The H9 thread

What's Hot

Comments

• rsvmarkrsvmark Frets: 1383
    Just seen these for interest @bintytwanger77

Not quite what we want but a step in that direction? 
    ;)
    An official Foo liked guitarist since 2024
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • hubobuloushubobulous Frets: 2352
    I currently use a MIDI Mouse for changing patches so something like the Barn3 OX9 could really help save some space on my board. Thanks for posting.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I'm finding the best way of using the H9 is having several lists of 9 presets on my
    rsvmark said:
    Just seen these for interest @bintytwanger77

Not quite what we want but a step in that direction? 
    ;)

I like. I like a lot.
  • BintyTwanger77BintyTwanger77 Frets: 2233
    edited January 2016

I have got a titanic urge to get a 2nd H9. A TITANIC urge. I know, having a Max already, I'd just need to buy the H9 Core, so wouldn't be a huge amount of £, but still...

Just having all my reverbs, delays, and mod/pitch-shifting in 2 pedals, alongside my Frazz Dazzler, Rat and Cleanness... it would be such a fantastically compact board.

Can people give me reasons for and against this?

• hugbothugbot Frets: 1528
    I like the sound of this.

I've been thinking...well dreaming really...

If you can use H9 Control your iPhone/iPad by searching through all 500 odd algorithms/effects and us them as you search, then SURELY the beginnings of the technology is there to create some kind of Bluetooth enabled multiswitch to do the same...

Surely...

I'm dreaming, aren't I?
    Im not sure that bluetooth is reliable enough on this for live use.
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7519
    @TimmyO Can you use an iRig footswitch like the blueboard and use the app to link to H9 Control on your iPhone to scroll through all the presets available (as with the H9 Max)?
    I believe not but that it's been asked for and E have said they'd consider adding core midi awareness to H9 control - not committed to it though 
    Red ones are better. 
  • BintyTwanger77BintyTwanger77 Frets: 2233
    edited January 2016
    @TimmyO Trigger pulled. I have a 2nd H9 (Core) in the post.
    edited January 2016
    Good work. I have 5:

2 for main live board - generally one in front of amp and one in the loop, but some songs require the cool config of being able to put patches in front or in loop so that's really helpful for me
    1 for acoustic board
    1 for ambient board
    1 for home amp board

I bought a couple of normal ones before the max came out, so then got the max and a couple of Cores. I'm set for effects for a long time :-)
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Nice! 
    Red ones are better. 
    Good work. I have 5:

2 for main live board - generally one in front of amp and one in the loop, but some songs require the cool config of being able to put patches in front or in loop so that's really helpful for me
    1 for acoustic board
    1 for ambient board
    1 for home amp board

I bought a couple of normal ones before the max came out, so then got the max and a couple of Cores. I'm set for effects for a long time :-)
    Christ! lol 
    Red ones are better. 
    Good work. I have 5:

Holy schmoly. Imagine keeping track of the presets on that lot! Outstanding work
    edited January 2016
    rsvmark said:
    Good work. I have 5:

Holy schmoly. Imagine keeping track of the presets on that lot! Outstanding work
    To be honest, the point really goes like this:

I use the one at home on my home amp board as a testing unit and also to add the standard effects when I'm noodling around. This is where I create patches for live usage, test them out and make sure I've got the levels etc correct. I can then easily transfer these to my live board. There will be times when I need to use two patches at the same time in which case I'll break out the live board at home to ensure that they work together correctly.

But take 'What's the Frequency Kenneth' as an example. I need both stutter trem for the chorus and reverse delay for the solo. So I get these patches sorted at home and then transfer them to the two H9s on my live board. The only thing I then need to do is set up the MIDI and ensure that the patches are the same number on both units and I'm set. I never change patches during a song so I'm saved from that aspect of tap dancing.

The acoustic patches are more to fill out the sound, or add colour on certain songs, but to be honest I'm only really starting out with the H9 on that board.

The ambient one is just there to add anything that my other pedals don't readily give me.

I guess its just that I've settled on the H9 as my FX direction. I have a couple of Strymon pedals for the ambient board, but otherwise my 'allegiance' is to the H9 and its future algorithms.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • @TimmyO Trigger pulled. I have a 2nd H9 (Core) in the post.
    Good work. I have 5:

1 for acoustic board
    1 for ambient board
    1 for home amp board

Jeezo...I salute you. You're at peak H9! Excellent. I'm wondering about how to get the Crush Station presets to work. One thing I've noticed is that they seem overly sensitive and there is a sizeable volume jump. Will definitely merit some tweaking.
    Yes same here, I've set myself a task to work up a couple of chips n gravy boost and drives. The Crushstation algo has a powerful pre or post EQ section which should make it tweak able.

Red ones are better. 
    edited January 2016
    Got em rigged up on a board now

Red ones are better. 
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7349
    edited January 2016
    I'm not sure I understand how you would use these live. In one song you might use it as a delay sound, but in the next you might use it as reverb. What if in that song you then want to switch a delay on? Prior to the gig you'd set up a second preset to be the same as the first but with delay added and then switch to it?
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7349
    Also surely it can't actually fully feature all the factor pedals and the space? If it did why would anyone buy them separately?
    DefaultM;936815" said:
    Also surely it can't actually fully feature all the factor pedals and the space? If it did why would anyone buy them separately?
    Yes the algorithms and processing are identical to the Factor pedals.

For the most part you can only use one effect at once though - that's the limitation. Hence some folk having 2 (or more)

There are a few algorithms that combine 2 or 3 effects (ModEchoVerb is one) but obviously those algorithms don't have the same tweak ability and fidelity.

Plus the full pedals are bigger with easier access to all the knobs at once. Different approaches to things.
    Red ones are better. 
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    DefaultM said:
    It does if you max it out, or just buy the max version.

You're right on the switching stuff though.. it's a bit finicky to switch presets in the middle of a song imho. But that's nothing different to any other single stomp format multi-fx pedal - the Zooms, the Line 6, etc...
    DefaultM said:
    I'm not sure I understand how you would use these live. In one song you might use it as a delay sound, but in the next you might use it as reverb. What if in that song you then want to switch a delay on? Prior to the gig you'd set up a second preset to be the same as the first but with delay added and then switch to it?
    Some algos have multiple effects. Mod echo verb mentioned above, but also some delays etc have modulation available. Using an expression pedal you can also dial in and change preset parameters live while others stay constant. The a delay algo for example can have 2 delays. Use 1 as the base delay and you can add a second delay as required with modulation programmed back to the expression pedal. When it's not needed, return the expression pedal back to 0.

I am sure everyone has their own way of doing it. I have a base clean and base dirty channel setting using slightly different levels of reverb from the amp. then the H9 is used as 'extra over' so different delays or modulation are switch in or out depending on the song. I've got song specific patches and generic medium or longer delays set up that I use in several songs. As others mentioned, the tricky bit comes when you need 2 different effects that are not available in a single algo on at different times in a song. Then you need 2. I've not felt that need (yet) as the stuff I play isn't that complex but......