Gibson Garage, London...

What's Hot

Comments

• prowlaprowla Frets: 4942
    edited February 24
    Anyone going?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bE1bcSe2caM

And don't be sneaking any gaffer tape in there if you do!

I found that a really enjoyable watch; they've done a good job.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23048
    mrkb said:
    Fishboy7 said:
    I just went down there, the queue was massive though so didn't bother joining. 

Looks pretty cool though. Might try again when it's been open a few weeks. 
    How old did the clientele look?
    I'm guessing most of them had those little folding stools or seat-sticks so they wouldn't have to stand too long...

It looked impressive - well sort of - in the video as I fast-forwarded through it last night, but I was thinking it's nice when it's empty like this, but what'll it be like when it's rammed with people?

I'm not saying I'm totally against the concept, fair play to them, I hope it's a success, but it just doesn't appeal to me.  As @brooom mentioned earlier, it's reminiscent of the M&M's and Lego stores in Leicester Square, somehow - it looks like the sort of place where people will go and queue outside "because that's what you do when you go to London", not because you actually want to go in and buy something.  They'll probably do good business in souvenir stuff like mugs and keyrings.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Incidentally, I guess the initial attention-grab has really worked - look how many posts there are on this thread this morning.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • elstoofelstoof Frets: 2513
    Philly_Q said:

reminiscent of the M&M's and Lego stores in Leicester Square, somehow - it looks like the sort of place where people will go and queue outside "because that's what you do when you go to London", not because you actually want to go in and buy something.
    I wouldn’t expect it in that part of Fitzrovia, it’s not really touristy around there
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    elstoof said:
    Philly_Q said:

reminiscent of the M&M's and Lego stores in Leicester Square, somehow - it looks like the sort of place where people will go and queue outside "because that's what you do when you go to London", not because you actually want to go in and buy something.
    I wouldn’t expect it in that part of Fitzrovia, it’s not really touristy around there
    I meant more that it looks like that kind of place, I'm not expecting it to actually become a tourist Mecca!  Or at least, not on the Lego and M&M's scale.

I don't know the actual street, but I know some of the streets nearby and you're right, it does get much quieter as soon as you're a few hundred yards from Oxford Street - when I visited W1 more often than I do now, I used to use those streets as shortcuts to avoid the crowds.  I'm sure they'd have loved a Leicester Square location if they could have afforded it.  Maybe it'll go very quiet after the initial buzz dies down.

Actually if they'd gone to Denmark Street it might have revitalised it a little.
  • KurtisKurtis Frets: 732
    mrkb said:
    elstoof said:
    They’ve had that site for years to give loaners to artists haven’t they? The old Andertons video where they picked tops for the Danish Pete “sig” was in there. Might as well turn it into a shop to sell some merch and a guitar or two I guess. I wonder how the authorised dealers feel about it, the situation is a bit like when Apple started their own retail outlets. There’s not really anywhere else in London to buy a new Gibson at least, apart from Guitar Guitar Camden
    Yep Sixty Sixty Sounds in Denmark St are a Gibson distributor. They’re good, relatively new and not part of the iffy Denmark St reputation. About 5-10 mins walk from them to the Gibson Garage. 
    Apart for enabling the Hendrix Monterey Strat farce…..
    Dennis neilson. 
  • elstoofelstoof Frets: 2513
    Philly_Q said:
    elstoof said:
    Philly_Q said:

I meant more that it looks like that kind of place, I'm not expecting it to actually become a tourist Mecca!  Or at least, not on the Lego and M&M's scale.
    I was expecting it to look like the Hard Rock Vault on Piccadilly, pleasantly surprised it’s turned out a lot better
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4869
    Sync said:
    Og the big names I'd prefer a PRS flagship store, even just for a visit. I find their high end stuff more interesting than aged Strats or LPs
    100% PRS would open up on Harley Street
    Quote of the year.... :)

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6881
    I'll try and pop in on the weekend.. I have beef with how they have said the V's are now flying.. no one pictures a V flying upright like that.. unbelievable.. 
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11469
    I might pop in during the week sometime when I'm in the Central London office.
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3253
    mrkb said:
    Old enough to purchase £400 cardigans: 
    4reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10270
    elstoof said:
    They’ve had that site for years to give loaners to artists haven’t they? The old Andertons video where they picked tops for the Danish Pete “sig” was in there. Might as well turn it into a shop to sell some merch and a guitar or two I guess. I wonder how the authorised dealers feel about it, the situation is a bit like when Apple started their own retail outlets. There’s not really anywhere else in London to buy a new Gibson at least, apart from Guitar Guitar Camden
    Yep Sixty Sixty Sounds in Denmark St are a Gibson distributor. They’re good, relatively new and not part of the iffy Denmark St reputation. About 5-10 mins walk from them to the Gibson Garage. 
    My only interaction with that shop is when someone bought a 90's Les Paul from me on eBay, then told me they didn't want it almost instantly, and then when I cancelled the listing, losing the final value fee offer they told me, oh BTW I own Sixty Six Sounds, have a look at our site! What?? 
    0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10270
    skunkwerx said:
    I'll try and pop in on the weekend.. I have beef with how they have said the V's are now flying.. no one pictures a V flying upright like that.. unbelievable.. 
    What if they're flying upwards? 
  • RoundwoundRoundwound Frets: 272
    Hard to watch this and not think Les Pauls are still cool!  https://www.instagram.com/reel/C3vvYaES-rF/?igsh=c3RhaHE5eHc1MzBh
  • I was there a week or so ago. Nice purple Flying V whirring around. Then I saw the vid with the bloody Darkness and it gave me full on Spinal Tap vibes. Don’t think I’m a Gibbo guy. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28657
    Hard to watch this and not think Les Pauls are still cool!  https://www.instagram.com/reel/C3vvYaES-rF/?igsh=c3RhaHE5eHc1MzBh
    An old fat bloke wearing a hat with a wig attached to it is not, I'd suggest, the epitome of modern cool.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12415
    Sporky said:
    An old fat bloke wearing a hat with a wig attached to it is not, I'd suggest, the epitome of modern cool.
    Well that’s spoiled the magic.  
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 11954
    mrkb said:
    Fuck my tall hat!!!!
    2reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • trevAtrevA Frets: 42
    mrkb said:
    Well that pretty much sums it up. They'll buy the fancy beige cardigan to go with their one big slipper and tartan blanket. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • and made in China. =)
    4reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom