What films have you watched recently?

What's Hot

Comments

• IvanMCIvanMC Frets: 91
    DiscoStu said:
    David Brent - Life On The Road.
    Big fan of The Office but this was uncomfortable pish.
    The occasional laugh so I'll give it 3/10
    I'm a huge fan of The Office myself. I've refused to take in the American version actually. Yeah, Life on the Road wasn't world class, but it was fine! Wouldn't give it a 3, but a 6... R. Gervais is amazing and he really made me feel embarrassed at times, through his acting... he depicts a true loser, in a flawless way. There was some acid humour at times, which reminded me of Family Guy. Aye, it's not The Office, but it's a good one in my opinion.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2898
    I might have already said but John Wick 2 is awesome. Even better than the first one.
  • hotpothotpot Frets: 846
    I finally got around to watching Interstella last night,  my hearing isn't the best and I struggled with trying to hear the dialogue pretty much for most of the film, I hadn't a clue what was being said half the time.
  • DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 7168
    My local cinema is brilliant , it's £2.50 per ticket so I go and watch films that I probably wouldn't if I still lived in London where it's £12.

Dragged the wife to see Logan last night which fell into that category and it was really good.  It didn't feel like an X men movie, it reminded me of a darker version of terminator 2 - either way a solid 8 out of 10
  • RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3067
    Saw Logan tonight with my eldest lad.  

It was alright, but about 40 mins too long.   The Reece's Peanut Butter Cups I had were very nice, too. 
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4701

Sing - Kids animation about a singing competition. Liked it, good characters, good story and good entertainment. It's telling, but I had more empathy for the characters than anybody I have seen on X Factor, pretty damming teally that a kids animation shows more human emotion than an actual singing competition. Perhaps Simon Cowell should watch it.

• goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6153
    Moonlight - Good, worthy, really well acted, but somehow not good enough to recommend. Quite liked the way it's broken up into arbitrary time jumps, with nothing explained. But how it won best film Oscar...? 7/10
  • TheBlueWolfTheBlueWolf Frets: 1536
    Ouija and Ouija - Origin Of Evil.

Ouija seems to have taken a leaf out of Insidious & Paranormal Activity's book in setting up a storyline for a franchise. That's where Ouija fell down IMHO. It ended up removing any story and plodded along to it's inevitable ending. 3/10

Origin Of Evil was slightly better but only just. It felt like it was the first of the two though. 5/10.

Twisted Imaginings - A Horror And Gore Themed Blog http://bit.ly/2DF1NYi

• Went to Logan and loved it. Brain off but a lot better than the usual super hero stuff (which I do like)..,
    Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22874
    The Remaining.  Something I've never seen before... a Christian horror movie.  About the day of judgement.  But all the true believers die, some of them fairly horribly, which seemed like a bit of an odd message to me....
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16295
    Logan

Excellent, I was really engrossed. I can see that if you like the 120 minutes of cgi fighting that many of the super hero films are you might not like this but for me it worked. It's a 15 and I don't think I'd be sneaking younger kids in, for  various reasons I think that's probably the right certificate

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    A couple we've caught on Prime this week:

David Brent - Life on the Road

I never watched much of The Office, but know it from clips etc, and we were after something light hearten to watch last night.

I've worked in sales offices so there were plenty of laughs there, and the little details like the car park line up of all the versions of grey that Vauxhall make Insignia's in was brilliant.

Of course I've also played in bands and know disillusion part time rock stars!

Plenty of clever comedy songs of course, which was the point of the whole thing I guess.

Still it did drag a bit, 6/10

Rolling Stones - Havanna Moon

A concert movie more than a film, but still worth a mention as it's up on Prime for free.

First big rock'n'roll gig from a western act in Cuba, that took place the week after Obama's visit....and it was a free gig.

Massive crowd (some say 1.2 million, 700,00 inside, 500,00 outside) and Jagger really is one of the best at communicating with an audience like that...and he'd obviously learnt a lot of the language for his between song chats.

Loads of crowd shots of joyous faces and people dancing, if it really was like that then it would have been epic, must have been a massive crush afterwards and no idea what the facilities would have been like for a crowd that big!

Same ol' Stone set list of course, but that's exactly what they should have done, and they were cracking. 

Sure Keef's fingers aren't what they used to be and the backing musicians pick up the slack, but The Stones prove to still be the kings of the big gig.

8/10

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 7168
    Just got back from Kong , Skull Island.

first 30 mins really good , especially the first scenes with Kong and the copters then it sort of tailed off into a predictable formula which is a shame.

thomas c Reilly was brilliant , tom hiddleston not at all believable as a British special forces tough guy :-)

overall 7/10 for me
    Just got back from Kong , Skull Island.

I don't really know why, but I can't muster any enthusiasm for this new Kong film.  I look at the trailers and the posters and something just tells me it can't possibly be interesting.

I love the 1933 film but the Peter Jackson version was the beginning of his decline, maybe that's what's turned me against the whole idea.
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3907
    Hell or high water.

A very simple bank robber movie.

Loved it.

9/10.
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3907
    Watched ' The Greasy strangler' lastnight, and well......i wasnt quite prepared for a film as bizarre as that!!

It is a very strangely dark, black comedy horror.
    Meda me piss my pants with laughter at some of the scenes, and purposely over-long awkward pauses in dialogue.

Really enjoyable, and would definitely recommend it to anyone with a certain type of dark humour.

8.5/10

I'm watching now based on your recommendation  :)

• Rolling Stones - Havanna Moon

A concert movie more than a film, but still worth a mention as it's up on Prime for free.

First big rock'n'roll gig from a western act in Cuba, that took place the week after Obama's visit....and it was a free gig.

Well maybe  the first since Manic Street Preachers in 2001.
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    I did not know that. Or the guy who wrote the blurb for the Stones. 
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16295
    I sat up to watch Papillon on the iPlayer before it was taken off at 1:55am (oddly specific). I haven't watched this for over thirty years and read the book in the mid 1980s. It's grimmer than I remember but it's a big budget, epic film.  
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    Eat and Cheap Thrills.  Both comedies, of sorts, which end up pretty gruesome and disturbing.  And both rather good.