Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Weird things you never knew

What's Hot

Comments

• KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18970
    Fungi are one of the largest & oldest living organisms in existence.
    https://www.intelligentliving.co/amp/humongous-fungus/

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3825
    Interesting, ta.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DdiggerDdigger Frets: 2377
    Blimey that original theme was awful wasn't it, I for one am glad they changed it. 
    Although written by Ronnie Hazelhurst who was one of the UK's most successful theme  tune writers - Yes Minster, Are You Being Served,etc,etc.
    For a brief glimpse of Ronnie he's the conductor here:

Ooh lyndsie de Paul and  what’s his name , Mike Moran ?
    During an argument, Sharon Osbourne put Linsey de Paul's open suitcase on the floor and pissed in it.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11345
    Ddigger said:
    Blimey that original theme was awful wasn't it, I for one am glad they changed it. 
    Although written by Ronnie Hazelhurst who was one of the UK's most successful theme  tune writers - Yes Minster, Are You Being Served,etc,etc.
    For a brief glimpse of Ronnie he's the conductor here:

Ooh lyndsie de Paul and  what’s his name , Mike Moran ?
    During an argument, Sharon Osbourne put Linsey de Paul's open suitcase on the floor and pissed in it.

Hence the song they are playing - "Rock Bottom".
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12419
    Richard Thompson ( solo artiste, Fairport Convention ,etc) and Hugh Cornwall ( solo artiste, The Stranglers,etc) went to school together for a while and in the same band briefly ( Emil and the Detectives, Hugh played bass). 

Again, probably not weird but interesting that a figurehead of punk and a figurehead of folk rock were very much contemporaries. 

On a similar note, but quite possibly on a lesser scale, Slim from the Hamsters was once in a band with Ex Guitarist editor Neville Martin. 
  • The leap year is omitted three times every four hundred years. So 2000 was a leap year but 2100, 2200 and 2300 won’t be although 2400 will again. 

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ronnybronnyb Frets: 1747
    I didn't know that the black uniforms worn by the SS during WW2 were made by Hugo Boss. Boss became a member of the Nazi party in 1931 and after joining, the company sales increased tenfold. He was awarded the contract for supplying uniforms for the German military such as the Waffen SS and the Hitler youth. Party member being awarded lucrative contracts sounds a bit familiar to me.  
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • AdeyAdey Frets: 2316
    Can dogs look up? (Shaun of the Dead reference)
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 11985
    Adey said:
    Yep.  My lab follows his ball/frisbee through the ether every time I chuck it.  I guess coming from Pegg, it should be taken with a pinch of salt.  Never forgave him for what he did to Scotty.
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9099
    In 2018, A meteor exploded over earth with a force bigger than 10 atomic bombs and we all missed it!.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-47607696
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5835
    In 1937 in Detroit, a baby fell from a 4th floor window and landed on top of a road sweeper named Joseph Figlock. Both were injured but survived. A year later another baby fell from a 4th floor window and landed on top of him.

Joseph Figlock must have been a right babe magnet!
    2reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18970
    Offset said:
    Adey said:
    Yep.  My lab follows his ball/frisbee through the ether every time I chuck it.  I guess coming from Pegg, it should be taken with a pinch of salt.  Never forgave him for what he did to Scotty.
    Yep, your eyes would roll skywards & you'd definitely know if you'd been Pegged
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3825
    I always thought the dogs not looking up thing was a bit rubbish. They generally look up when they howl do they not? That's how I imagine wolves anyway.
  • ZoolooterZoolooter Frets: 887
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7344
    edited October 2021
    you turn the volume DOWN on a Tweed Deluxe to get MORE gain! (as opposed to Compression...)
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
  • proggy said:
    In 1937 in Detroit, a baby fell from a 4th floor window and landed on top of a road sweeper named Joseph Figlock. Both were injured but survived. A year later another baby fell from a 4th floor window and landed on top of him.

Joseph Figlock must have been a right babe magnet!
    As John Mclane said "how can the same shit happen to the same guy twice?!"
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12418
    Not sure if this is already mentioned but blew my mind.  The 10th persident of the US was born in 1790, he still has grandsons alive today:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/how-two-of-president-john-tylers-grandsons-are-still-alive/ ;

Born in 1790 had a child in his fifties who had a child in their 70s in 1928.
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MellishMellish Frets: 947
    Here's something to test your thinking: if Mr & Mrs Bigger have a baby, which of the Bigger's is the biggest? All you need to work it out is here :) 
  • JfingersJfingers Frets: 382
    Richard Thompson ( solo artiste, Fairport Convention ,etc) and Hugh Cornwall ( solo artiste, The Stranglers,etc) went to school together for a while and in the same band briefly ( Emil and the Detectives, Hugh played bass). 

Again, probably not weird but interesting that a figurehead of punk and a figurehead of folk rock were very much contemporaries. 

Hugh looks very like the young Charles Manson in the photo in the link. Great fact though, and interesting.