Gibson Garage, London...

What's Hot

Comments

• springheadspringhead Frets: 1602
    I could pop in during my lunch break on Monday, it’s just round the corner from work. Will I win a T shirt? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13957
    I liked the video and like the look of the place. Not really sure of the point of it though. It looks like all those places like souvenir/gift shops you visit when on holiday in a US city, that you walk round for 10 minutes then leave without buying anything. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • elstoofelstoof Frets: 2513
    They’ve had that site for years to give loaners to artists haven’t they? The old Andertons video where they picked tops for the Danish Pete “sig” was in there. Might as well turn it into a shop to sell some merch and a guitar or two I guess. I wonder how the authorised dealers feel about it, the situation is a bit like when Apple started their own retail outlets. There’s not really anywhere else in London to buy a new Gibson at least, apart from Guitar Guitar Camden
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14335
    tFB Trader
    elstoof said:
    They’ve had that site for years to give loaners to artists haven’t they? The old Andertons video where they picked tops for the Danish Pete “sig” was in there. Might as well turn it into a shop to sell some merch and a guitar or two I guess. I wonder how the authorised dealers feel about it, the situation is a bit like when Apple started their own retail outlets. There’s not really anywhere else in London to buy a new Gibson at least, apart from Guitar Guitar Camden
    Can't recall the name, but there is a small independent on Denmark St (bottom end) - But usual Denmark St in that you can't swing a cat in there - Not sure if they sell Custom Shop as well as 'regular' models - So doesn't look as enticing

However I bet the Gibson Shop won't want part exchanges  - Especially not Gibson orientated models - As I mentioned earlier, ref mail order, they don't appear to offer individual pics and weights, so only generic 'factory web site' info - Not sure what 'set-up options they will offer on mail order - So the likes of Peach and Andertons etc will still look a better prospect for many especially with a more personal service
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 995
    edited February 24
    I’ll call in when I’m next in Central London. A couple of my non-guitarist mates might even enjoy it.

Hopefully I can get a couple packs of their ‘Vintage Reissue Electric Guitar Stings’ : https://www.gibson.com/en-US/Product/SEG-HVR/SEG-HVR9 Having trouble finding them in stock, in UK shops

P.S. I haven’t watched the video yet.
  • Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3430
    After reading the comments here I was surprised to find the video entirely ok, Agnesi not hugely over the top and the brothers Hawkins fairly restrained. I think the shop looks great and would definitely visit; might even stretch to a t-shirt with that cool 60s Gibson acoustic logo, as long as it was less than £35 :) 

I doubt I’d buy a guitar there, I imagine they’re full retail and a bit, but it’s good they have the techs onsite and the ability to engrave TRCs etc, should make it an enjoyable experience.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • springheadspringhead Frets: 1602
    elstoof said:
    Yep Sixty Sixty Sounds in Denmark St are a Gibson distributor. They’re good, relatively new and not part of the iffy Denmark St reputation. About 5-10 mins walk from them to the Gibson Garage. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I can’t say I’ve ever seen much new stock in there though
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10270
    Are those the best two people they could come up with ??
    I guess all the English greats were to busy or dead.
    Nice to see a few of my Epiphones on display and my latest sparkly electric blue Tommy Thayer Les Paul hanging on the wall.
    The Darkness are awesome. What's with the disrespect? 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6908
    elstoof said:
    Yep Sixty Sixty Sounds in Denmark St are a Gibson distributor. They’re good, relatively new and not part of the iffy Denmark St reputation. About 5-10 mins walk from them to the Gibson Garage. 
    Apart for enabling the Hendrix Monterey Strat farce…..
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
    duotone said:

Hopefully I can get a couple packs of their ‘Vintage Reissue Electric Guitar Stings’ : https://www.gibson.com/en-US/Product/SEG-HVR/SEG-HVR9 Having trouble finding them in stock, in UK shops
    I usually buy online from Gear 4 Music or Guitar Guitar 
  • BigsbyBigsby Frets: 2962
    elstoof said:
     I wonder how the authorised dealers feel about it, the situation is a bit like when Apple started their own retail outlets. There’s not really anywhere else in London to buy a new Gibson at least, apart from Guitar Guitar Camden
    Ten years ago I was looking to buy a new Gibson (SG) and discovered there was only Macari's in central London, otherwise it was a train out of town to one of the big online dealers. One of the other Denmark street stores had a couple of old/new SGs that were grey imports, and said they were no longer obtaining them so wouldn't have the current models. A striking contrast to Fender...

Since then, Macari's has closed, but we've gained GuitarGuitar in Camden, which is reasonably central. I guess this 'garage' will be useful for anyone who still prefers to 'try before you buy' over buying online. But ten years and eight Gibsons later, I'm really off the brand and unlikely to ever buy another one, or visit their garage. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Fishboy7Fishboy7 Frets: 2214
    I just went down there, the queue was massive though so didn't bother joining. 

Looks pretty cool though. Might try again when it's been open a few weeks. 
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 995
    edited February 24
    elstoof said:
    duotone said:

I usually buy online from Gear 4 Music or Guitar Guitar 
    Cheers @elstoof ;;;

Just checked & unfortunately no 10-46 guage in stock at GuitarGuitar: https://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/product/210129366410025--gibson-vintage-reissue-electric-guitar-strings-light-10-46

But Gear4Music has some: https://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/Gibson-Vintage-Reissue-Historic-Era-Guitar-Strings-Light-10-46/32EQ

I ordered some strings & a guitar stand from DV247 a few weeks ago & it arrived yesterday, so I'm good for strings now, but will check Gear4Music in future. Thanks.

Btw have you tried these?: 
    https://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/Gibson-Les-Paul-Premium-Light-Electric-Guitar-Strings-10-46/3EX0
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6908
    Fishboy7 said:

How old did the clientele look?
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • SyncSync Frets: 289
    edited February 24
    Meh, was expecting the sky to fall and world to end when I watched the vid but thought it was enjoyable.

This shop is just a marketing base, showcase & storyboard for Gibson hence the conveyor belt etc. 

I don't think it even intends to worry about sales from here as long as it drives traffic through to the authorised dealer network who will often have better pricing and a choice of exact model (weight, top etc). Gibson still win and improve market positioning. 

It doesn't have to make money, Gibson could happily underwrite costs for a few years. 

Single Brand 'Flagship Experience Stores' are one of the most effective marketing techniques for tangible goods type of product space during high competition. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7795
    Gibsons are cool guitars but their designs are so standard now that a shop full of SG,LP,335,V (2xHB set mahogany neck guitars) is pretty boring. I find far more interest in tweaked classics or more varied designs like the whole Eastman range.

Og the big names I'd prefer a PRS flagship store, even just for a visit. I find their high end stuff more interesting than aged Strats or LPs
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    duotone said:
    I haven’t, they seem to be pretty much the same as regular ones but silk wrapped ends?
  • SyncSync Frets: 289
    Og the big names I'd prefer a PRS flagship store, even just for a visit. I find their high end stuff more interesting than aged Strats or LPs
    100% PRS would open up on Harley Street
    12reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Fishboy7Fishboy7 Frets: 2214
    mrkb said:
    Fishboy7 said:

How old did the clientele look?
    Mostly middle aged men I guess, plus a few wives / girlfriends. 

The queue was monstrous though.