Line 6 Helix

What's Hot

Comments

• rossyamaharossyamaha Frets: 2462
    Sounds pretty awesome to me - not a bad one in there.

...although I can't help feeling that these videos are as much to show off Sean Halley's guitar collection as they are to demonstrate the Helix ;)
    I know right! He's as bad as Pete Thorn. However, how much of a guitar ninja is Sean!?

I play guitar and take photos of stuff. I also like beans on toast.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17703
    tFB Trader
    These more recent demos have had some superb sounding clips in them. 

Some very tidy playing on display as well.
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26847
    These more recent demos have had some superb sounding clips in them. 

Some very tidy playing on display as well.
    Not only that, but the latest one answers the "Ah, but can it do mid-gain tones?" question quite convincingly.
    <space for hire>
  • FortheloveofguitarFortheloveofguitar Frets: 4291
    edited August 2015
    rossyamaha;725225" said:
    Heads up folks. More of tha toanz!  
    Sounds great. Big fan of his playing too
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33857
    Am I right in thinking the Helix will not switch amp channels on a hardware amplifier via relays?

• Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    octatonic said:
    Am I right in thinking the Helix will not switch amp channels on a hardware amplifier via relays?

No mate. It has a control output for it, as well as a CV output too.
    octatonic said:

It will indeed. It has 2 relays to that exact thing.

And when you look at it from the back, it looks like a big doge smile:

kawaii!!!
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33857
    Drew_fx said:
    octatonic said:

Right, so Ext Amp and CV are both switching relays?
    Any idea if they are stereo switching relays or mono?
    Really not a fan of the 'simple crunch' patch. I hope not all the high-gain tones are as fuzzy as that!
    octatonic said:
    Drew_fx said:
    octatonic said:

Did a bit of digging to confirm. Here is the official blurb on that bit...

As a controller, though, the Helix surpasses the ability of the HD500 and 500X by a lot. In addition to being able to assign different MIDI commands to the footswitches, you also have the ability to control the TRS relay jack and the CV jack. Additionally you can assign up to 6 quick commands to each preset that are sent as soon as you load the preset. So you could have it so that when you load a preset, you could automatically change channels on your amp, turn your amp reverb off, and change presets on a MIDI-controlled pedal.

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    octatonic said:

Did a bit of digging to confirm. Here is the official blurb on that bit...

As a controller, though, the Helix surpasses the ability of the HD500 and 500X by a lot. In addition to being able to assign different MIDI commands to the footswitches, you also have the ability to control the TRS relay jack and the CV jack. Additionally you can assign up to 6 quick commands to each preset that are sent as soon as you load the preset. So you could have it so that when you load a preset, you could automatically change channels on your amp, turn your amp reverb off, and change presets on a MIDI-controlled pedal.

So...based on that, the TRS relay jack would be two switches and the CV jack will be one, so that's three potential relay outputs?
    <space for hire>
    So...based on that, the TRS relay jack would be two switches and the CV jack will be one, so that's three potential relay outputs?

Thats right. The CV can be controlled via expression pedal, one of the footswitches set to toggle or as a default within a preset.

So I'll give an example of how I would use the switching.

Preset 1 - Lonestar clean channel with compressor and reverb.

Preset 2 - Lonestar dirty channel with nothing.

Preset 3 - Lonestar dirty channel with drive pedal, delay and reverb and solo volume switched on and the CV assigned to the expression pedal controlling my Timeline delay volume (bit like Andy Timmons would use it).

This is all without getting to the possibilities of using Helix as purely an fx unit with 2 amp rigs and 7 cable method with it being able to switch channels/ reverb on each amp. My needs are actually quite basic compared to what this thing can do.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Thanks @rossyamaha - one other question: can you set the relays to momentary action as well as latching?
    <space for hire>
    Thanks @rossyamaha - one other question: can you set the relays to momentary action as well as latching?

Really good question that I'm not sure. I know it can be assigned to a footswitch. I'll find out. Are you thinking for tap tempo?

Really good question that I'm not sure. I know it can be assigned to a footswitch. I'll find out. Are you thinking for tap tempo?
    Nope - just a hypothetical, really. My Soldano Decatone uses momentary switches for channel changes. I probably wouldn't use the Helix with the Decatone, but it'd be good to know :)
    <space for hire>

The man from Del Monte (also know as Paul Hindmarsh) says yes! CV can be assigned to a footswitch to be momentary.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    The more I read up and find out on this the more it's pissing me off! Like many I've spent years building and tweaking my rig. I'm at a point now where I am happy. Like really happy. I have everything I need and more. Then this bloody beautiful thing comes along. One of these, a USA Tyler Variax (I am still a snob) and an L3t could replace my entire rig and mean only one trip into the gig. Oh, and loads of money left over for drugs and hookers from selling all my cork sniffing gear.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    I just had a band practice. If I only used this for midi switching and effects, it would still simplify everything for me.

Singing + switching effects + playing guitar .... probably the hardest thing I've attempted!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10340
    Drew_fx said:
    Singing + switching effects + playing guitar .... probably the hardest thing I've attempted!
    I couldn't agree more, especially when a combination of pedal switching is needed between sections
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.