What films have you watched recently?

What's Hot

Comments

• TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7448
    Get Out - really liked this, great acting and an original story - gripping. 8.5/10 

Life - I expected this to be a bit crap but it was on the 1.99 rental area on Amazon Prime Video so went for it. It's actually FAR tenser that I thought it would be, great CGI for the titular entity and it kept me gripped all the way through. A surprising 8/10 for space movie fans. 
    Red ones are better. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22951
    Hidden In The Woods
    It was only when I actually started watching this that I realised it's an American remake of a terrible Chilean thriller/horror I saw a few years ago. Featuring Michael Biehn and William Forsythe, both actors who have seen better times.... it's fully of utterly repellent characters and is very poorly made, but it has a certain manic intensity (although considerably less so than the Chilean version).
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 985
    Dunkirk - Thought it was a good film 7/10
  • duotone said:
    Barry Norman is alive and well :)
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Flink_PoydFlink_Poyd Frets: 2490
    edited September 2017
    starwarsnosebleed said:
    duotone said:
    Barry Norman is alive and well
    With shades of Kermode I thought. Love an in depth review :
    Nobody is guaranteed tomorrow.....

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5170
    American made.... 'Twas the first time in 7 years me and the Mrs have had a child free evening, so er' indoors decides she needs a Tom Cruise film fix. So onto the film review... I dunno really, it was alright but just wanted something to get going and happen...6/10
  • Whitney - Can I be me? 

Cheerless, interesting but cheerless. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • frank1985frank1985 Frets: 523
    edited September 2017
    Just finished watching Life. Excellent film, great cast. Loved the ending! 
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12365
    duotone said:
    Like the Lester Bangs of film reviewers.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Limehouse Golem - enjoyable ripper type Victorian murder thingy. Felt a bit like a good TV mini series stitched into a film, not the most complex storyline but Nighy was predictably good as was the supporting cast including a truly stunning imho Spanish actress who gets her kit off :-)

Daughter and her mates saw IT at the same time and loved it - they are all 15 and were still awake downstairs having a sleepover at 3 am . It's a shame as I planned to blow up a single red balloon and leave it in their room while they slept to guarantee a laugh for me when they all wake up but I couldn't stay awake long enough
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Alien Covenant - 2/10

It's shit. See here for more: http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1617133/#Comment_1617133

Lost in Translation - 6/10
    A romantic comedy that isn't particularly funny, very little happens and [spoilers] they don't end up together. And I'm not entirely sure it's a good representation of Japan, but what do I know? 

Colossal - 5/10

It's almost good, but is too busy throwing out too many heavy-handed metaphors and not really making any of them stick. Is it a monster movie? Not really. Is it about unemployment? Not really. Is it about alcoholism? not really. Is it about bullying and domestic abuse? maybe but the message is so mixed up by the time you get there you won't care. 

And whatever chump made this the poster clearly hadn't even read a plot summary, never mind seen the movie.

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22951
    A romantic comedy that isn't particularly funny, very little happens and [spoilers] they don't end up together. And I'm not entirely sure it's a good representation of Japan, but what do I know? 

Almost everyone I know who's seen that film loves it, but I didn't like it at all.  Nice to see I'm not alone.
  • The Chaser - 6/10.  Korean thriller about an ex-cop looking for dead prostitutes.  
  • Watched "Brassed Off" which I've somehow managed to miss whenever it's been on. It hasn't aged well but Tara Fitzgerald was lovely and the soundtrack was, of course, outstanding. I do love a brass band. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Watched most of X Men: First Class ( that right?) last night when I got back from the cinema watching It. Starts well but becomes increasingly silly so ended up flicking between that and MOTD.

Also watched It ( bet you didn't see that coming...) about which there is a whole separate Discussion, just to say that having not really wanted to go I thought it was really, really good and I'd recommend it. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • ZoolooterZoolooter Frets: 887
    edited September 2017
    Wind River - brilliant, heartfelt film making.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72418
    Philly_Q said:
    Almost everyone I know who's seen that film loves it, but I didn't like it at all.  Nice to see I'm not alone.
    I liked it, but didn't love it - it's quite funny, but not as outright hilarious as the reviews imply. I liked the ending too. I also suspect it's quite a clichéd representation of Japan, but likewise I've never been there to know.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    It Comes at Night (2017)

Tense and creepy. Rated 6.4 on IMDB. My rating is 7.5.  I would not call it a Horror film but it is hard sometimes choosing the genre. It has also given me a new idea to find films that I may have missed.
    I thought Joel Edgerton was terrific and believable in this film.
    So what else has he done?
    I am going to watch The Gift (2015) next.

• ICBM said:
    Philly_Q said:
    I liked it, but didn't love it - it's quite funny, but not as outright hilarious as the reviews imply. I liked the ending too. I also suspect it's quite a clichéd representation of Japan, but likewise I've never been there to know.

I suspect that, had I seen it as a student when it came out, I would have connected with it much better. But it just didn't quite click for me. It's not like I regret watching it, and I'd watch it again if MrsF wanted, but I don't mind if I don't see it again. Whereas once I finished LIT I flipped to the Darth Vader bit in Rogue One and watched that twice because it's just fantastic :)
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72418
    edited September 2017
    stickyfiddle said:

I suspect that, had I seen it as a student when it came out, I would have connected with it much better. But it just didn't quite click for me.
    I didn't see it until a few months ago, and I'm 50 :). I know what you mean about it not quite clicking, though - I've seen it mentioned more than once as one of the best films ever, and hilarious. I just thought it was quite good and mildly amusing.

I have watched the whole of Rogue One three times now though, and I agree with you about that . Not just the Darth bit, the whole thing is fantastic.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein