Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Weird things you never knew

What's Hot

Comments

• bacchanalianbacchanalian Frets: 897
    Elizabeth Montgomery (Samantha from the TV series Bewitched) was Bill Asher's Mum.

Just from reading wikipedia his siblings appeared as Samantha's pregnancies on the show although it looks like Bill didn't. Interesting that Bill came from such a Hollywood background ( dad was the director of Bewitched as well as I Love Lucy and a close friend of Sinatra) and yet didn't take that direction at all. 
    Yes that is the bit that surprised me.
    It was watching Wandavision that brought it to mind though.
    I don't think Asher has used the family connections other than very occasional posts on Instagram
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17136
    "Out of the door" or "Out the door."?

• TanninTannin Frets: 5451
    "I walked out the door." 

"I took the broken glass panel out of the door to put a new one in."

You will hardly ever strike a situation which requires the "out of" - I had to think up something contrived just for the same of providing an example.

Adding a spurious "of" to otherwise decent sentences is a pointless and ugly Americanism.
  • martmart Frets: 5205
    Even more ridiculous: once I bought a coffee in a Costa and the guy said to me “That’ll be three point five, please”.
    I'd have given him three pounds and five pence, on the assumption that maybe he'd said "three pounds five". 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11304
    Tannin said:
    "I walked out the door." 

You will hardly ever strike a situation which requires the "out of" - I had to think up something contrived just for the same of providing an example.

Adding a spurious "of" to otherwise decent sentences is a pointless and ugly Americanism.
    England scored two out of three penalties last night. Ugly? Pointless? Possibly, but not in the way you mean. 
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7287
    Tannin said:
    "I walked out the door." 

ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22881
    "Out of the door" or "Out the door."?

A phrase I've often noticed reading Dickens, omitting the "the" rather than the "of" - he frequently writes "out of window", as in "Charles looked out of window".  I can't imagine anyone saying or writing that now.  
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16295
    First digitally recorded single in the UK charts was Mirror in the Bathroom by The Beat. 
    Although you couldn't buy it in a digital format then so it had analogue mastering. 
    Off the first digitally recorded pop album made in the UK their Just Can't Stop It ( although some versions of the album contain earlier tracks recorded on analogue).

Recorded at Bronze studios, the digital recording didn't work most of the time so The Beat got the sessions very cheap but recording was very slow. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 2734
    ICBM said:
    strtdv said:

Per person per year, yes. Per interaction between the two, no.

Statistics can be made to say almost anything.
    Space travel is safer than car travel in terms of fatalities per passenger mile, but it's massively more dangerous when you measure it in terms of fatalities per journey.
    And - contrary to popular myth/perpetrated by the airline industry - while air travel is safer than car travel per passenger mile, it's still more dangerous per passenger journey. We make *vastly* more trips by car than by plane, and almost by definition the journeys by plane are longer, so the statistics become hugely skewed. Which is not to say planes are dangerous.

Buses are actually the safest by either measure, if I remember rightly...

The Spaceshuttle came out quite well on fatalities per mile travelled......

I think train may be the safest in the UK, and bus safest in the US.
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9717
    HAL9000 said:
    Simonh said:

I get really annoyed when presenters say things like "that's all from Phil and me" NO NO NO it should be "That's all from Phil and I" and I know it is petty and pathetic but it does wind me up.
    I’ve always understood that you need to imagine that ‘Phil’ isn’t there
    Yes that is how most of us watch This Morning to be honest
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22881
    First digitally recorded single in the UK charts was Mirror in the Bathroom by The Beat. 
    Although you couldn't buy it in a digital format then so it had analogue mastering. 
    Off the first digitally recorded pop album made in the UK their Just Can't Stop It ( although some versions of the album contain earlier tracks recorded on analogue).

Recorded at Bronze studios, the digital recording didn't work most of the time so The Beat got the sessions very cheap but recording was very slow. 
    Was it like really low-resolution, so when you turn it up loud it sounds pixelated?

This reminds me, I think the first ever digitally recorded album was Bop 'Til You Drop by Ry Cooder?  I remember reading a review of it in Melody Maker and being fascinated, although I had no idea what analog(ue) or digital meant.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SimonhSimonh Frets: 1360
    Tannin said:
    "I walked out the door." 

I made a swan out of a single sheet of paper using origami

I made a swan out a single sheet of paper using origami

I made a swan out of paper using origami

I made a swan out paper using origami
    Philly_Q said:

Was it like really low-resolution, so when you turn it up loud it sounds pixelated?

This reminds me, I think the first ever digitally recorded album was Bop 'Til You Drop by Ry Cooder?  I remember reading a review of it in Melody Maker and being fascinated, although I had no idea what analog(ue) or digital meant.
    I love that 2 Tone era but most of it was recorded/ produced very badly but The Beat stuff still sounds detailed so I think it worked okay. From Ranking Roger's description the digital system would fail after about two hours and it would take the rest of the day to fix it. 
    Yes Bop Til You Drop was a year earlier, there were jazz and classical and experimental digital recordings I think beforehand but that was the first pop/ commercial digital album. Again unless you were actually in the studio you wouldn't have been able to hear it reproduced digitally. And, I guess, still an era of using mics, very little if anything would have gone straight to track. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72364
    jpfamps said:

The Spaceshuttle came out quite well on fatalities per mile travelled......
    Exactly, but horrendously dangerous - I think the most dangerous recorded form of transport - by fatalities per journey. The distance it travelled while just orbiting around the Earth is irrelevant to the risk to the occupants. Hence why it's a bit of a false statistic to say that aircraft are the safest form of transport, and especially the much-repeated fallacy that you're more likely to die in a car crash on the way to the airport than in the plane.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• TanninTannin Frets: 5451
    edited July 2021
    scrumhalf said:
    Tannin said:

Adding a SPURIOUS "of" to otherwise decent sentences is a pointless and ugly Americanism.
    England scored two out of three penalties last night. Ugly? Pointless? Possibly, but not in the way you mean. 
    Important word emphasised for your reading convenience.
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18778
    Tannin said:
    scrumhalf said:
    Tannin said:

Adding a SPURIOUS "of" to otherwise decent sentences is a pointless and ugly Americanism.
    Important word emphasised for your reading convenience.

The pointless and ugly Americanism is actually the absence of the "of".
    From your stated location, as an obviously non native English speaker, may I suggest that you... Suck it up you fuckin bogan renegade   ;) 

PS I'm taking the piss, chill :+1: 
  • vizviz Frets: 10698
    fob said:
    Spelled in English, every odd number has an 'e' in it.
    If asked to reel off 100 words without an ‘a’, just count to 100. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    0reaction image LOL 6reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    Gary Numan is older than Gary Oldman. 

13reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17136
    Tannin said:
    "I walked out the door." 

I don't think we can blame the Muricans for adding the 'of', that's English.

'Chilli jumped out the window' doesn't read right to me, it sounds slovenly. It needs the 'of' in there. But I have no idea why, only that it sounds better to my ears.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72364

The pointless and ugly Americanism is actually the absence of the "of".
    It’s both - they add ‘of’ to ‘off’ as well, as in ‘off of’.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein