What films have you watched recently?

What's Hot

Comments

• bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723

A Message From The King.

Excellent Netflix fillum about this South African guy who goes to LA to try to find out what happened his sister.  One of the best fillums I've seen this year. 

I watched that last night, it was an engaging couple of hours and it looks like he could be back for more adventures! Did you guess the reveal at the end?

No - I would never have thought.  Did you?  

Not in the least, I thought he was going to get nicked!
    Yeah, it was a great twist.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17136
    boogieman said:

Alien Covenant.

Total tosh. How may more prequels can they flog out of this particular dead horse? None of them ever came close to Ridley Scott's initial gothic masterpiece.

Thing is, once the alien had been revealed in the first film, nothing was ever going to be as good again. I can remember seeing it at the cinema and it scaring the bejasus out of me. It's only the old "monster in the dark house" schtick when it's all boiled down, but that  first film was done brilliantly. The claustrophobic atmosphere, the way the tension is built up, the way you only got half glimpses of the alien at first, then the unexpected weirdness of the thing when you finally see it, the film sets, even the music score.. just magnificent film making throughout. 

I still fancy seeing Covenant though, seems like Prometheus, bit of a marmite film. (I liked Prometheus fwiw, plot holes and all ). 

Don't let me put you off seeing it, maybe I was expecting something that wasn't going to materialise. It just seemed like more of the Prometheus thing.

I agree, the first film really put the shits up me when I watched it. It wasn't often I'd feel scared but I certainly did with that one. The only other one that I really liked was Alien 3, as it had some of that same tension, and there were no guns or bombs involved. I thought 'Aliens' was good too, but in a different way from those two.

• TheBlueWolfTheBlueWolf Frets: 1536
    Zombiesaurus.

It's as stupid as it sounds and clichéd as fuck but enjoyable nonsense anyway. A definite "brain off" film 8/20

Twisted Imaginings - A Horror And Gore Themed Blog http://bit.ly/2DF1NYi

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24372
    I forgot one.

Sharknado 5: Global Swarming.

Stupid, infantile, glorious.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72415

Alien Covenant.

Total tosh. How may more prequels can they flog out of this particular dead horse? None of them ever came close to Ridley Scott's initial gothic masterpiece.
    Currently at #5 in Mark Kermode's Worst Films Of The Year (up to June).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Atomic Blonde.
    Absolutely brilliant cinematography and story and fab soundtrack. 9/10.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15976
    Deep throat.....far too much sex
    tae be or not tae be
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24372
    Red and Red 2

Enjoyable enough take on the old geezers are still good thing. But Space Cowboys did it better.

6.5 / 10
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1474
    The Infiltrator, with Bryan Cranston. Very enjoyable 7/10.

Icarus - documentary on Netflix about doping in sport. Probably one of the best documentaries I've ever seen. 10/10
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5170
    Emoji movie.....I know, I know....I've not seen a proper film for years... 7/10
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Minions - Good fun!

The Gambler with Mark Wahlberg - kind of OK.

• HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9684
    edited August 2017
    Going In Style with Michael Caine, Morgan Freeman, and Alan Arkin.

Three codgers plan a robbery after their pension fund is stolen by the company.

Enjoyable enough romp with plenty of laughs. Easy viewing. 
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12383
    Enders Game. 

Crap. 

'Sicario'.

Not bad, but is knocked sideways, and flushed down the bog by Netflix's sublime 'Narcos' series.

• hotpothotpot Frets: 846
    Idiocracy

It was  close eyes & point to a film to watch and this was it, Holy bat pants what a turkey of a film, It's a rednecks & Chavs extravaganza of the lowest order.
     Wasn't there a thread about 'dumbing down' on here lately, this film is it, only ten fold.

Utter tripe. Nil pois.

Idiocracy Poster

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12383
    Immortals. Oh dear. Someone should've killed it at birth.

Shockingingly bad CGI, I've seen better computer games.

Mickey Rourke as a nasty king in a series of weird hats, constantly eating, for some unfathomable reason.

John Hurt featured to give the film a bit of artistic weight I'm guessing? Or he had a spare five minutes to fill. 

The Indian girl out of Best Exotic Marigold Hotel as a virgin prophetess. The bit where she shows her arse getting into bed with the hero was the probably the highlight of the film. Not often you can say that. 

Awful. But I still watched it. Go figure. 
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27108
    hotpot said:
    Idiocracy

It was  close eyes & point to a film to watch and this was it, Holy bat pants what a turkey of a film, It's a rednecks & Chavs extravaganza of the lowest order.
     Wasn't there a thread about 'dumbing down' on here lately, this film is it, only ten fold.

Utter tripe. Nil pois.

Idiocracy Poster

You know that's satire, right?
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • It's got electrolytes
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • hotpothotpot Frets: 846
    hotpot said:
    Idiocracy

Utter tripe. Nil pois.

Idiocracy Poster

You know that's satire, right?
    Not where I live.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Alien Covenant 

The Alien really isn't the story, it's the David and Walter show. I really like Michael Fassbender as an android, he's got the creepiness down to a tee. Guessed the ending but overall it's just pushing OK. 2hrs of stereotypical space jockeys but the new Ripley (can't remember the characters name, speaks volumes) is very much gluten free, low calorie and no added sugar. 
    Nobody is guaranteed tomorrow.....