Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Weird things you never knew

What's Hot

Comments

• rogdrogd Frets: 1514
    Still??
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6159
    Not weird, but I today I discovered* that Les Paul was the Godfather of Steve Miller no less. He of the Steve Miller Band fame.

* It was in the liner notes of 'Ultimate Hits' by the Steve Miller Band, which incidently is a crackin' selection of his songs.
    Jungle Love has a wicked guitar riff...

(pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13570
    dont forget Steve's brother Ed
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • equalsql said:
    Not weird, but I today I discovered* that Les Paul was the Godfather of Steve Miller no less. He of the Steve Miller Band fame.

* It was in the liner notes of 'Ultimate Hits' by the Steve Miller Band, which incidently is a crackin' selection of his songs.

Steve's mother was a jazz singer which was the connection to Paul and Mary Ford. Steve also went to school with Boz Scaggs.    
    Jungle Love I knew From Everybody Loves Raymond where it was used a few times, I only discovered it was Miller afterwards.

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16146
    Did you know that the hybrid offspring of a Goat and a Sheep is called a GEEP
    but only if the Sire is the Goat and the female is the Sheep
    if the daddy is the Sheep it's called a SHOAT

Oh dear , I feel like Steve Wright now !
  • 77ric77ric Frets: 539
    edited November 2021
    Dominic said:
    Did you know that the hybrid offspring of a Goat and a Sheep is called a GEEP
    but only if the Sire is the Goat and the female is the Sheep
    if the daddy is the Sheep it's called a SHOAT

Oh dear , I feel like Steve Wright now !
    That's just like the hybrid offspring of Lions and Tigers being Ligers or Tigons. Interestingly Ligers grow much larger than Tigons (if they survive birth) as Female Lions secrete a growth restriction hormone during pregnancy that stops the cub from growing to large to be born, but female Tigers don't. 

• DominicDominic Frets: 16146
    ^ Yes they've got them at Paradise Park ,a zoo very near my home ........they are huge
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4927
    I read today that there is only one album that features the playing of both Jimi Hendrix and Eric Clapton, and that is Steven Stills' first solo album.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Devil#20Devil#20 Frets: 1986
    There are 4 types of knowledge. 
    1) Things that you know.
    2) Things that you know but you don't know that you know. 
    3) Things that you don't know and you know that you don't know.
    4) Things that you don't know and you don't know that you don't know. 

If you ignore or don't care about 3) that shows lack of intelligence. 

Ian

Lowering my expectations has succeeded beyond my wildest dreams.

• Devil#20Devil#20 Frets: 1986
    Danny1969 said:

If you get 2 pieces of metal that have been made with completely flat surfaces they will stick together like magnets, even though aren't magnetic at all. Precise metal blocks used to calibrate micrometers will do this for example. 

There are four fundamental forces of nature: gravity, electgromagnetism, and the strong and weak nuclear forces. This phenomena of the plates apparently sticking together is the action of the 'weak nuclear force' that allows atoms to bond together or to form more complex atoms. So the atoms in each plate are binding through this force. People think it's because there is no air between the plates and it the effect of the external air pressure. It's not. It's the 'weak nuclear force' in action. The 'strong nuclear force' is what binds positive and negative quarks together and subsequently the positively charged protons and neutrons in the nucleus of the atom. 

Ian

Lowering my expectations has succeeded beyond my wildest dreams.

• scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11341
    Devil#20 said:
    1) Things that you know.

What about, you know, the things that you know, you know? 
  • PhilW1PhilW1 Frets: 943
    Devil#20 said:
    Danny1969 said:

If you get 2 pieces of metal that have been made with completely flat surfaces they will stick together like magnets, even though aren't magnetic at all. Precise metal blocks used to calibrate micrometers will do this for example. 

There are four fundamental forces of nature: gravity, electgromagnetism, and the strong and weak nuclear forces. This phenomena of the plates apparently sticking together is the action of the 'weak nuclear force' that allows atoms to bond together or to form more complex atoms. So the atoms in each plate are binding through this force. People think it's because there is no air between the plates and it the effect of the external air pressure. It's not. It's the 'weak nuclear force' in action. The 'strong nuclear force' is what binds positive and negative quarks together and subsequently the positively charged protons and neutrons in the nucleus of the atom. 
    I do this most weeks at work using precision slip gauges, we 'wring' different sizes together to make other sizes to measure/calibrate various things. I've always known it to be called 'Sticktion'- combining sticky and friction- if you get really good clean mirror surfaces it can be really hard to prise them apart.
  • TanninTannin Frets: 5533
    Devil#20 said:
    1) Things that you know.

Actually, #3 is the key to learning useful things and getting stuff done. There are vast amounts of knowledge which are, to any given individual, absolutely bloody useless.

Example: just for fun, we do a 10 question quiz each night after dinner. A few of the questions are like this one: "Who plays Lieutenant Horatio Caine in the TV series "CSI: Miami"? (a) David Hasselhoff, (b) David Carradine, (c) David Jason, (d) David Caruso. The correct answer, of course, is "Who farnarking cares?

Recognising #3 knowledge items in your life and being firm and ruthless about not throwing away a single precious moment or wasting even one little brain cell on garbage is how you actually get important stuff done. 

What counts as "important"? Anything you want. But you can't - no human ever born can - learn all about everything, so you have to be selective. Figure out what you like, and do that. Even more important, figure out what you don't like, or like only a little bit, and don't do it! Example: I don't watch TV. Haven't watched it in more than 20 years. Result: I have vastly more time to read, play guitar, take photographs of wildlife, cook, eat, sit on the porch and watch the world go by, visit friends, travel, anything I want to do. And I am much better informed about many things because TV is one of the least time-effective communication and learning media ever invented: you can learn most things five or ten times faster other in ways, such as from a book. Oh and as you can see, sometimes I even get enough spare time to post nonsense on the Internet. :)

But of course, that isn't "ignoring" or a matter of "not caring about" #3, it is managing it effectively. In other words, I agree with you.
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2794
    Where in the wild world would a lion and tiger meet ?

wouldn’t the natural food chain make one of them the predator over th other ?
  • martmart Frets: 5205
    The 10th president of the USA, John Tyler, was born in 1790, but today nobody knows if his grandson is still alive or not, because @HerbieTheRadDorklift hasn't checked yet.
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • martmart Frets: 5205
    sev112 said:
    Where in the wild world would a lion and tiger meet ?...
    I feel like this is the start of an advert for a dating app.
    sev112 said:
    Yep, definitely sounds like a dating app.
  • 77ric77ric Frets: 539
    edited November 2021
    sev112 said:

Erm the pub/club/gig/supermarket/street/gym, where do you meet your prospective sexual partners/prey? 
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2794
    77ric said:
    sev112 said:

Erm the pub/club/gig/supermarket/street/gym, where do you meet your prospective sexual partners/victims? 
    One year we go to India, the next to Kenta
  • equalsql said:

Steve's mother was a jazz singer which was the connection to Paul and Mary Ford. Steve also went to school with Boz Scaggs.    
    Jungle Love I knew From Everybody Loves Raymond where it was used a few times, I only discovered it was Miller afterwards.

Just reminded by another Discussion that the odd thing about Jungle Love is that Steve Miller doesn't play any guitar on it ( it's Greg Douglass from Hot Tuna). 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • fobfob Frets: 1431
    Devil#20 said:
    1) Things that you know.

So if you don't know how to speak Swahili and don't particularly care then you lack intelligence?