Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Weird things you never knew

What's Hot

Comments

• Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24428
    Stuffing your underpants with nettles then doing squats causes a painful rash.
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter
    I'm personally responsible for all global warming
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18942
    blobb said:
    Ddigger said:
    ^^video, or it never happened! 
    It's called vocal overtoning. I can do it, just, a friend of mine teaches you how to do it, this lady is the reference:

Also see Mongolian throat singing  
    Marvellous stuff.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18942
    poopot said:
    A duel between three people is called a truel.
    I find a truck much more fun  ;)
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3319
    That Ghandi's wife was called Goosey Goosey and Mark Twain's was called Choo Choo
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5835
    The Bugatti Veyron engine has 16 drain plugs and an oil change takes 27 hours to complete.
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SeshSesh Frets: 1850
    You were once the youngest person in the world. 
    Can't sing, can't dance, can handle a guitar a little.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • vizviz Frets: 10719
    blobb said:
    Ddigger said:
    ^^video, or it never happened! 
    It's called vocal overtoning. I can do it, just, a friend of mine teaches you how to do it, this lady is the reference:

There’s an amazing chap on youtube who has a different technique and is fucking awesome, but this is my shite version:

https://youtu.be/fHwOUcptwOo

this is him:

https://youtu.be/0-ljtP6WJrI
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2427
    There was apparently no such thing as the colour blue in ancient civilisations - Romans and Greeks etc considered it basically a shade of green or "wine red" as quoted from Homers Odyssey when he was describing the colour of the sea.

The Egyptians were the first to have a word for blue, as they were the only civilisation that could produce the colour in dyes or paint.

Are you sure? I've just been reading a book about Roman Britain, and it says that the Gauls and Britons were commonly known to Romans as the 'blue people' because of their ancient habit of dying clothes sky-blue with woad -- a habit that had already died out before the Romans even invaded Britain.

Also, the ancient Egyptian civilisation preceded both the Greek and Roman civilisations, and there was a lot of to-ing and fro-ing between them, so if blue articles existed in Egypt they would surely have been traded with Athens and Rome.
  • JohnS37JohnS37 Frets: 349
    Rhythm is the longest English word to lack vowels.
    And there is a lot of nonsense in this thread about grammar.
  • KalimnaKalimna Frets: 1543
    Stuckfast said:
    There was apparently no such thing as the colour blue in ancient civilisations - Romans and Greeks etc considered it basically a shade of green or "wine red" as quoted from Homers Odyssey when he was describing the colour of the sea.

The Egyptians were the first to have a word for blue, as they were the only civilisation that could produce the colour in dyes or paint.

Are you sure? I've just been reading a book about Roman Britain, and it says that the Gauls and Britons were commonly known to Romans as the 'blue people' because of their ancient habit of dying clothes sky-blue with woad -- a habit that had already died out before the Romans even invaded Britain.

Also, the ancient Egyptian civilisation preceded both the Greek and Roman civilisations, and there was a lot of to-ing and fro-ing between them, so if blue articles existed in Egypt they would surely have been traded with Athens and Rome.
    I think perhaps that there was no name for the colour blue, even though it obviously existed as a coloyr. In much the same way that the '7' colours of the rainbow are entirely arbitrary.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16299
    JohnS37 said:

Yes and no though? Y functions as a vowel or consonant depending on how it’s used.*
    Crwth, phpht and grrr have no conventional vowels. But Crwth is a Welsh word and the W functions as a vowel. They all kinda have vowels because they all have vowel sounds when you say them. 
    So rhythms is the longest word without a traditional vowel letter. 

* the definition of vowel and consonant somewhat beyond me but it’s to do with sounds rather than a list of letters. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8190
    JohnS37 said:

Yes and no though? Y functions as a vowel or consonant depending on how it’s used.*
    Crwth, phpht and grrr have no conventional vowels. But Crwth is a Welsh word and the W functions as a vowel. They all kinda have vowels because they all have vowel sounds when you say them. 
    So rhythms is the longest word without a traditional vowel letter. 

* the definition of vowel and consonant somewhat beyond me but it’s to do with sounds rather than a list of letters. 
    Pedant has just two vowels. 
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    7reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • blobbblobb Frets: 3002
    @Viz good effort. There is no way I'm sharing my attempt at overtoning! I do however recommend having a go. The easy (er, easier) bit is getting the fundamental. If you can do this it's brilliant for stress relief. I used to do it on long motorway journeys to stay alert. Just growl the vowels then move on to Henry, or more precise Henry as if you were saying it with a comedy French accent ('en-ri).

Another useless thing the good fret folk may not know.....seeing as his name has been mentioned....'Mark Twain' is a shout out from the guy that sits on the bow of a Mississippi riverboat if the water depth becomes too shallow for the boat to pass safely.

2 Fathoms or 12 feet.

Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137
    I've just lost 5 minutes of my life reading this tosh.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4991
    I've just lost 5 minutes of my life reading this tosh.
    It would have passed anyway.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    The first series of Only Fools and Horses had a different theme tune ( although by the time of DVD releases it was changed to the more familiar one). 

The more familiar version was written and sung by the series' screenwriter John Sullivan but he had written it for Chas and Dave to sing who turned it down. 
    John Sullivan also wrote the earlier Citizen Smith which included an episode called Only Fools and Horses.  
    0reaction image LOL 6reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Blimey that original theme was awful wasn't it, I for one am glad they changed it. 
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    Blimey that original theme was awful wasn't it, I for one am glad they changed it. 
    Although written by Ronnie Hazelhurst who was one of the UK's most successful theme  tune writers - Yes Minster, Are You Being Served,etc,etc.
    For a brief glimpse of Ronnie he's the conductor here:

• poopotpoopot Frets: 9099
    Sly Stallone still has the turtles from Rocky… they are 46 years old now!

0reaction image LOL 7reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KalimnaKalimna Frets: 1543
    As a crossover to the fungi thread, the fungi kingdom is more closely related to animals than plants...