What films have you watched recently?

What's Hot

Comments

• capo4thcapo4th Frets: 4437
    Patriots Day a film about two stupid Muslim brothers who planted bombs on the day of the Boston Marathon. I would give it a 7 out of 10.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12382
    Kon Tiki. The story of Thor Heyerdahl's trip across the Pacific on a balsa raft. I had no idea that the guys he went with were a bunch of amateurs (only one had ever sailed before. Heyerdahl himself couldn't even swim ). Enjoyed it, a pretty decent film. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6135
    Wonder woman. 

Massive yawn. Some good scenes but worse then expected.  
    And I didn't expect much.
    I'd just be happy watching the gorgeous Gal Gadot on the big screen!  :3
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • equalsql said:

I'd just be happy watching the gorgeous Gal Gadot on the big screen!  :3
    We all are @equalsql . That's why I've gone on a massive running, gym and diet kick.  It is quite possible that she be at The Guitar Show 2018 and she'll see the upgraded Handsome_Chris and things will start to really look up for me.
    Aaww @Handsome_Chris, you old dawg! I was hoping for first dibs  ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9682
    edited July 2017
    Finally got around to watching....

La La Land - As others have said, it's a bit marmite. I thought it was great even though it was definitely style over substance. Mrs9000 was quickly bored.

Hacksaw Ridge - Good, but IMHO didn't live up to the hype.

Lion - See Hacksaw Ridge.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    edited July 2017
    Bridesmaids. Not normally a fan of chick flick comedies but this one had Melissa McCarthy in it and I'm a fan. She's bloody hilarious in this... the bear sandwich bit at the end Brilliant. 
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10414
    Winter Bone : a girls meth cooking father goes missing meaning she has to either find him or prove he's dead to avoid losing the house over his bail bond. Very good film indeed
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Danny1969 said:
    Winter Bone : a girls meth cooking father goes missing meaning she has to either find him or prove he's dead to avoid losing the house over his bail bond. Very good film indeed
    Indeed, very good film that. 
  • Flink_PoydFlink_Poyd Frets: 2490
    edited July 2017
    Spiderman Homecoming 
     far better than the previous efforts but without the usual enemy like Green Goblin etc. 
     Kids enjoyed it and so did I. Usual superhero storyline, Michael Keaton is good as the villain. There's a clip at the end of the credits that made me chuckle. It fun, plenty of action and thankfully they only reference the back story of how he became Spiderman rather than having 15 minutes of exposition.  
    Nobody is guaranteed tomorrow.....

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72407
    Despicable Me 3

Completely and utterly bonkers :).

If you remember the 80s, go and see it :D.

9/10

Loses a point because my kids didn't enjoy it as much as I did, since they're too young to really get it...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• hotpothotpot Frets: 846
    I watched the Sci-Fi film 'Life' last night, Wish I had picked something else to watch to be honest,  Comical alien CGI to say the least, B movie at best 3/10.

Life Poster
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6265
    Logan - loved it.
    Split - hmm, not sure. If M Knight Shymalan wasn't inolved I am sure it could have been brilliant. James Macavoy was very good, the story is good, but the execution was a bit poor. Worth a watch, but you do find yourslef thinking "my arse" quite a lot.
  • BigBearKrisBigBearKris Frets: 1755
    Miss Sloane
    I like political fiction and this is a good one + it has Jessica Chastain playing in it and she has recently became one of my favourite actresses - great talent. Since "Dark Zero Thirty" everything I've seen her in was pretty good  (performance wise). 7/10

Alien Covenant
    Despite the poor reviews on here - i don't look for plotholes and just trying to enjoy the experience. I think it was rather good - some silly moments with the Alien itself - but enjoyed the movie overall. To little good sci-fi not or enjoy it. 6.5/10

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22929
    edited July 2017

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

Not quite as bad as everyone says it is, but it does feel like it serves no purpose other than to set things up for Justice League.  The plot manages to be both simple and incomprehensible.  I quite liked Ben Affleck's curmudgeonly Batman.  And I am in love with Gal Gadot.

Doctor Strange

Maybe it just compared favourably with Batman v Superman, but I really liked this one.  It's still primarily a CGI-fest but with some good performances from a very decent cast and a surprising amount of humour too.

hotpot said:
    I watched the Sci-Fi film 'Life' last night, Wish I had picked something else to watch to be honest,  Comical alien CGI to say the least, B movie at best 3/10.

Life Poster
    That just looked to be a clone of Alien, judging by the trailer. 
    Alien Covenant - Yawn, same old same old. They really do need to call it a day on this one, it was just so preposterous.

Personal Shopper - Much better than I thought it would be and wow Kristen Stewart can really act. Understated, dark and edgy.
    Definitely worth viewing.
  • Col_DeckerCol_Decker Frets: 2188

The Last Witch Hunter.

On Netflix, its about Vin Diesel being a Witch Hunter who is hunting Witches. Was ok actually but it won't change your life.

Ed Conway & The Unlawful Men - Alt Prog Folk: The FaceBook and The SoundCloud

'Rope Or A Ladder', 'Don't Sing Love Songs', and 'Poke The Frog'  albums available now - see FaceBook page for details

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27077
    edited July 2017
    Spider-Man Homecoming. 

Really really good. Though I'm typing this waiting for the extremely long credits to roll to get to the second post-credits sequence...

EDIT: Well worth the wait for some excellent trolling from Captain America...
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16297
    The Girl on the Train.

As I understand it the original book was set in London and it felt it needed somethimg more urban and gritty rather than posh US suburbs somehow. However, really good thriller. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell.