Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

JHS NOTAKLÖN

What's Hot

Comments

• VoxsupertwinVoxsupertwin Frets: 338
    edited November 2023
    The clones from China, ready built and even cheaper, are as good as all the ‘replicas’’ and even the real thing….
    There’s no ‘snake oil’ magic in this pedal, just ridiculous hype and stupid prices ……
    So come back down to Earth, and you’ll get the sound you desire !

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/115693538753?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=o9I6saMNQrq&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=Djz9JxtySlO&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12678
    Still no reports where these circuit boards are assembled etc….
    Who cares, really? 
    It makes no difference to the “quality” if it’s wave soldered in the US or the Far East. 
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

The clones from China, ready built and even cheaper, are as good as all the ‘replicas’’ and even the real thing….
    There’s no ‘snake oil’ magic in this pedal, just ridiculous hype and stupid prices ……

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/115693538753?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=o9I6saMNQrq&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=Djz9JxtySlO&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY
    That’s a nice clone for the money. But it doesn’t have the Shamrock mod… so it’s not quite the same.
    But yes you can find cheaper clones of the Klon. I wouldn’t piss on anyone else’s chips as to whether they offer better value for money or not. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11916

I have one of these.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • impmann said:
    Still no reports where these circuit boards are assembled etc….
    Who cares, really? 
    It makes no difference to the “quality” if it’s wave soldered in the US or the Far East. 
    Purely because JHS say their pedals are built in USA, and charge USA built prices normally.

It doesn’t matter to me as I don’t personally gel with JHS pedals and their style of marketing, but they should at least confirm. 
  • @Musicman20 - given that their 3 series pedals are still US-made at ~£99 rrp, I suspect these probably are too. Then again, I really wouldn’t be bothered of the origin - it’s still a fair price for a neat product.
    @Musicman20 - given that their 3 series pedals are still US-made at ~£99 rrp, I suspect these probably are too. Then again, I really wouldn’t be bothered of the origin - it’s still a fair price for a neat product.
    This.

I don't think anyone can moan about the 3-series stuff (although knowing this forum... ;) ). Great sounding and good prices, irrespective of where its made.

• mrkbmrkb Frets: 6920
    Theyve sold 12,000 already! producing 20,000 in total - impressive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tLRMlS37Es
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • impmann said:
    @Musicman20 - given that their 3 series pedals are still US-made at ~£99 rrp, I suspect these probably are too. Then again, I really wouldn’t be bothered of the origin - it’s still a fair price for a neat product.
    This.

I don't think anyone can moan about the 3-series stuff (although knowing this forum... ;) ). Great sounding and good prices, irrespective of where its made.
    Personally, I'd say they are generic sounding pedals. I don't think anything JHS has made has made me think 'wow I need that'. 

That, combined with ahem, the past ethics of the company, well, it leaves a sour taste.

Don't get me wrong, I buy into pedals, but not JHS. There are so many other brands making extremely original and well engineered pedals, and that includes the UK like Thorpyfx and Stone Deaf. 

I can see the fun aspect of building it for 20 mins. But, I'm happy with my EHX Soul Food for £70 or whatever I paid. I'm not a big Klon guy...

• Mmm - was just about to get it for DS then saw the shipping....I think it'll be deferred to a cheaper soldering project in a couple of years... Not that shipping is JHS' fault, mind.
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6920
    Personally, I'd say they are generic sounding pedals. I don't think anything JHS has made has made me think 'wow I need that'. 

That, combined with ahem, the past ethics of the company, well, it leaves a sour taste.

Don't get me wrong, I buy into pedals, but not JHS. There are so many other brands making extremely original and well engineered pedals, and that includes the UK like Thorpyfx and Stone Deaf. 

I can see the fun aspect of building it for 20 mins. But, I'm happy with my EHX Soul Food for £70 or whatever I paid. I'm not a big Klon guy...

I like your thoughts, EHX are a beacon of great employee relation ethics, and of course pedal quality.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    11reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    impmann said:
    This.

Ethics? If you are talking about the Church thing that gets brought up, that myth was debunked a long time ago. 

If its about "copying designs"... well, I'd turn that around and say that *every* 'booteek' pedal builder has borrowed designs, and some even started off doing blatant copies before going their own way... 

As for EHX... erm, ethics? Yeah... if you think they are ethical, you crack on mate. ;) 

Each to their own and all that. As I said above this forum can always find ways of moaning about stuff...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2337
    edited November 2023
    mrkb said:

I like your thoughts, EHX are a beacon of great employee relation ethics, and of course pedal quality.
    I wasn’t aware of the recent issues with EHX until, well, they happened, or the past problems. 

I personally have never had a QC issue with EHX pedals, and they have been gigged a fair bit. 

The pedals themselves? EHX at least innovate, constantly.

EDIT - JHS did that recent collaboration with EHX, which caused more internet uproar over the high prices on the big box version. That doesn't reflect too well on JHS .

Lizard Queen | Octave Fuzz - Electro-Harmonix (ehx.com)

Regardless, similar Klon clones are £30-£40 on places likes EBay and Amazon. 
  • impmann said:
    impmann said:
    This.

Ethics? If you are talking about the Church thing that gets brought up, that myth was debunked a long time ago. 

If its about "copying designs"... well, I'd turn that around and say that *every* 'booteek' pedal builder has borrowed designs, and some even started off doing blatant copies before going their own way... 

As for EHX... erm, ethics? Yeah... if you think they are ethical, you crack on mate. ;) 

Each to their own and all that. As I said above this forum can always find ways of moaning about stuff...

See above re EHX. That was just an example of cheap Klon clones. Many more exist. 

I don’t think the past ‘issue’ was resolved, personally, just swept under the rug and replaced with infomercials. 

It’s a view point - might come across as a moan, but that’s how I view them I’m afraid. Forums allow us to express opinions. 
  • Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2406
    Kind of ironic that JHS now find themselves in the same situation with these that Bill was in with the original Klon....massive demand, waitlists and resellers...

https://reverb.com/item/76115067-jhs-notaklon-2023-white?utm_source=rev-ios-app&utm_medium=ios-share&utm_campaign=listing&utm_content=76115067

Can't believe they didn't see this coming.....or did they? 
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11916
    Strat54 said:
    Kind of ironic that JHS now find themselves in the same situation with these that Bill was in with the original Klon....massive demand, waitlists and resellers...

https://reverb.com/item/76115067-jhs-notaklon-2023-white?utm_source=rev-ios-app&utm_medium=ios-share&utm_campaign=listing&utm_content=76115067

They could have seen it coming but from a business perspective they can't really gamble producing 20,000 units hoping it will sell out.  You have to pick a number and it seems 3800 is the one they came to which is still quite a lot for a pedal that almost everyone already have one of. 
  • Strat54 said:

The drama/internet coverage is perfect marketing for a modern online company. 

Whoever pays over the odds for a $99 pedal is just, to be polite, stupid. 
  • Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2406
    Reminds me of all that FOMO watch nonsense when Swatch made a cheap Seamaster in collab with Omega lol. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8825
    tFB Trader
    mrkb said:
    Do they ship from Uk, or will we need to allow for import and vat charges?

Ah.... so expect VAT on top as well?

That’s ridiculous. I can get a guitar body sized box to the States for a few pounds more than this.
  • Jetsam1Jetsam1 Frets: 609
    Capitalist Company in Marketing Action Shocker!!!!