) when Hugh went to see Richard perform in Italy.  They met backstage and I believe they now keep in regular touch.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JfingersJfingers Frets: 382

Ooh lynsey de Paul. Quite...

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16300

Mangosuthu Buthelezi was a Zulu tribal leader who was one of the major figures fighting apartheid and was part of the government of national unity under Nelson Mandela. He had also played his own great grandfather in the film Zulu.    
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fobfob Frets: 1431
    Farmers produce more crops than you might think:

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18967
    ^  I never knew that you could 'grow concrete'  :lol: 

• GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4154
    edited October 2021
    ronnyb said:
    I didn't know that the black uniforms worn by the SS during WW2 were made by Hugo Boss. Boss became a member of the Nazi party in 1931 and after joining, the company sales increased tenfold. He was awarded the contract for supplying uniforms for the German military such as the Waffen SS and the Hitler youth. Party member being awarded lucrative contracts sounds a bit familiar to me.  
    This isn't quite correct. Hugo Boss did not design any of the Nazi uniforms. But the myth persists.

The all-black SS uniform was designed by SS members Karl Diebitsch (artist) and Walter Heck (graphic designer).

The Hugo Boss company did receive government contracts to manufacture uniforms, but it was one of many clothing companies doing the same thing. 

• USA 10th President John Tyler, born 1790, has a living grandson
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • martmart Frets: 5205
    USA 10th President John Tyler, born 1790, has a living grandson
    What? Still? Even 9 posts later? :)
    9reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mart said:
    USA 10th President John Tyler, born 1790, has a living grandson
    What? Still? Even 9 posts later? :)
    I'll update it tomorrow whether he's live or dead
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BlueingreenBlueingreen Frets: 2612
    edited November 2021
    There was apparently no such thing as the colour blue in ancient civilisations - Romans and Greeks etc considered it basically a shade of green or "wine red" as quoted from Homers Odyssey when he was describing the colour of the sea.

The Egyptians were the first to have a word for blue, as they were the only civilisation that could produce the colour in dyes or paint.

It's not known whether people could even see the colour blue - there was an experiment with the Himba tribe in Namibia, who have no word for blue, where they showed them loads of green squares and one obviously blue square, and they could not tell which one was blue. 

The comedian Dave Gorman once had an idea for a novel called Hugh's Hew, whereby Hugh discovered a new colour but was unable to describe it to people as they had no concept of the colour this it's impossible to describe it (if you've seen/read his Googlewhack adventure you'll have heard him on about this). Perhaps this is what happened with blue?

There is a more general point, which is that our perception of colour is to some extent determined by language. There are no discrete points on the colour spectrum, and different languages divide it up in different ways.  We learn to see more marked differences between two colours if they are given different names in our own language, but they may just be different shades of the same colour to speakers in other languages.  Some languages and cultures identify fewer colours than ours but some identify more, so that their speakers arguably see more colours.

The Himbas in your example are not failing to identify an objectively existing colour called "blue";  our awareness of a separate colour called "blue" is itself a linguistic convention, one that isn't reflected in their language.

“To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13570
    edited November 2021
    the earth is actually flat.................................................

I'll get me coat
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8495

There is a more general point, which is that our perception of colour is to some extent determined by language. There are no discrete points on the colour spectrum, and different languages divide it up in different ways.  We learn to see more marked differences between two colours if they are given different names in our own language, but they may just be different shades of the same colour to speakers in other languages.  Some languages and cultures identify fewer colours than ours but some identify more, so that their speakers arguably see more colours.

The Himbas in your example are not failing to identify an objectively existing colour called "blue";  our awareness of a separate colour called "blue" is itself a linguistic convention, one that isn't reflected in their language.

Most starkly illustrated by the colour "brown" - it doesn't appear on the colour spectrum at all, it's just dark orange and therefore context dependent - an Orange in a poorly lit room might emit exactly the same wavelengths as a chocolate orange in a brightly lit room, but you'd perceive one as orange and the other one as brown.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5407
    I'd perceive a chocolate orange as something that used to be lovely but now tastes of greasy shite.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12416
    Snags said:
    I'd perceive a chocolate orange as something that used to be lovely but now tastes of greasy shite.
    But did the confectionary change or the man grasshopper?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13570
    Snags said:
    as are Thorntons,   greasy fat laden kack 
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2795
    Depends if we are talking about light colours or paint colours 

brown comes from mixing the 3 primary paint colours red yellow and blue

i see lots of browns around me - birds, trees, leaves, soil, dirt - so must admit I’m surprised by brown not being “identified”

and then all the debate / history /myth about the colour and fruit orange 

All very interesting though 

• sev112 said:
    Depends if we are talking about light colours or paint colours 

brown comes from mixing the 3 primary paint colours red yellow and blue

i see lots of browns around me - birds, trees, leaves, soil, dirt - so must admit I’m surprised by brown not being “identified”

and then all the debate / history /myth about the colour and fruit orange 

All very interesting though 

It's all dark orange. Likewise pink is just light red. The only reason we don't have similar feelings about very dark or ver light blue or green is because we don't have standalone words for them - we have "navy blue or "sky blue", so they're defined in our heads as shades of another colour. 

Technology Connections has a good vid if you're a nerd like me.

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9735
    Adolf Hitler’s half-nephew, Billy, was born in Liverpool and served with the US navy during WWII.

(This came up in a pub quiz the other night in a true or false round - it really is true.)
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HAL9000 said:
    Adolf Hitler’s half-nephew, Billy, was born in Liverpool and served with the US navy during WWII.

(This came up in a pub quiz the other night in a true or false round - it really is true.)
    There is some evidence that Hitler had decided on the Shropshire town of Bridgnorth as the location for Nazi headquarters in the U.K. ( had they successfully invaded, obviously). I was watching an episode of Escape to the Country the other day whilst waiting for my car to be fixed and Bridgnorth was suggested to the couple as a lovely place to live yet the Nazi connection was never mentioned. Bloody BBC bias. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • USA 10th President John Tyler, born 1790, has a living grandson
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom