Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

JHS NOTAKLÖN

What's Hot

Comments

• DoctorXDoctorX Frets: 367
    edited December 2023
    Yeah, but that’s in a video produced by JHS. Don’t you think some independent verification is needed before jumping to the whole “sounds identical” conclusion? Not saying they don’t, just that maybe it’s a little early to judge based on one video made by the dudes selling the things.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • pt22pt22 Frets: 274
    DoctorX said:
    Yeah, but that’s in a video produced by JHS. Don’t you think some independent verification is needed before jumping to the whole “sounds identical” conclusion? Not saying they don’t, just that maybe it’s a little early to judge based on one video made by the dudes selling the things.
    I mean, sure, but let’s not kid ourselves. The Klon circuit is well known and documented. There’s no mysticism about it. There are plenty of Klones on the market which already sounds identical to the original. Why should be we skeptical about this one? 

Would you feel the same about a fuzz face clone by another major brand or is it Josh that has you skeptical? 
    These are the folk who made a video about how a Bad Monkey sounds the same as a Klon, so it should come as no surprise that they can make a video about how a klone can do the same. From the limited user experience reported so far it seems there may be a noise issue with these. Pretty good reason for skepticism IMO, but it’s early days so who knows.

As for the Fuzz Face thing, yes I would feel the same about other manufacturers making similar claims. An example would be when Analogman started offering “red dot NKT’s” as an option after running out of NKT275’s, with the marketing spiel that they sounded the same. I bought one. It didn’t sound nearly as good as my NKT275 one to my unsophisticated ears so I get rid.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • pt22pt22 Frets: 274
    DoctorX said:
    These are the folk who made a video about how a Bad Monkey sounds the same as a Klon…
    Did you agree or disagree in that video?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12668
    Ok so it’s built - and was such a lot of fun to do with my son.

It sounds fantastic! Lots of great sounds from this unit - really flexible and dynamic. Very low noise floor (very little hiss) and now it’s built it feels just as substantial as any other pedal.

I would highly recommend, especially as a fun activity to do with a child to enthuse them about electronics - no it’s not ‘proper’ electronics but for a 10 year old it’s brilliant and *fun*. It was fun for daddy too.

Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • I cancelled my order and got a refund, can't be arsed for the wait. My Tumnus sounds like a Klon anyway. I bought a BOSS SD-1 instead

• DoctorX said:
    There are approximately eight million klones out there and they all sound identical to the Klon. Its a trivial piece of analogue electronics with about 35 components. 

I'm genuinely flabbergasted that people seem to be 1) impressed that anyone has built pedals that sound the same as the original and 2) think that there's something unique about the NOTAKLON in that respect. Although the fact that both of those statements appear to be true does explain a lot of the bullshit in the pedal industry. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
    ^maybe, maybe not. But so what? The point I was making was “perhaps people should take marketing videos with a pinch of salt”. This doesn’t strike me as a particularly controversial point to make when the particular klone in question has a previously unseen assembly method compared to the “approximately eight million” other klones on the market, and the user reviews (at the time I made the post you quoted) suggested a possible issue with excessive noise.
  • Fingers657Fingers657 Frets: 657
    I had mail earlier from JHS my NOTAKLON is on its way. =)
    Estimated delivery Monday, January 29 between 9:30 A.M. - 1:30 P.M
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Great fast delivery from the US.
    I just tracked mine and it’s in England and on its was to my local depot.
  • Mine on the way with similar dates! 
    Mine on the way with similar dates! 
    Excellent.
    Are you going to build yours?
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3400
    @Fingers657 @downbytheriver What order number have you got, approximately 
  • Mine on the way with similar dates! 
    Excellent.

Probably - is there a market for the unbuilt? 

Order number 6336
    Excellent.

Order number 6336
    Dunno I bought it for the novelty factor just to keep boxed in my pedal collection.
    My sons won’t be arriving for a month or two so I might let him build it and give me his when it arrives.
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3400
    Excellent.

Order number 6336
    Thanks. I'm around 20k so a little while to wait!
    edited January 29
    My order 6134 was delivered by Ups 30 minutes ago.
    It’s the only pedal I’ve had arrive in bits that’s not broken.
    https://ibb.co/WVLrswg

• Mine arrived today - now I’m not sure what to do with it! I don’t need it on my board (Decibelics Golden Horse does those duties)… I think I’ll just stick it in the cupboard untouched for now. 
  • DDtBDDtB Frets: 60
    edited February 3
    Sounds like they're a bit behind schedule if order numbers 6000-6500 are just arriving.  

Forgot I'd ordered one tbh.. but mine is batch 5 so will be a nice surprise when I forget again and then it turns up!

*edit*... 

Just checked the site and saw they've updated the shipping info, which now looks like this..

BATCH 3, Orders b/t 6800-11000 (approximately), expected to ship FEBRUARY

BATCH 4, Orders b/t 11000-15000 (approximately), expected to ship MARCH

BATCH 5, Orders b/t 15000-20000 (approximately), expected to ship APRIL

BATCH 6, Orders 20000+ (approximately), expected to ship APRIL/MAY

So it's slipped a bit, but waiting is part of the fun I guess!