Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Show your Bicycles.....

What's Hot

Comments

• strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2439
    edited June 2016
    B'Twin don't get a lot of attention but they make some very good bikes for the money. They have an 11 speed Ultegra equipped 720AF (newer version of yours @joneve ) with fizik saddle for £1050 which is a steal.

OK the frame isn't as stiff as a full carbon, but for longer/endurance riding on bumpy british roads, there's a lot to be said for a bit more flex anyway.

I've near 400 miles on my triban after just over a month. I'm planning to put about 2-3000 miles on it (ie once it needs a new cassette), and then if I'm meeting my fitness and weight loss goals I'll treat myself to something around the £1000-1500 mark and keep the triban as a winter hack, maybe put some winter tyres and mudguards on it.

I'd like something along the lines of a Cannondale CAAD12
    imageBut unsure whether I'd go for it with 105s and discs or Ultegra with Vs..
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1474
    strtdv;1100083" said:
    B'Twin don't get a lot of attention but they make some very good bikes for the money. They have an 11 speed Ultegra equipped 720AF (newer version of yours @joneve ) with fizik saddle for £1050 which is a steal.

OK the frame isn't as stiff as a full carbon, but for longer/endurance riding on bumpy british roads, there's a lot to be said for a bit more flex anyway.

I've near 400 miles on my triban after just over a month. I'm planning to put about 2-3000 miles on it (ie once it needs a new cassette), and then if I'm meeting my fitness and weight loss goals I'll treat myself to something around the £1000-1500 mark and keep the triban as a winter hack, maybe put some winter tyres and mudguards on it.

I'd like something along the lines of a Cannondale CAAD12But unsure whether I'd go for it with 105s and discs or Ultegra with Vs..
    A lot of people write off B'twin as own brand crap, but their bikes are every bit as good as their competitors from my experience. I've recently started increasing the miles again and forgot how much I loved mine. It's an absolute joy to ride.

Decathlon's 'own brand' stuff translates to other sports as well. I use a lot of their Wed'ze ski stuff and it's great, and half the price of the usual brands.

That CAAD is lovely btw
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • hobbiohobbio Frets: 3440
    Some top metal in this thread. Here's my Merida 29er, the photo was taken on the day I got it so it's not so shiny now:

I want a road bike too, but funds won't allow it at present.

electric proddy probe machine

My trading feedback thread

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33799
    edited June 2016
    I have a couple.

Specialized Tarmac:

Whyte 629 29'er:

I also have a Focus Mares Cyclocross bike but don't have a photo of that to hand.
    @octatonic I don't suppose you've tried a Specialized Roubaix have you? I've heard the Tarmac is actually very comfortable for a race-orientated bike, but wondering how it compared to the Roubaix for all-day riding.
    strtdv said:
    @octatonic I don't suppose you've tried a Specialized Roubaix have you? I've heard the Tarmac is actually very comfortable for a race-orientated bike, but wondering how it compared to the Roubaix for all-day riding.
    I've ridden the Roubaix- it is a bit more comfortable than the Tarmac but it isn't night and day.
    I've done 60 miles on the Tarmac- you feel it a bit in the shoulders but it handles great.
    I suppose the other option is to flip the stem if you're going for a particularly long ride. I did it on mine and wouldn't go back.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    strtdv said:
    I suppose the other option is to flip the stem if you're going for a particularly long ride. I did it on mine and wouldn't go back.
    I've thought about it but I'm looking to buy a dedicated all day/sportive bike- current favourites are the Focus Cayo and the Spec Roubaix.
  • BowksBowks Frets: 414
    octatonic said:
    strtdv said:
    I've thought about it but I'm looking to buy a dedicated all day/sportive bike- current favourites are the Focus Cayo and the Spec Roubaix.
    Check out the Giant range,they are great bikes too.
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2898
    edited June 2016
    The MTB (frame is actually for sale if anyone is interested but will make a seperate thread for that!) - love it but don't get to use it to its full potential as much as I'd like to any more. Mostly just ride at Woburn on the DH stuff and the odd trip away to FOD/BPW etc but I want more of a "trail" bike so I can do some xc rides without feeling like my lungs are going to explode - did a 28 miler at the Long Mynd on it once and thought I might die at some points climbing back up Carding Mill Valley haha.

and the road bike (don't have the other 2 bikes in this pic any more). It's a bit nackered now - both brake mounting bolts are seized/stripped and the arms are a bit sticky so sometimes they rub - need to get this sorted really as it does my head in. Also the rear hub bearings have developed some play which also annoys me! 

Bowks said:
    octatonic said:
    strtdv said:
    Check out the Giant range,they are great bikes too.
    The Giant Defy gets good reviews, and the Defy Advanced Pro range is pretty comparable price wise to the Spec Roubaix SL4 range. IMO the Spec has slightly better, ahem, spec than the Giant, with better wheels and the Ultegra Di2 system, and the Spec CG-R seatpost is meant to work brilliantly at damping vibration from the road. 
    Unless you want disc brakes, in which case the Giant is probably the better buy, as all their carbon framed Defy range have disc brakes by either Shimano or SRAM depending which model you go for.
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    edited June 2016
    Me and the boys having a race on our bicycles in Oz ... the last one bought the beers .. poor old Pete took a wrong turn .. should have turned left

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • hobbiohobbio Frets: 3440
    @octatonic I really dig those two, but that Whyte in particular does funny things to my downstairs. I do like a 29er.

electric proddy probe machine

My trading feedback thread

• NiallmoNiallmo Frets: 467
    I've been back on the Carrera for the past couple of commutes. It's getting a creaky bottom bracket, only done 750 miles. I think a service might help.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v375/Niallmo/Bicyles/3E9C7F93-2D6D-4D83-8575-A1D4970ACE39_zpsel3lazpp.jpg
    Is it BB30?
    They are notorious for creaking.

I disassembled mine and re-greased it which helped a lot.
  • NiallmoNiallmo Frets: 467
    Seems to be a Shimano BN 133 but I want to put a Shimano 105 BB in it as I'm upgrading it to 105. It's got 105 front and rear derailleurs and I'm waiting to put 105 brakes on it.
  • TroyTroy Frets: 224
    Is it mandatory for cyclists to wear lycra now, even when commuting a short distance to work?

Also, if you have a GoPro is it a requirement to post a youtube video if a car/lorry comes within 100 metres of you and then to post "look how close he/she was to me!"?
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1474
    octatonic said:
    strtdv said:
    B'Twin. Every time. 
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7143
    edited June 2016
    Orange Espress-O S bought with the help of you lot on this here forum.

Out most days on it and its done a shedload of miles already in the last few weeks.

Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom