EU Referendum Vote - Poll

What's Hot

Comments

• thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4438
    Yeah I'm down a fair bit, buffered only by previous gains. Mostly oil, Lloyds, Lifestrategy fund.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4738
    £40 million has been lost off the Sterling due to poor performance! But enough about Raheem, I've just realised I'm in the wrong thread ;)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    hugbot said:
    Chalky said:
    Compare:

A) Remain voters said we were a small insignificant country.

B) This morning's news reports on how the Leave vote has shocked world markets and politics.
    Thats like saying "they said I would never do anything important so I showed them by setting fire to the neighborhood".

No it's actually showing the hypocrisy of the lefty in "better together/no divisions/no differences between people and countries" crowd. Emotional Orwellian language to attempt to control the vote before hand, and handwringing and doom-saying after the fact!
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    edited June 2016
    octatonic;1123309" said:
    thomasross20 said:

God food is well expensive here compared to in Europe. Still, more on food is less on housing. LLOY, BDEV, TW... all down 25%.... 

Fortunately we are mostly on the NYSE, not the FTSE.

I still expect a 15-20% loss today, minimum.FTSE is down 500 points in the first 30 mins.Absolute carnage.
    No it isn't. The drop in the price is only relevant if trading volumes are high. Only a fool sells out now.

Put it like this. If Tesco doubled the price of all the things on their shelves today, would you do all your shopping and pay double or would you wait for their prices to drop again? Only a fool would go shopping...
    I'm trying to buy but system is lagging - argh!
    Hargreaves is dying on its @rse. ;
    On the up-side, shares are climbing back up.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33901
    Chalky said:
    octatonic;1123309" said:
    thomasross20 said:

God food is well expensive here compared to in Europe. Still, more on food is less on housing. LLOY, BDEV, TW... all down 25%.... 

Fortunately we are mostly on the NYSE, not the FTSE.

I still expect a 15-20% loss today, minimum.FTSE is down 500 points in the first 30 mins.Absolute carnage.
    No it isn't. The drop in the price is only relevant if trading volumes are high. Only a fool sells out now.

Put it like this. If Tesco doubled the price of all the things on their shelves today, would you do all your shopping and pay double or would you wait for their prices to drop again? Only a fool would go shopping...
    I know how it works- I've been doing this for a long time- it will bounce back at some stage of course.
    What is happening now is some short selling- we'll know how much a bit later on.

I agree though- I'm staying put.
  • hugbothugbot Frets: 1528
    Drew_fx said:
    hugbot said:
    Chalky said:
    Compare:

B) This morning's news reports on how the Leave vote has shocked world markets and politics.
    Thats like saying "they said I would never do anything important so I showed them by setting fire to the neighborhood".

No it's actually showing the hypocrisy of the lefty in "better together/no divisions/no differences between people and countries" crowd. Emotional Orwellian language to attempt to control the vote before hand, and handwringing and doom-saying after the fact!
    I have no idea where you're getting that from. 

My point is that being able to damage the world economy isn't any kind of vindication of our strength or something. Its exactly what was predicted would happen. Yes we are a financial centre with a triple A credit rating, today the FT is predicting we might lose it. Chalky pointing to that and going "see, we are important after all" is nonsensical.

You talk about "Emotional language" but thats exactly the issue I'm criticising. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72948
    Chalky said:
    Put it like this. If Tesco doubled the price of all the things on their shelves today, would you do all your shopping and pay double or would you wait for their prices to drop again? Only a fool would go shopping…
    Unless you think they'll stay that way. The difficulty is how to judge the length of the price rise, how far and how quickly it will fall again afterwards, and whether you have enough food at home to get you through it.

Your use of Tesco as an example will be appropriate if the pound doesn't recover to pre-Leave levels very soon.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

All these highly-paid presenters and politicos are talking about are the financial aspects. That's all they care about! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    hugbot;1123379" said:
    Drew_fx said:

hugbot said:

Chalky said:

Compare:

I have no idea where you're getting that from. 

My point is that being able to damage the world economy isn't any kind of vindication of our strength or something. Its exactly what was predicted would happen. Yes we are a financial centre with a triple A credit rating, today the FT is predicting we might lose it. Chalky pointing to that and going "see, we are important after all" is nonsensical.

You talk about "Emotional language" but thats exactly the issue I'm criticising. 
    Here, fuckwit. I used the word "insignificant", not "important". If you're going to quote someone, use their words.

And significance is not the same as importance. Only it seems like it is in your head. Improve your vocabulary. Read and learn.
  • MyrandaMyranda Frets: 2940
    So, as thousands of workers are here as EU citizens, how long before they're all forcefully evicted? Going to be busy days at the ports
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 27036
    ADMIN NOTE: Right, you've all had a chance to get your frustration off your chests. We understand that tensions are a bit high for some people, which is why we've let these threads run; for the most part, everyone's been relatively good-natured (under the circumstances).

HOWEVER

From this point forth, any personal insults or attacks will be treated as direct violations of rule #1. Keep it civil, guys.

(I'll repost this in all the relevant threads)
    <space for hire>
  • hugbothugbot Frets: 1528
    You say that as if it changes your utterly moronic point:

Yes, leaving the EU will probably cause "significant" damage to the world economy. No thats not cause for some kind of "look whos insignificant now!?" rallying cry since that damage goes both ways.

I'm seeing a significant number of people this morning suddenly with immediate pressing concerns about their jobs, but hey, we sure showed the world economy what for huh?

• CirrusCirrus Frets: 8497
    Drew_fx said:
    Alternatively:

"If we decide A, then the consequence will be B and that's going to be bad."

"We have decided A, and now B is happening. We still think it's pretty bad."

I wouldn't quite frame that the way you have here.
    I'm also wondering what happens when we need a plumber now? Will we have to consult with the consulate, organise a temporary work visa and then get the plumber to come over? I think the whole house will have flooded by then, and dear lord the call out fee will be horendous 
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited June 2016
    Chalky said:
    Here, fuckwit
    hmmm.
    Myranda said:
    So, as thousands of workers are here as EU citizens, how long before they're all forcefully evicted? Going to be busy days at the ports
    I've seen a few quite heart wrenching posts from people who have lived here and paid taxes for a long time - some of them with young families. They weren't able to vote, and now even if their lives aren't going to change in the coming days or weeks, there is still doubt in their minds as to their long term future.
    Cirrus said:
    Myranda said:
    I've seen a few quite heart wrenching posts from people who have lived here and paid taxes for a long time - some of them with young families. They weren't able to vote, and now even if their lives aren't going to change in the coming days or weeks, there is still doubt in their minds as to their long term future.
    Well, given that the goal was to boot out hard-working tax payers and prevent more coming over, I imagine there can be no doubt as to their future :(
    No. There'll be a system like in Oz to bring in qualified/skilled people.