What films have you watched recently?

What's Hot

Comments

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12363
    The Girl on the Train.

As I understand it the original book was set in London and it felt it needed somethimg more urban and gritty rather than posh US suburbs somehow. However, really good thriller. 
    We were debating whether to watch that last night but my daughter in law had said it didn't translate very well from the book. Might still give it a go based on what you've said. 

Ended up watching Mystic River instead. Excellent stuff, Tim Robbins is superb. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    boogieman said:
    The Girl on the Train.

As I understand it the original book was set in London and it felt it needed somethimg more urban and gritty rather than posh US suburbs somehow. However, really good thriller. 
    We were debating whether to watch that last night but my daughter in law had said it didn't translate very well from the book. Might still give it a go based on what you've said. 

From a review of the film on the radio I gather the book slowly unveils her state of mind ( trying not to be too specific here) whereas in the film it's given away almost at the start so it's, presumably, a more straightforward whodunnit than the book is. 

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    boogieman said:
    The Girl on the Train.

From a review of the film on the radio I gather the book slowly unveils her state of mind ( trying not to be too specific here) whereas in the film it's given away almost at the start so it's, presumably, a more straightforward whodunnit than the book is. 

I haven't read the book, so I'll give it a whirl. Tbh there's not an awful lot else to watch on Prime anyway. For some reason Mrs B doesn't fancy the Lego Movie.  :)
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2897
    Fargo 

Erm. Good but a bit.. meh.. I think. Not sure I quite "get" the Coens. 
    Same here. I've never really seen anything by them that I thought was amazing, or at least lived up to the hype.
  • Watched Contagion last night. Wasn't fully paying attention but fairly enjoyable. Hadn't read much about it so was surprised how many big names were in it. 
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    boogieman said:
    boogieman said:
    The Girl on the Train.

I haven't read the book, so I'll give it a whirl. Tbh there's not an awful lot else to watch on Prime anyway. For some reason Mrs B doesn't fancy the Lego Movie.  :)
    It's really surprisingly good.

I saw Spiderman Friday night. Possibly the best Spiderman film, but it's hard to compare with Raimi's 2nd one as they're very different beasts. I loved the John Hughes + superhero blend. Iron Man isn't overused, and Tom Holland is just terrific. Only criticisms would be some great actors are underused, particularly Donald Glover but I expect we'll see more of him in the sequels, and Sony has left a mark with tons of product placement but it's not enough to ruin it all. Hannibal Buress as the gym teacher was a great surprise, he's hilarious as always, and Martin Starr as another teacher is also very funny. I wasn't sold on a younger looking Aunt May, but it seems more realistic to have an aunt that age and their relationship is believable. There's some good laughs with the character too. 10/10 a youthful invigoration for the MCU
    My V key is broken
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    Wonder woman. 

Massive yawn. Some good scenes but worse then expected.  
    And I didn't expect much.
    You must have been watching a different film from me!
    My V key is broken
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • The Girl on a Train

Nocturnal Animals

both predictable but not in a bad way.
  • capo4thcapo4th Frets: 4437
    Life on the Line

This is not a movie about cocaine addiction. This is a movie about electricity. Avoid.
    TTBZ said:
    Fargo 

Erm. Good but a bit.. meh.. I think. Not sure I quite "get" the Coens. 
    Same here. I've never really seen anything by them that I thought was amazing, or at least lived up to the hype.
    Try Blood Simple. It's brilliant.  ;)
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22794
    I Don't Feel at Home in This World Anymore
    Great little low budget comedy thriller with Melanie Lynskey and Elijah Wood.  Exclusively on Netflix, apparently, so I wouldn't have had a chance to see it if I hadn't visited my brother this weekend.

War for the Planet of the Apes
    I haven't seen the two previous films so it took a while for me to get into it, but plotwise it's pretty much a revenge Western, nice simple good vs evil stuff which pushes all the right emotional buttons.  I enjoyed it. 
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    Despicable Me

fkn awesome
    play every note as if it were your first
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28172
    Heat.

I'd not seen it in probably 10 years. Even longer than I remember (Lady BMcH gave up at the 2 hour mark), but still a fantastic fillum. I really like that it's not just out-and-out action from start to finish, which makes the shooty bits have that much more impact. The massive volume differential helps too.

I do think it could be usefully trimmed to a bit under 3 hours though. It's very, very long.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 7128
    Baby driver . The best soundtrack of any film I can remember . The film itself is a stylish crime caper , a bit 'young' a la Kingsman but very good.
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7960
    Kong Skull Island

Actually pretty enjoyable. I wasn't expecting much but there are some good action scenes and it doesn't feel an entire day long. 
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6264
    ^ is it better than the last King Kong, Peter Jackson? I liked that one.
    Depends, I'd say yes because I just want to see kong punching things, and that happens pretty early on. There's not really much of a story, but the action is good
  • TavernorTavernor Frets: 85
    I've been meaning to watch it for ages but it's IMDB user reviews put me off. Normally they are fairly on the money but I've really enjoyed films that have been slaughtered there and vice versa. Is it 'go out of your way' good or just a good way to burn a bit time?

Watched The Big Short last night, pleasantly surprised how enjoyable it was. Fully recommend for any fellow Netflix fiends.
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2897
    Watched that new Netflix original To The Bone last night. It was alright, a bit predictable and the British guy did my head in.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited July 2017
    Tavernor said:
    I've been meaning to watch it for ages but it's IMDB user reviews put me off. Normally they are fairly on the money but I've really enjoyed films that have been slaughtered there and vice versa. Is it 'go out of your way' good or just a good way to burn a bit time.
    Good way to burn time I'd say, if you're looking for a pretty straightforward action film. They wasted a 
    lot of money on casting because the script isn't really good enough to warrant needing Samuel L Jackson, but I thought it was fun.