What films have you watched recently?

What's Hot

Comments

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24334
    Finally saw Rogue One.

loved it! Far superior to AFA / A newer hope.

James Earl Jones is sounding old though.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12382
    Selma. A film about Martin Luther King's non violent stand against the denial of votes to blacks in the southern states. Quite shocking, but rather good. 
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6158
    The Handmaiden - the new film by the Korean bloke who did "Old Boy" (what a fantastic film that was). But don't go expecting the same sort of film. And if you do go and you find yourself sitting next to a hottie, make sure to place your jacket over your lap. It's a bit ... er... naughty, and very effectively so.

Beautifully filmed and with many surprises and plot twists, 8/10
  • sinbaadisinbaadi Frets: 1305
    Seen quite a few of late:
    Rogue One : very good but I'm not a big enough fan of the franchise to see how the story and all the little references fit with the other films.  8/10
    Ghost in the Shell :  I love the anime, though used to cringe at the English voice acting.  I knew better than to expect a remake because I had read about it.  To me it's a decent movie with spectacular visuals, inspired by the anime but not based on it.   7/10
    Kong: Skull Island : Good, full of stupid action, lots of things that don't make sense at all, and characters who you don't really care about much.  6/10
    Hell or High water: Great heist movie set in the Midwest of the USA.  Quite old school, simple.  8/10
    Split : James Mcavoy as the schizophrenic kidnapper of three school girls.  Worth a watch, tainted by M Night not being able to restrain himself at the end, but otherwise good.  7/10
    Rules Don't Apply : Warren Beatty as aged Howard Hughes trying to keep it together.  Interesting, except the movie is more about his driver/p.a. and his affection for one of the actresses on Hughes' payroll.  A bit dull.  6/10

• beed84beed84 Frets: 2409
    Prometheus - although there are mixed reviews, I loved it.

Children of Men - amazing film.

Sound of my Voice - interesting sci-fi film. Made me think.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28339
    Finding Dory, better than the Nemo film. I thought it was a lot of fun. My fave animated film for a long time though was Moana. A superb strong female lead, entertaining story and good characters. Well worth a look if you like animation.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28339
    Dopesick said:
    Hook - LOVED this as a child. Haven't seen this for nearly twenty years, and I've been dying to see it again for ages. While it does trigger some bright shades of nostalgia, it's not really as brilliant as I remember it being. Maybe because I'm older and mentally disheveled from all the drugs, booze and decadence over the years.
    I thought that Dustin Hoffman was absolutely terrible casting. That film NEEDED Kevin Kline. Hoffman was about as scary as a 90 year old grandad.
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    The Hatton Garden Job .. great British heist movie .. well worth a watch.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    Logan - really well acted, well shot, well paced film. Excellently dark, some touching and even funny moments. Probably the best "super hero" film that's been made, that girl is going to be a huge star. 9/10
    Eye in the sky. Helen Mirren and Alan Rickman as British military bods calling a drone strike on some baddies in Africa. Bloody hell, its tense.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15502
    RocknRolla, basically a cockney crime caper in the same mould as Layercake. Very styalised, but pretty good. Good, ensemble cast who did a good job. Plot a but thin, but it looked good.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16297
    Rogue One.

It's so dull! It had it's moments I guess but mostly two hours of characterless people chasing through a CGI world. I'm not a huge fan of the franchise but I have seen them all, this probably isn't as bad the prequels but it certainly didn't engage me much. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    boogieman said:
    Eye in the sky. Helen Mirren and Alan Rickman as British military bods calling a drone strike on some baddies in Africa. Bloody hell, its tense.
    I saw that .. wasn't expecting much but it was ace - great acting that made it believable, especially from the agent on the ground facing the militants. Well worth a watch if you've not seen it.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22929
    Blood Sucking Freaks.  Laughably bad and pretty tedious, but also quite disturbing.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72406
    Jean de Florette. I got this and the second part Manon des Sources from a charity shop yesterday - I've seen them, but so long ago I couldn't remember much apart from the plot outline and that they were quite good.

Better than I remember. Beautifully-shot, brilliantly acted and directed. If there's any flaw at all it's only that some of the characters are possibly exaggerated ever so slightly, but it's forgivable. Watching the second one tonight...

9/10

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    ICBM said:
    Jean de Florette. I got this and the second part Manon des Sources from a charity shop yesterday - I've seen them, but so long ago I couldn't remember much apart from the plot outline and that they were quite good.

Better than I remember. Beautifully-shot, brilliantly acted and directed. If there's any flaw at all it's only that some of the characters are possibly exaggerated ever so slightly, but it's forgivable. Watching the second one tonight...

9/10
    I've got those on DVD too. Great films, haven't seen them for years, must watch them again. 
  • quarkyquarky Frets: 2777
    Dumb and Dumber To.

I loved the original, it is one of my favourite films of all time, but even so, my hopes were not high for the sequel, because it would be so difficult to measure up. This just seemed quite amateurish in comparison, but I am not sure why. Maybe it tried too hard, maybe it just crossed the line to being deliberately silly (rather than deliberately funny), but it just didn't quite have it. Still, glad I saw it, and I didn't actually enjoy the original the first time I saw it either, so will give this another chance too at some point. 5/10
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24334
    I sat through the Divergent trilogy with my kids.

Fucking hell.

2/10
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72406
    ICBM said:
    Jean de Florette. I got this and the second part Manon des Sources from a charity shop yesterday

Watching the second one tonight...
    Wow. Even better than the first part. I did remember how it ends, but it's still powerful and emotive. Yves Montand in particular is brilliant although all the rest are good too.

10/10

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Flink_PoydFlink_Poyd Frets: 2490
    The Ghostbuster remake
    I noticed a lot of hate for this when it came out but I'm not quite sure what people were expecting to be honest. Its a dumb popcorn film and that's what I got. I chuckled a bit, spotted the cameos, liked the new Ghostbuster weapons but it was about 30 mins too long. Overall it wasn't that bad
    Nobody is guaranteed tomorrow.....

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom