The H9 thread

What's Hot
TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7421
OK so I have briefly dabbled with my pair of H9s and am utterly blown away. So much power and flexibility and they sound wonderful. The iOS app is blindingly good too.

Now it's time to come out of honeymoon period and put them to practical use. As there is so much flexibility here I'd love to share the ways people are using them.

I have one T1M aux switcher which adds 3 buttons, think I'll add a 2nd one so I have switching options on both.

What are other people doing for control? Anyone got midi driving one or more? I've looked at some demos of Disaster Area switchers - they look bally nifty too.

I've grabbed the presets files via the Eventide forum (you sign up for access to a dropbox link - think they are community created) but not used them yet.

Let's see/hear/hear about your setups :-)

Red ones are better. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    I'd advocate midi as you can sync the tempos - I've not got an H9.
    A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
  • jamiexsilverjamiexsilver Frets: 404
    edited December 2015
    I've got a midi moose controlling program changes and a aux switch for tap tempo/hot switch/repeats. That way suits me.

Here's a pic of my board.

• I've been looking into this as well, though I'd need to control an H9 and 2 large Strymons. Already have one Strymon multiswitch.
  • The midi moose will control the strymons as well as the h9,
  • @jamiexsilver Can you use it to scroll between algos/presets on individual pedals and program multi-pedal presets with the Midi Moose?
    edited December 2015
    Sort of, it only sends program changes and only on one channel. So in theory you could use it like that. From what I remember from my timeline it was a massive pain to program, the eventides were way easier as you could assign program change info to any preset you wanted. I couldn't get my head round the timelines midi that's partly why I sold it.
  • rsvmarkrsvmark Frets: 1383
    I'm working up a preset list which relates to all songs in the set. This will be downloaded into the pedal pre gig. I plan to use an Expression pedal hooked in as well with a further foots witch so I can scroll up and down between presets. However, I ain't that good at working stuff out so will be following the thread with interest
    An official Foo liked guitarist since 2024
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30916
    rsvmark said:
    I'm working up a preset list which relates to all songs in the set. This will be downloaded into the pedal pre gig. I plan to use an Expression pedal hooked in as well with a further foots witch so I can scroll up and down between presets. However, I ain't that good at working stuff out so will be following the thread with interest
    So, you're writing a spreadsheet when on holiday......I'll tell Rob on you.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7421
    As of tomorrow I'll have a 3-button aux switch attached to each unit.

On one of them I might set a switch to activate the tuner. I know that the switches on an aux pedal can control just about any switch parameter - not sure if the ones on the unit itself are re-assignable, will check that out. 

I imagine a midi setup is way more powerful - that'd be a whole other leap for me... baby steps... 
    Red ones are better. 
  • They way I use mine is with presets selected via MIDI sent from my G2. I love it!

R.
    G2 would be lovely - can't justify the expense really though.

I've got them all rigged up in the loop so that Pre/Post per patch is possible :

By the way the Digitech aux switch arrived in less than 24h from Amazon, cost £21 and came with a TRS cable. Hard to fault it at all.

2 things I have found out today:

1) the Pre/Post routing thing is utterly genius. Means you can put a Phaser in front a la Eddie, or put a reverb or rotary in the loop for maximum clarity, all selectable by patch. Bloody genius.

2) I can get very close to the (brilliant)sound of the Marshall's Low input by have a pre- patch on the H9 that is the Comp/EQ algorithm with lots of output gain reduction and a subtle EQ tweak to put the high end back. It's slightly more background noise than just using the low input but it means that a proper Crunch/Clean button might be possible :-)  
    Red ones are better. 
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited December 2015
    In case of use to anyone (it is to me) :

From the manual

[CLK IN] – MIDI Input Clock Enable (ON, OFF)

Press the HOTKNOB button to select. Turn the Knob to set MIDI Clock Receive ON or OFF. If ON, MIDI Clock is used as a Tempo source.

[CLK.OUT] – MIDI Output Clock Enable (ON, OFF)

Press the HOTKNOB button to select. Turn the Knob to set MIDI Clock Transmit ON or OFF. If ON, the H9 will transmit its tempo as a MIDI Clock.

So I can set the upstream H9 to pass its Tap Tempo to the downstream one. Nice.

Red ones are better. 
  • I'm in the process of changing my power supply on my board, so haven't really had a chance to get back to using the H9s, but will add into this thread once I'm back up and running. The pre-post thing is excellent for sure.
  • @TimmyO I was going to get one of the Digitech aux switches for my H9 Max. In order to bank up and down through your presets, is it simply a case of plugging it in via the PRS cable and off you go, or do you need to programme that into the H9? Also, doesn't look like it runs on a PSU: does it run on a 9V battery?

edited December 2015
    The aux switchers don't need any power to them. They do need programming to tell the h9 what you want the switches to do, but that is simple, just use the h9 control app there's a setting I think it's called 'aux switch mapping' and you can configure it from there.

I have a midi moose chaning the presets and a aux switch for tap tempo, hot switch and to bypass the pedal that means I don't have to touch the h9 itself for anything so it's right at the back of my board.

@TimmyO I was going to get one of the Digitech aux switches for my H9 Max. In order to bank up and down through your presets, is it simply a case of plugging it in via the PRS cable and off you go, or do you need to programme that into the H9? Also, doesn't look like it runs on a PSU: does it run on a 9V battery?

As it's just 3 switches (no LEDs or display or fancy logic inside like Disaster Area ones have) it doesn't need power.

To make it work you need to do 2 things:
    • Plug in the cable to switch and pedal
    • Tell the pedal what you want the 3 buttons to do
    To do that you just tap 'pedal' in the H9 control app and there's a menu option for Aux switch functions. There are lots of functions to choose from - pick the 3 you need. You can even choose whether the preset-up button actually activates the patch or not (some folk need to be able to scroll to the next one before they need it) 
    Up, Down and Hotswitch are what I think I'll start with and see how I go 
    Red ones are better. 

I have a midi moose chaning the presets and a aux switch for tap tempo, hot switch and to bypass the pedal that means I don't have to touch the h9 itself for anything so it's right at the back of my board.
    Sounds like a nifty setup
    Red ones are better. 
    edited December 2015
    TimmyO;916687" said:
    jamiexsilver said:

Sounds like a nifty setup

The moose easiest thing in the world to work and makes the H9 so much better to use for live use, any button on it can be used to call up any of the 99 presets in any order. If you've got a H9 I recommend you check the moose out.
    Basically you have instant access to 5 presets with one click of a button in bank one alone.

Plus if you have 2 H9's (like I intend to) it can call up presets on both of the h9s with one stomp.
  • rsvmarkrsvmark Frets: 1383
    So I have just picked up a Boss FV500L and have hooked it into my H9 to use as an expression pedal. It works fine off the bat which is great so I have started experimenting with set ups and assigning it to different and multiple parameters. 

Here the rub- it's back to front! In the heel down position this equates to max parameter values whereas toe down is zero position. As such it's a bit counter intuitive. I have read the manual and can't find anything. 

Anybody come across this with their H9 set up?
    An official Foo liked guitarist since 2024
    I've read that using volume pedals sometimes get you 0 -> 100 -> 0 behaviour, which can be fixed for expression use by snipping a wire from one of the tabs on the pot - not sure which.

Also this : https://www.eventideaudio.com/community/forum/stompboxes/h9-expression-pedal-recommendation seems to suggest it needs to be a TRS cable? (they mention the FV500L in one of the posts) 
    Red ones are better.