Euro 2016 thread

What's Hot

Comments

• DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4604
    Rose has been my player of the season
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23083
    I'm not so sure. Bale is great, world class even, but he was out scored and arguably out performed by Vardy and Kane this season. England are not a great team, but they have more goals in them that Wales, scoring 3 times as many in qualifying (in a relatively weak group however). Should be interesting. Wales have not had good results lately but I think they will rise to the occation when it comes to it.
    I fear the Wales team have already (subconciously) decided that the job is done just by qualifying.

There's more strength in depth than there used to be, but that strength is still pretty average and I'm still not totally convinced by Coleman as a manager.  Unless Bale and one or two others are firing on all cylinders, we won't get beyond the last 16, maybe not even out of the group.
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4993
    Only a few minutes before the tournament kicks off. The BBC pundit Mark Lawrenson expects both of the Ireland teams to be eliminated in the group stage. Probably right but I hope not. Come on (all) the boys in Green...
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• ennspekennspek Frets: 1626
    Romania have a player called Rat. This is awesome.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16301
    Got it on, half watching. Romania were inches from scoring after four minutes. That would have been an interesting start!
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 995
    Been looking forward to the tournament starting for the last couple of weeks. Not a bad game to get the tournament off to a start.
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4930
    duotone said:
    Been looking forward to the tournament starting for the last couple of weeks. Not a bad game to get the tournament off to a start.

Yep, I think France thought they were going to steamroller Romania, but it's not turning out that way.
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4930
    Wow, what a goal!
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3094
    Some goal that.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• jpttaylorjpttaylor Frets: 465
    Every West Ham fan across the country is sat smugly thinking "We've got Payet" - myself included.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • NotNowJohnNotNowJohn Frets: 187
    Great goal but France weren't convincing at all. 
    I wonder where Payet will be playing next season?

• MrSwansonMrSwanson Frets: 457
    jpttaylor;1105480" said:
    Every West Ham fan across the country is sat smugly thinking "We've got Payet" - myself included.
    Can't imagine him sticking around for long.
    View my trading feedback here: http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58681/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5866
    Great goal but France weren't convincing at all. 
    I wonder where Payet will be playing next season?

Millwall

;))
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    France are my second team this tournament. I think they warmed up as time went on. Remember England against Switzerland in 96 wasn't great, I expect France to have a similar tournament.
    My V key is broken
  • ChuffolaChuffola Frets: 2026

I normally really look forward to the Euros but they've diluted the quality down so much by adding these extra teams. The likes of Ireland, Northern Ireland and Wales do absolutely nothing to excite me as a neutral. They should have stuck with 16 teams and had a top quality tournament.

We (NI) topped our group and would have been there if there were 16 teams... Or 8 teams. 

We also have the best recent record of all the teams competing (12 game unbeaten run).

I'd say we've a better chance of getting out of our group than either RoI or Wales, although I'd love to see all 3 of us in the latter stages. We all play better than the sum of our parts because we play as a team and with a formation / strategy that works. 

Not sure I'd include England in a "top quality tournament" based on the dire football they've produced at any of the recent ones...

:P
  • lloydlloyd Frets: 5774
    If this hooliganism was caused by England "fans" then I seriously think that a ban for England fans for the next Euro's needs to be considered.... Every fucking tournament in Europe there's an incident, perhaps the knobs were priced out of travelling to Brazil, SA, Japan? Banning the usual suspects, taking passports etc worked in the past to a degree but I think it's just pissed up idiots behaving like wankers abroad. We've seen shitty incidents in club football involving English teams recently too, Chelsea/PSG? Shameful scenes which do the game no favours. I genuinely feel sorry for the 99.9999% of true England fans (lots of my mates amongst them, some of whom have travelled out there) that will be embarrassed, ashamed and angry at the small minority's of dickheads that ruin it for everyone else. A ban doesn't seem fair but what options are open to the powers that be? I love the combatative nature of football crowds, I love the banter and the chants, some of which are genius, but this shit is unacceptable and has no place in the game.

Manchester based original indie band Random White:

https://www.facebook.com/RandomWhite

https://twitter.com/randomwhite1

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • BigBearKrisBigBearKris Frets: 1755
    menamestom;1082271" said:
    thecolourbox said:

I shall be supporting the two Irish teams and not England, because they are actual teams whereas the England squad is a group of mismatched potential but no application or spirit. I happily have a go at them every other week playing at the hawthorns so I'm sure it'd be wrong to suddenly like them again now. The Irish players in our team however I have much more time for

You generally just support the country you are from, that's how it works with internationals.
    No.
    You support whoever you want to support.
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31659
    Fretwired;1082495" said:
    There doesn't seem to be any leadership or a plan. One of Roy's weaknesses.
    So basically one of Roy's weaknesses is Football Management?

That seems a little unfortunate given his chosen profession.
    :)
  • Flink_PoydFlink_Poyd Frets: 2490
    edited June 2016
    lloyd said:
    If this hooliganism was caused by England "fans" then I seriously think that a ban for England fans for the next Euro's needs to be considered.... Every fucking tournament in Europe there's an incident, perhaps the knobs were priced out of travelling to Brazil, SA, Japan? Banning the usual suspects, taking passports etc worked in the past to a degree but I think it's just pissed up idiots behaving like wankers abroad. We've seen shitty incidents in club football involving English teams recently too, Chelsea/PSG? Shameful scenes which do the game no favours. I genuinely feel sorry for the 99.9999% of true England fans (lots of my mates amongst them, some of whom have travelled out there) that will be embarrassed, ashamed and angry at the small minority's of dickheads that ruin it for everyone else. A ban doesn't seem fair but what options are open to the powers that be? I love the combatative nature of football crowds, I love the banter and the chants, some of which are genius, but this shit is unacceptable and has no place in the game.
    So far all Ive seen of Euro 2016 is 5 mins of the France game and 2 days of these reports in the media. I used to love football but Im fed up of all the bullshit that goes with it nowadays and with these morons causing trouble I find myself caring less about it as time goes on. The "2 world wars and one world cup" crowd can go fuck themselves, we're not even Germany biggest rival, the Dutch are.
    Nobody is guaranteed tomorrow.....

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • lloydlloyd Frets: 5774
    Flink_Poyd;1105632" said:
    lloyd said:

If this hooliganism was caused by England "fans" then I seriously think that a ban for England fans for the next Euro's needs to be considered....

Every fucking tournament in Europe there's an incident, perhaps the knobs were priced out of travelling to Brazil, SA, Japan?

Banning the usual suspects, taking passports etc worked in the past to a degree but I think it's just pissed up idiots behaving like wankers abroad.

We've seen shitty incidents in club football involving English teams recently too, Chelsea/PSG?

Shameful scenes which do the game no favours.

I genuinely feel sorry for the 99.9999% of true England fans (lots of my mates amongst them, some of whom have travelled out there) that will be embarrassed, ashamed and angry at the small minority's of dickheads that ruin it for everyone else.

A ban doesn't seem fair but what options are open to the powers that be?

I love the combatative nature of football crowds, I love the banter and the chants, some of which are genius, but this shit is unacceptable and has no place in the game.

So far all Ive seen of Euro 2016 is 5 mins of the France game and 2 days of these reports in the media. I used to love football but Im fed up of all the bullshit that goes with it nowadays and with these morons causing trouble I find myself caring less about it as time goes on.
    Just turn the tv on to the football channel 2 minutes before kick off and off at half time/end of the game.

I know what you mean though but shouldn't spoil your enjoyment of a game of footy.

Manchester based original indie band Random White:

https://www.facebook.com/RandomWhite

https://twitter.com/randomwhite1