Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Show your Bicycles.....

What's Hot

Comments

• eSullyeSully Frets: 981
    edited June 2016
    My daily commuter, great bike

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2439
    @Niallmo are those Crud RoadRacer mudguards? How do you like them? I've read they're very good but a bit fragile?

I've 450 miles done in about 7 weeks, I'm looking forward to wearing out the tyres so I can change them to 28mm for a bit more comfort. My backside is now pretty used to the saddle for 3-4 hours at a time, but the road chatter through the bars is giving me numb fingers.
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9634
    @strtdv It looks like your Triban has mudguard eyelets, in which case you'd be much better off with some proper mudguards like SKS Chromoplastics. Bolt them on and they won't snap, rub against the tyre or rattle loose like Crudguards are prone to. They'll also protect your brakes, bottom bracket bearings and headset better from road spray. A frame with mudguards eyelets and clearance is great for commuting and winter riding.
  • strtdv said:
    @Niallmo are those Crud RoadRacer mudguards? How do you like them? I've read they're very good but a bit fragile?

I've 450 miles done in about 7 weeks, I'm looking forward to wearing out the tyres so I can change them to 28mm for a bit more comfort. My backside is now pretty used to the saddle for 3-4 hours at a time, but the road chatter through the bars is giving me numb fingers.
    Gel bar tape and/ or decent gloves should go a fair way to sorting that out. Also look into your riding position. Riding "on the hoods" can often seem more comfortable but isn't necessarily the best position. Them thar bars are designed that way for a purpose, and it isn't always for speed. A "racing" posture keeps your wrists straight.
    littlegreenman < My tunes here...
  • NiallmoNiallmo Frets: 467
    The crud catchers are very good. I only took them off as I went to larger tyres. Very useful.

I use gel bar tape.
    I'll look into a set of proper mudguards then and some gel bar tape (already using decent gloves). To be fair the roads around here are particularly terrible (cracks, potholes and generally worn surface, often with loose chippings), so I'd need a particularly comfortable bike to sort that out. I reckon 28mm tyres will also help though.
    edited June 2016
    Gel bar tape and/ or decent gloves should go a fair way to sorting that out. Also look into your riding position. Riding "on the hoods" can often seem more comfortable but isn't necessarily the best position. Them thar bars are designed that way for a purpose, and it isn't always for speed. A "racing" posture keeps your wrists straight.
    I did a short (25k) cycle this evening after making some adjustments to the bike, and it seems to have improved things. I had the bars angled slightly up which was making me extend my wrists and putting pressure on the ulnar nerve. I dropped them down a bit and noticed 2 things: it's much more comfortable riding on the drops now, and my wrists are much straighter on the hoods which seems to have taken a lot of pressure off them. 
    I'll need to go for a 80-100k ride to be sure, but seems pretty positive.

The weight loss is also helping I think, I've over 2 stone off now in about 9 weeks, despite just coming back from America after 9 days of eating junk. If I lose another 20lbs I'll be well pleased (have lost 30lbs so far).
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited July 2016
    Very smart, is the Brooks saddle comfy?

Mine is now gradually on its way to becoming an audax/light touring bike. I fitted the SKS chromoplastic mudguards as suggested (a little fiddly but once fitted they work extremely well and look pretty good too). I've worn out the stock chain so put a Shimano hyperglide one on, and a matching cassette to match (the "sun race" one didn't seem up with the quality of the rest of the bike).
    Also fitted Michelin Pro4 Endurance tyres after the rear had a few relatively nasty cuts. I'm doing a 100+ mile ride tomorrow and didn't fancy doing it on a badly cut rear.

I'm looking at getting my wife the ladies version of the B'Twin, as she's now up for the idea of longer cycles after doing a couple of 20 mile cycles on mountain bikes that I'd put slick tyres on.

I've now also got the notion of a rear pannier rack (the frame has all the necessary attachment eyelets, and I'm doing longer rides around the 70-100 mile mark and increasingly wanting to bring more stuff with me eg spare folding tyre, lunch, wet weather gear etc). Any recommendations?

I'm eyeing up a Canyon for shorter runs as the B'Twin gets increasingly used as a tourer.. The Endurace CF9.0 looks incredible value at £1490 delivered! Full Ultegra including brakes, longer cage derailleur so can take a 32T rear for climbing, 7kg, looks like a great bike.
    I actually have one in the shopping basket online, very close to buying, but perhaps I should wait until next spring and just put the miles in on the B'Twin over the winter.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1474
    strtdv said:
    Very smart, is the Brooks saddle comfy?

Mine is now gradually on its way to becoming an audax/light touring bike. I fitted the SKS chromoplastic mudguards as suggested (a little fiddly but once fitted they work extremely well and look pretty good too). I've worn out the stock chain so put a Shimano hyperglide one on, and a matching cassette to match (the "sun race" one didn't seem up with the quality of the rest of the bike).
    Also fitted Michelin Pro4 Endurance tyres after the rear had a few relatively nasty cuts. I'm doing a 100+ mile ride tomorrow and didn't fancy doing it on a badly cut rear.

I'm looking at getting my wife the ladies version of the B'Twin, as she's now up for the idea of longer cycles after doing a couple of 20 mile cycles on mountain bikes that I'd put slick tyres on.

I've now also got the notion of a rear pannier rack (the frame has all the necessary attachment eyelets, and I'm doing longer rides around the 70-100 mile mark and increasingly wanting to bring more stuff with me eg spare folding tyre, lunch, wet weather gear etc). Any recommendations?

I'm eyeing up a Canyon for shorter runs as the B'Twin gets increasingly used as a tourer.. The Endurace CF9.0 looks incredible value at £1490 delivered! Full Ultegra including brakes, longer cage derailleur so can take a 32T rear for climbing, 7kg, looks like a great bike.
    I actually have one in the shopping basket online, very close to buying, but perhaps I should wait until next spring and just put the miles in on the B'Twin over the winter.

My mate has one. It's amazing. Buy it. HTH. 
  • NiallmoNiallmo Frets: 467
    Oooo... my current Bike to works scheme is up in December. That Canyon looks spot on...
  • NickBotfieldNickBotfield Frets: 143
    Here are mine.

This is my Tern folder for short trips and commutes.

This is my 1997 Marin Rift Zone.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    This is my B'Twin Triban 500SE which I've just finished replacing the groupset on.

And this is my motherfucking Sunday best, a Bianchi Intenso.

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • jimmydjimmyd Frets: 60
    Wisdom to all the BTwin recommendations they look absolutely bargainous. I was very tempted to get one of the Mach 720 ones for some cat 4 races next year. Race proven frame. 105 groupset. What's not to like ?
    Oh and @octatonic if you hadn't already, I wold consider getting one of the Genesis Zero bikes in the end of season sales. Top, top quality frame, 105 or ultegra depending on how much you want to spend. Okay the wheels are a little heavy but you could always get a hand-built set from a wheel builder separately and flog the ones that come with the bike...
    edited July 2016
    http://i.imgur.com/8OAigaR

This is my Sunday best.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28268
    This is my slightly-neglected MTB. 1993 Orange Clockwork. Mostly DX but XT V-brakes, Hope hubs, blah blah.

http://monkeyfx.co.uk/pictures/Orange/IMG_0267.JPG

"[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    edited July 2016
    Well I pulled the trigger on the Canyon, can't wait to get it.
    Also picked up a B'Twin Triban 540 for my wife today. 105 groupset, Mavic wheels, £450 on offer.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom