What films have you watched recently?

What's Hot

Comments

• HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9672
    edited March 2017
    Hidden Figures - black ladies working for NASA engineering and computing during the space race, and civil rights movement years, but not really being recognised for their efforts. Very watchable.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • OlbotOlbot Frets: 0
    Logan

...It's a 15 and I don't think I'd be sneaking younger kids in, for  various reasons I think that's probably the right certificate

I agree, enjoyed it as well but the violence and language did lend itself to at least a 15.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22856
    I Survived a Zombie Holocaust
    Me and My Mates vs. the Zombie Apocalypse

An accidental double bill of low budget comedy horror, one from New Zealand and one from Australia.  One tries for an early Peter Jackson vibe, the other gets by on a lot - a real lot - of swearing.  Neither is at all scary, neither is consistently funny, but they're both very likeable.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12365
    Lucy. It was ok. 
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    "Rock of Ages" on Amazon Prime. 

Hillarioulsy bad (especially Russel Brand's ever changing comedy accent and Tom Cruise being totally unsuitable for the part).

Still enjoyed it though in a weird sort of way. 
  • ennspekennspek Frets: 1626
    Logan. It was good, certainly the best of the non-Marvel Xmen films. It was more like a horror in some ways than anything else, certainly not your usual superhero film.
    7.8894/10.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28226
    Red Riding Hood. The one with Amanda Siegface.

I have no idea what happened, but it was like Outlander with Ms Gollum in the lead role.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    When Pigs Have Wings. 2011 film set in Gaza. I suspect there was an element I wasn't getting as my knowledge of the area isn't strong enough and my enjoyment wasn't helped with anxieties about animal welfare. Simple tale in some ways with some really funny moments but the ending probably needs explaining to me.

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • BigBearKrisBigBearKris Frets: 1755
    edited March 2017
    Passengers.

SciFi romance. Due to hibernation pod failure guy wakes up 90 years before reaching destination. He's bit lonely so decides to wake up Jennifer Lawrence...
    I enjoyed it more than I thought I will. Bit too romance-y for my liking at times, but pretty good overall.
    6/10

Dr. Strange.

Typical Marvel story, pretty decent SFX. I don't particularly like Cumberbatch- he was ok in that one but in almost all his new movies he's some variation of Sherlock - and that's not a good thing imho. Dialogues were terrible, but that's not really important here. I thought it'll be terrible and it wasn't that bad.
    5/10
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9672
    Eye in the Sky. Tense and thought provoking. Enjoyed it.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16097
    Beauty and the Beast
     I only watch kids tv and films but I took my daughters expecting it to be well made but a nursery story anyway and it was absolutely brilliant -funny and sad .....great film but probably not for most of you
  • NotNowJohnNotNowJohn Frets: 187
    I took my daughter to see Beauty & The Beast last night.
    We enjoyed it immensely - good music, design, effects. It's also very camp.
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30922
    Over weekend...

Green Zone (outstanding- story about a soldier challenging the WMD story in Iraq)

The Informant! (true story about a bi-polar Walter Mitty who defrauded 11.5m)

Both starring Damon.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• hotpothotpot Frets: 846
    I watched 'Population Zero' today about a triple murder in Yellowstone park, It is in a mockumentary style which is compelling & thought provoking.

Very cleverly done & 8/10 from me.

Population Zero Poster

• Tone71Tone71 Frets: 625
    Lion - Bloody excellent
    We Are Twisted F*****g Sister. Quite straightforward documentary from their beginnings to the mid 1980s. Revolves around their appearance on The Tube to some extent which pleases me greatly as I remember that with huge fondness. More to TS than I thought really and a good film.
  • TavernorTavernor Frets: 85
    Young Offenders on Netflix is worth a gander.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27002
    Logan 

Absolutely brilliant. Moody and even bleak in places but absolutely the best xmen movie. I hope future movies will continue to focus on telling a story with just two or three main characters rather than trying to shoehorn in 8+ like all the previous ones.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16097
    We Are Twisted F*****g Sister. Quite straightforward documentary from their beginnings to the mid 1980s. Revolves around their appearance on The Tube to some extent which pleases me greatly as I remember that with huge fondness. More to TS than I thought really and a good film.
    My friend is married to JJ 's ex wife and they are all on good terms .JJ is a smashing guy and a seriously knowledgeable guitar collector and authority on vintage Gibsons,bursts etc.Acts as a collectors consultant.
    He is also a very big Ruakangas user/promoter/fan.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Dominic said:
    My friend is married to JJ 's ex wife and they are all on good terms .JJ is a smashing guy and a seriously knowledgeable guitar collector and authority on vintage Gibsons,bursts etc.Acts as a collectors consultant.
    He is also a very big Ruakangas user/promoter/fan.
    JJ was the main interviewee as it was his band to a large extent, he came across really well. Actually they all did, even the ex bassist.