What films have you watched recently?

What's Hot

Comments

• guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7961
    Sporky said:
    Atlantic Rim.

Significantly worse than Pacific Rim in every regard.
    I can't even begin to imagine the horror...
    We bought the DVD a while back thinking 'this looks fun'

Two attempts later and I don't think we've got past 30 mins. It's terrible, but not the awesome terrible or something like Sharknado.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22928
    "Silent House" - the American remake.

Both this and the Uruguayan original are allegedly based on a true story from the 40's.

There's very little gore but it does psychological horror very well.

8/10

:)
    I find it hard to believe the "based on a true story" aspect, simply because there's not much story there, let alone a story that anyone's going to remember for 70 years.

Both films work well though, although they fall apart a bit at the end.  I was absolutely shitting myself when I saw the original, that kind of slow-burn psychological horror disturbs me a lot more than a load of gore and screaming.
  • Went to see The Mummy last week.  The new one with that Tom Cruise.  Do yourselves a favour and go see something else.  Anything else.  I mean it, absolutely anything else.
    @thumpingrug , can it really be that bad?
  • TheBlueWolfTheBlueWolf Frets: 1536
    Philly_Q said:
    "Silent House" - the American remake.

Both this and the Uruguayan original are allegedly based on a true story from the 40's.

There's very little gore but it does psychological horror very well.

8/10

:)
    I find it hard to believe the "based on a true story" aspect, simply because there's not much story there, let alone a story that anyone's going to remember for 70 years.

Both films work well though, although they fall apart a bit at the end.  I was absolutely shitting myself when I saw the original, that kind of slow-burn psychological horror disturbs me a lot more than a load of gore and screaming.
    It's more of a gimmick to promote a film. Assuming there *was* an incident it's a shaggy dog story.

Twisted Imaginings - A Horror And Gore Themed Blog http://bit.ly/2DF1NYi

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • artinskiartinski Frets: 9
    "Wild Mouse" by Josef Hader. Good stuff. 
  • thumpingrugthumpingrug Frets: 2914
    Went to see The Mummy last week.  The new one with that Tom Cruise.  Do yourselves a favour and go see something else.  Anything else.  I mean it, absolutely anything else.
    @thumpingrug , can it really be that bad?
    Only someone else whose been could confirm its utter blandness.

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12382
    Mr Turner. Bit of an odd film but Timothy Spall is bloody magnificent. 
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16297
    My son watched The Lobster and I ended up watching most of it. If you can imagine Colin Farrell playing Father Dougal in a dystopian future romping around in the woods with Rachel Weiss that's basically it.
    I'm divided between it being utter shite and utter brilliance although that it's got me thinking this about it probably sways it towards brilliance. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    edited June 2017
    As usual I'm behind the curve on new releases:

American Sniper (on Amazon Prime):
    Very well done, I was aware of the guy but didn't know the outcome at the end (but there was certainly a feeling of "something nasty is about to happen" in the final scene of him at home). Reading a bit of the history after watching it makes it clear there was a fair bit of story telling added in, but all helped to tell the tale, so it hit the spot, 8/10.

Robocop (remake on Film 4):
    Flicking through the channels last night came across this, I seem to recall it was pretty much panned, but seemed pretty similar to the original to me but with modern CGI (I haven't seen the original since my teens though!). .....and seeing the guy that voices Hiccup in "how to train your dragon" was a surprise. Not wholly arresting but a decent way to pass the time if you take your brain out, 6/10
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Another browse through Amazon Prime last night and settled on "Empire of the Sun".

I saw this years and years ago but apart from the famous P-51 Mustang scene (the legendary Ray Hanna at the controls) I didn't really remember much of it, and it's bloody good.

Also didn't realise it was a young Christian Bale, the boy did good in this.
  • BigBearKrisBigBearKris Frets: 1755
    I'm divided between it being utter shite and utter brilliance 
    The latter. 
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27075
    Fargo 

Erm. Good but a bit.. meh.. I think. Not sure I quite "get" the Coens. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ZoolooterZoolooter Frets: 887
    Watching Bad Batch tonight, I'll report back. 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22928

I had a week of watching superhero movies - Wonder Woman, Captain America: Civil War and X-Men: Apocalypse.

All pretty good - and let's face it, all pretty similar.  WW is definitely the best of the DC films so far.

• snakemanStoosnakemanStoo Frets: 1708
    Lego Batman.  Was funny.
    PSN id : snakey33stoo
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    Guardians of the Galaxy 2

loved it… loads of fun...
    play every note as if it were your first
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7961
    Terminator Genisys

Despite what seems were generally shit reviews I enjoyed it. It's not T2 but I enjoyed it more than T3 and Salvation
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3054
    The Accountant, I expected some corporate financial exposure, what I got was great, Affleck played the part brilliantly......
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• DanRDanR Frets: 1041
    paulnb57 said:
    The Accountant, I expected some corporate financial exposure, what I got was great, Affleck played the part brilliantly......
    Whilst I enjoyed the film I found it was a bit far fetched when he turned down Anna Kedrick.
  • BigBearKrisBigBearKris Frets: 1755
    Wonder woman. 

Massive yawn. Some good scenes but worse then expected.  
    And I didn't expect much.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom