Line 6 HX One

What's Hot

Comments

• robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    Does sound likely. I prefer explicit 'on' and 'off' values because they are less likely to go wrong
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5156
    pt22 said:
    Isn't that the EHX Ctrl pedal? I have one like it that I got made years ago to have a momentary switch to go between two harmony intervals on a harmonise pedal, sounds similar?

I think the idea is that the Flux control can impact many parameters and ramp them up/down as you set. You can assign that to an external switch, but not to an external expression pedal. An expression pedal would impact on a single parameter, not many at once. 

It would be great for HX to allow for external expression of the Flux timing parameter, so that all other effects parameters effected would transition along with the expression treadle. 

The expression pedal function on the M5 (so I assume the same is true of the HX One) allows you to assign as many parameter changes as you like to the expression pedal, and they'll all change as you move the treadle. You *can* have it control just one thing- wah or volume sweep, whammy pitch etc.- but you aren't limited to that.

As I understand it, the point of the FLUX function is to get some of that functionality without having to connect a bulky expression pedal, although I think they missed a trick in not allowing the FLUX switch to toggle between latching and momentary operation. Maybe they'll add it in a firmware update.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27075
    edited January 11
    pt22 said:
    Isn't that the EHX Ctrl pedal? I have one like it that I got made years ago to have a momentary switch to go between two harmony intervals on a harmonise pedal, sounds similar?

I think the idea is that the Flux control can impact many parameters and ramp them up/down as you set. You can assign that to an external switch, but not to an external expression pedal. An expression pedal would impact on a single parameter, not many at once. 

It would be great for HX to allow for external expression of the Flux timing parameter, so that all other effects parameters effected would transition along with the expression treadle. 

The expression pedal function on the M5 (so I assume the same is true of the HX One) allows you to assign as many parameter changes as you like to the expression pedal, and they'll all change as you move the treadle. You *can* have it control just one thing- wah or volume sweep, whammy pitch etc.- but you aren't limited to that.

As I understand it, the point of the FLUX function is to get some of that functionality without having to connect a bulky expression pedal, although I think they missed a trick in not allowing the FLUX switch to toggle between latching and momentary operation. Maybe they'll add it in a firmware update.

You can already use an Exp to do exactly that if you want to. 

That then limits you to 1x Aux switch unless you use MIDI, but that’s not the end of the world 

The Flux button just gives you an automated expression option, without a treadle, essentially. You can control speed and taper of the upward and downward ramps, which is neat. 

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires

I think they missed a trick in not allowing the FLUX switch to toggle between latching and momentary operation. Maybe they'll add it in a firmware update.

That then limits you to 1x Aux switch unless you use MIDI, but that’s not the end of the world 

(edited to remove all but the relevant bits)

Yes you can, but surely the whole point of the FLUX functionality is that it replicates what the HX One can do with an expression pedal, only without any external controllers so you can keep your board compact. 

It's definitely a nitpick and not a "forget it, I don't want one any more" level complaint. I bet they add it though.

I think they missed a trick in not allowing the FLUX switch to toggle between latching and momentary operation. Maybe they'll add it in a firmware update.

(edited to remove all but the relevant bits)

Yes you can, but surely the whole point of the FLUX functionality is that it replicates what the HX One can do with an expression pedal, only without any external controllers so you can keep your board compact. 

It's definitely a nitpick and not a "forget it, I don't want one any more" level complaint. I bet they add it though.
    Yep I totally agree - it’s how I’d like to use Flux for quite a lot of stuff, and it’s how I’m used to using my Talkbox as well, so the muscle memory is there, at least in my case. 

I get that it’s tricky because holding the button switches between Tap and Flux, but they could push that function to the On/Off switch, or at v least let you a single aux to achieve it. 

it’s been mentioned a few times on TGP as well so im very sure they’ll be looking at it in a first round of updates
    Ok, it's gone on the board today and I'm starting to properly work out how to drive it. 

A couple of thoughts/noticings so far: 
    1. It makes really weird noises if you plumb it in with drives in the send/return but don't tell the pedal... Easy fix but that had me rather confused for a few minutes
    2. You can't change the effect mix with Flux. So my idea for the pitch shift of having a -2 100% mix shift and +12 50% mix on one patch doesn't work. That's a shame and I don't see any good reason why it's like that, unless I've missed something
    3. You can name patches, but when you select them it only shows the FX name, so if I have a Poly Pitch patch called "D Std" and scroll to that with my aux, it just displays Poly Pitch and not my patch name or its corresponding number so I can make notes on a setlist. This is actually a massive oversight - assuming of course I haven't missed a menu option for this. Need to go read the manual and ping @Digital_Igloo if it's not currently possible as that genuinely will hurt the usability for playing live. 
    Otherwise I'm very happy - I've already set up the go-to pitch shifts and delays I wanted it for most of all and I have no doubt I can use it for a bunch of stuff the band is talking about covering this year. 

Ok, it's gone on the board today and I'm starting to properly work out how to drive it. 

A couple of thoughts/noticings so far: 
    1. It makes really weird noises if you plumb it in with drives in the send/return but don't tell the pedal... Easy fix but that had me rather confused for a few minutes
    2. You can't change the effect mix with Flux. So my idea for the pitch shift of having a -2 100% mix shift and +12 50% mix on one patch doesn't work. That's a shame and I don't see any good reason why it's like that, unless I've missed something
    3. You can name patches, but when you select them it only shows the FX name, so if I have a Poly Pitch patch called "D Std" and scroll to that with my aux, it just displays Poly Pitch and not my patch name or its corresponding number so I can make notes on a setlist. This is actually a massive oversight - assuming of course I haven't missed a menu option for this. Need to go read the manual and ping @Digital_Igloo if it's not currently possible as that genuinely will hurt the usability for playing live. 
    Otherwise I'm very happy - I've already set up the go-to pitch shifts and delays I wanted it for most of all and I have no doubt I can use it for a bunch of stuff the band is talking about covering this year. 

Ok I’m a chump who didn’t read the manual. So point 2 isn’t a problem :)

Point 3 is still a pain as far as I can tell. If you select presets using preset mode on the HX itself they shows you the names but I can’t see how to do that with an aux for up/down. :(
    edited January 14
    @stickyfiddle re: #3, it looks like it works the same as the M5 does- you can press both footswitches to show a list of preset names which hopefully your aux pedal will still scroll through. There's a setting somewhere to choose whether you then have to select that preset to hear it, or if scrolling to it on the list changes preset. p10-11 in the manual.
    It might not be the perfect solution- you can't see any of the parameters until you select the preset, and if you do you'll have to go back to preset mode later- but it's a step in the right direction I reckon.

@stickyfiddle re: #3, it looks like it works the same as the M5 does- you can press both footswitches to show a list of preset names which hopefully your aux pedal will still scroll through. There's a setting somewhere to choose whether you then have to select that preset to hear it, or if scrolling to it on the list changes preset. p10-11 in the manual.
    It might not be the perfect solution- you can't see any of the parameters until you select the preset, and if you do you'll have to go back to preset mode later- but it's a step in the right direction I reckon.
    Yep I worked that out so far. What I'd love is for the screen to show the name of the preset when you select it with just the aux without having to press On+Flux together. Otherwise I might as well not worry about the aux as I'll still have to do the double-press thing. 

I'm sure they can change this in a firmware update so will ping them a request. With that updated I can't find anything else to bitch about, which is impressive for this kind of unit! 
  • jellybellyjellybelly Frets: 755
    Does the One have 'favourites'? If so, renaming those I believe shows the effect name with the custom text Vs the original pedal name. Might be misunderstanding though so apologies if so!
    Does the One have 'favourites'? If so, renaming those I believe shows the effect name with the custom text Vs the original pedal name. Might be misunderstanding though so apologies if so!
    Yeah it has Presets and they show in a list when you scroll through using Preset mode. But when you select it the screen shows the FX name, not the preset name. 

I dropped them a support ticket at the weekend and they already replied agreeing this would be a good update and that we should see it soon. They actually described it as a bug, so whether intentional or not they do seem to be keen to improve it. Either way that's great stuff as usual from L6
  • chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 3968
    Mine has just arrived…
    Yeah it has Presets and they show in a list when you scroll through using Preset mode. But when you select it the screen shows the FX name, not the preset name. 

I dropped them a support ticket at the weekend and they already replied agreeing this would be a good update and that we should see it soon. They actually described it as a bug, so whether intentional or not they do seem to be keen to improve it. Either way that's great stuff as usual from L6
    Ok, they confirmed it's not a bug as such, but is the current design intent. I've put it on ideascale, and see that several other folks have already listed the same thing because it's SO OBVIOUS. 

I've also asked to be able to scroll through presets without necessarily engaging them in order, so I could be playing Preset #2, then scroll up to #4 (keeping #2 active), then hit a button to engage #4 when I need to change, rather than having to hear #3 in the middle as I scroll through. That is slightly more tricky as there aren't enough switches to make it simple, but it would be a good option... 
  • thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 2328
    I'm liking the HX one.. plan was to use mainly as modulation, but like the kinky boost or compressor at the start of the pedal board, and some of the delays/reverbs/weird sounds could be useful.
    -  But I have the following gripes.

1.  I'd like to be able to switch the tuner on/off easier.  ie hold down one switch and it turns on or be able to assign FS3/4 to tuner.  In fact being able to assign the FS's to whatever you want would be useful.

2. the issues with scrolling through presets and them automatically being on, is really crap.   That really does need sorting.as in a gig you might get a whole load of noise you really don't want by changing preset.

3.  The  preset name thing is a bit irritating  - even if it just had the preset number showing would be a benefit.

4.  I dont' know where to put it in the chain for gigs..  I use a number of different amps, some just as a clean platform  (in which case I wouldn't use the effects loop of the amp)  and some as a two channel job (using the FX loop of the amp for delays/modulations etc).      4cm works to a degree.. but I'd like to have my OD pedals in the effects loop and be able to run the One either in the loop of an amp or in front depending on the effect.

For example, I don't want the  HX compressor/drives in the loop of the amp but I  might want any reverb/modulation to be in  the loop.  I can't think of an easy way to do this without tearing everything down.

5.  The effects are good.. BUT the Tremolo's just don't compare to the Strymon Mobius.  I can get vaguely close, but it just doesn't quite do it for me.

• menamestommenamestom Frets: 4704
    thomasw88 said:
    I'm liking the HX one.. plan was to use mainly as modulation, but like the kinky boost or compressor at the start of the pedal board, and some of the delays/reverbs/weird sounds could be useful.

1.  I'd like to be able to switch the tuner on/off easier.  ie hold down one switch and it turns on or be able to assign FS3/4 to tuner.  In fact being able to assign the FS's to whatever you want would be useful.

This came out just after I ordered a Plethora X3.  I thought about swapping to the HX One anyway, but the Plethora Tuner is great and I was wondering how the HX One compared.

With the Plethora, I set one switch to tap/long press tuner and then the tuner is really easy to engage and big and bright when it does.  I think I'd really miss that going to the HX One, but the HX one has some great stuff in it the Plethora doesn't.

Saying all that, the Plethora only got this functionality recently, previously it was a tripple tap to engage the tuner, so doubt the HX One finctuinality will be refined over the coming months / years.
    The preset scroll and preset name issues are a huge pain and both looming large on IdeaScale (srsly everyone go to idea scale and upvote this shit!) 

In terms of signal chain I always run 100% in front of the amp, with most of my drives (and talk box) in the HX1 loop so I can run HX stuff before or after dirt depending on whether it’s pitch, modulation, delay, etc
  • thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 2328
    thomasw88 said:

This came out just after I ordered a Plethora X3.  I thought about swapping to the HX One anyway, but the Plethora Tuner is great and I was wondering how the HX One compared.

With the Plethora, I set one switch to tap/long press tuner and then the tuner is really easy to engage and big and bright when it does.  I think I'd really miss that going to the HX One, but the HX one has some great stuff in it the Plethora doesn't.

Saying all that, the Plethora only got this functionality recently, previously it was a tripple tap to engage the tuner, so doubt the HX One finctuinality will be refined over the coming months / years.
    I had the plethora X5 for a bit.  Tbh in found the thing unusable in that it didn't keep presets saved just over wrote them whenever you made changes
  • JanahanJanahan Frets: 54
    The preset scroll and preset name issues are a huge pain and both looming large on IdeaScale (srsly everyone go to idea scale and upvote this shit!) 

In terms of signal chain I always run 100% in front of the amp, with most of my drives (and talk box) in the HX1 loop so I can run HX stuff before or after dirt depending on whether it’s pitch, modulation, delay, etc
    I'm getting the HX One and going to use a loop switcher with it. My thinking being that I switch the HX One loop off, scroll and change as needed, and then switch the loop back on. That way not having any changes to unwanted patches taking place as I scroll.

Admittedly, I fully expect that any scrolling will be between songs the majority of the time. Really getting the pedal for the couple of songs we use a drone throughout, and for the looper at home. Then likely one or two other effects for live so hopefully can arrange the few patches I'll need one after each other for relatively easy recall.

For me, it's works out a lot cheaper than my Mood MK1, which I'll likely sell if I can get the sounds I want from the HX One. 

As someone has said earlier on the thread, some pedals are really useful, or useless, depending on the different use cases. At the moment I'm just hoping my theory with the loop switcher works. 

Thanks for all your thoughts @stickyfiddle - I hadn't thought about putting the drive pedals in the HX loop and will give that a try too.
    That sounds like a great way to use it. I'm still overall very happy with it as a unit. Once they fix the switching options it'll be an incredible piece of kit 
  • chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 3968
    @Janahan Guitar Guitar have them on sale for £229.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom