Gibson Garage, London...

What's Hot

Comments

• OffsetOffset Frets: 11943
    mrkb said:
    How old did the clientele look?
    Old enough to purchase £400 cardigans: 
    Mental. If I saw that in a charity shop for 50p I'd be amazed if anyone bought it. Still not sure 100% if it's a parody or not. Is it? 
    It's a laydeez garment.  Trying to imagine Mrs O's reaction if I bought her one... and then told her the price to rub salt in the wound...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • springheadspringhead Frets: 1602
    mrkb said:
    elstoof said:
    They’ve had that site for years to give loaners to artists haven’t they? The old Andertons video where they picked tops for the Danish Pete “sig” was in there. Might as well turn it into a shop to sell some merch and a guitar or two I guess. I wonder how the authorised dealers feel about it, the situation is a bit like when Apple started their own retail outlets. There’s not really anywhere else in London to buy a new Gibson at least, apart from Guitar Guitar Camden
    Yep Sixty Sixty Sounds in Denmark St are a Gibson distributor. They’re good, relatively new and not part of the iffy Denmark St reputation. About 5-10 mins walk from them to the Gibson Garage. 
    Apart for enabling the Hendrix Monterey Strat farce…..
    Their reputation went through the floor over that. 
    It was inadvertent rather than deliberate though wasn’t it? They’re not music ground. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SupportactSupportact Frets: 980
    Offset said:
    mrkb said:
    Mental. If I saw that in a charity shop for 50p I'd be amazed if anyone bought it. Still not sure 100% if it's a parody or not. Is it? 
    It's a laydeez garment.  Trying to imagine Mrs O's reaction if I bought her one... and then told her the price to rub salt in the wound...
    Yeah if you do that I'd keep the receipt just in case. 
  • mrkb said:
    elstoof said:
    They’ve had that site for years to give loaners to artists haven’t they? The old Andertons video where they picked tops for the Danish Pete “sig” was in there. Might as well turn it into a shop to sell some merch and a guitar or two I guess. I wonder how the authorised dealers feel about it, the situation is a bit like when Apple started their own retail outlets. There’s not really anywhere else in London to buy a new Gibson at least, apart from Guitar Guitar Camden
    Yep Sixty Sixty Sounds in Denmark St are a Gibson distributor. They’re good, relatively new and not part of the iffy Denmark St reputation. About 5-10 mins walk from them to the Gibson Garage. 
    Apart for enabling the Hendrix Monterey Strat farce…..
    Their reputation went through the floor over that. 
    It was inadvertent rather than deliberate though wasn’t it? They’re not music ground. 
    That Im unsure on, but it stank from the first instant. Paul David was involved too.
     Quite a few shops/dealers were offered the the chance to authenticate it, but it was a well known fake thats done the rounds for years so the only shop that would touch it, was the upstarts who appeared just before, with massive funding.
     What are the chances? At worst, someone naïve Id not trust to buy from. At worst...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2331
    DDtB said:
    Hard to watch this and not think Les Pauls are still cool!  https://www.instagram.com/reel/C3vvYaES-rF/?igsh=c3RhaHE5eHc1MzBh
    Slash is not cool. He never was. 

You're in the minority there matey.  From where I sit, that comment wins the award for being the most incorrect thing posted on the internet today.
    When I was growing up, and got into heavier music / guitar music, I didn’t mind GNR and I understood their place in rock history.

However, the typical ‘rock’ biker guy, daft hat, smoking playing solos just is a big no for me, and always has been. Tacky. 

Sonic Youth, now they are all cool. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 11943
    'The Most Dangerous Band In The World'.  Yeah...
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27657
    Philly_Q said:

it's reminiscent of the M&M's and Lego stores in Leicester Square, somehow - it looks like the sort of place where people will go and queue outside "because that's what you do when you go to London", not because you actually want to go in and buy something.  T
    That sounds like a decent afternoon's outing.
    :+1:

Hopefully, there'll be a sensibly long queue (otherwise it won't really be worth the excursion), and preferably raining.

Spend an hour or three queuing.  Get to the front, then bugger off and do something else.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6908
    TTony said:
    Philly_Q said:

it's reminiscent of the M&M's and Lego stores in Leicester Square, somehow - it looks like the sort of place where people will go and queue outside "because that's what you do when you go to London", not because you actually want to go in and buy something.  T
    That sounds like a decent afternoon's outing.
    :+1:

Hopefully, there'll be a sensibly long queue (otherwise it won't really be worth the excursion), and preferably raining.

Spend an hour or three queuing.  Get to the front, then bugger off and do something else.
    Agreed. You need to “queue authentic” to be a true Gibson aficionado.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BigsbyBigsby Frets: 2962
    Offset said:
    'The Most Dangerous Band In The World'.  Yeah...
    Could just be a dodgy earth...
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8794
    Reckon I'll go for a decent boozy lunch first.  Raise the reckless endangerment stakes...
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Mike58Mike58 Frets: 162
    If I visit London I will go . Why wouldn’t you, it’s free, and has lots of nice guitars.
    or just walk past it with an air of distain …
    nope.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Josh_CoskuJosh_Cosku Frets: 181
    I think it is a really good tourist attraction, they are planning to sell loads of t-shirts and picks to tourists who are visiting London. 

At the same time, it might be a good place to try a few very expensive murphy labs unless it is not super busy all the time. 
    I think it is a really good tourist attraction, they are planning to sell loads of t-shirts and picks to tourists who are visiting London. 

At the same time, it might be a good place to try a few very expensive murphy labs unless it is not super busy all the time. 
    If the finish falls off while you are trying them out, are you obligated to buy ?
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28650
    Yes.

That's how they get you. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8794
    Offset said:
    mrkb said:
    Bugger.  
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    JerkMoans said:
    Offset said:
    mrkb said:
    Bugger.  
    Did you buy mail order? If so you can send it back within 14 days ;)
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • blueskunkblueskunk Frets: 2892
    Justin Hawkins rode there, I believe. 
  • blueskunk said:
    Justin Hawkins rode there, I believe. 
    Not again
  • RedFalconRedFalcon Frets: 175
    I went over the weekend - lots of people - didn't have to queue long - was a really good vibe overall - staff handled the opening really well. Mark Agnesi was there to make sure the brand experience was Authentic (I joke). 

It's a well designed store - you got Gibson on the shop floor with a specific custom shop and acoustic sections - downstairs you have Epiphone and in the corner you have a retro room with Kramers on the wall - there is also a little stage - so I'm expecting events/clinics.  

There is a range of product - of course Clothing and apparel / small items that will probably attract Tourist purchases. 
    I mean I bought one because it looks cool - got a gift bag of freebies too.     

Overall I'm happy that there is another guitar store opening in central London. I actually hope it paves way for brands like Fender, PRS to have their own boutiques in London. I like this new era of Guitar brands gamble on the "Apple Store model" and what not. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28650
    To be fair, it looks nicely done, and far more welcoming than most guitar shops. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom