EU Referendum Vote - Poll

What's Hot

Comments

• eSullyeSully Frets: 981
    My best mate is pretty worried for his job this morning. He runs an ecology firm. Quoting his text "95% of our work is based on EU Habitats Directive." Worrying times for him and his family.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 29048
    No. There'll be a system like in Oz to bring in qualified/skilled people.
    So back to the good old days of stripping less developed countries of their most skilled people.

(some sarcasm present in this post)
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • MyrandaMyranda Frets: 2940
    There weren't enough staff to process Visa applications to the UK in a timely manner before... now that 300,000+ applications will get made in one go they will be overwhelmed.

There is also a policy of refusing over-stay people ... they will have to return to their home country and make a new application (which is likely to be refused). I've known someone work here for years, right-to-reside based on his wife. He took a few weeks after his divorce (not a pleasant one by all accounts) to re-apply for his visa and was promptly ordered out of the UK despite having a current job and paying tax, and to apply again when he got back to South Africa. That meant he lost his job (because legally they couldn't employ him as he had no visa) and without a job they wouldn't accept his new application.

Unless someone drastically re-writes policy for the immigration staff in the UK in VERY short order there will be mass deportations
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4438
    Right guys, I'm off to watch Independence Day (lol) - have fun!
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10381
    Myranda said:
    Cirrus said:
    Myranda said:
    So, as thousands of workers are here as EU citizens, how long before they're all forcefully evicted? Going to be busy days at the ports
    I've seen a few quite heart wrenching posts from people who have lived here and paid taxes for a long time - some of them with young families. They weren't able to vote, and now even if their lives aren't going to change in the coming days or weeks, there is still doubt in their minds as to their long term future.
    Well, given that the goal was to boot out hard-working tax payers and prevent more coming over, I imagine there can be no doubt as to their future.
    Emotive bollocks and a huge generalisation.I'd bet a months wages that no-one here legitimately will be booted out.
    Laugh, love, live, learn. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Myranda;1123437" said:
    So, as thousands of workers are here as EU citizens, how long before they're all forcefully evicted? Going to be busy days at the ports
    I really don't think it will happen.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    FYI I'm not for deporting folk already here....!! We have lots of very highly skilled circuit designers from the EU. 
    Myranda;1123479" said:
    I'm also wondering what happens when we need a plumber now? Will we have to consult with the consulate, organise a temporary work visa and then get the plumber to come over? I think the whole house will have flooded by then, and dear lord the call out fee will be horendous 
    Well if we hadn't had several decades of immigration and preferential treatment, maybe there would actually BE a British plumber you could call!! B-)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33901
    Australia has higher immigration than here.

I wonder if Britain will be as attractive a destination outside the EU.
    Cirrus;1123487" said:
    Myranda said:

I've seen a few quite heart wrenching posts from people who have lived here and paid taxes for a long time - some of them with young families. They weren't able to vote, and now even if their lives aren't going to change in the coming days or weeks, there is still doubt in their minds as to their long term future.
    I've had to deal with that from my family. Who aren't even from the EU. But they still think it might mean they have to leave.

Emotions don't trump logic. B-)
    Myranda said:
    Cirrus said:
    Myranda said:
    Well, given that the goal was to boot out hard-working tax payers
    That's not the goal.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33901
    Drew_fx said:
    Myranda;1123437" said:
    Neither do I.
    The NHS would be stripped of loads of staff.
    octatonic said:
    Australia has higher immigration than here.

I wonder if Britain will be as attractive a destination outside the EU.
    I think so... we've got loads of people coming to Scotland anyway - they like the lifestyle and job opportunities (which will hopefully remain) if not the weather (contrary to my chat, housing is at least within reach here). 
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 27036
    A good mate of mine was made Director of European Operations for an American company operating in the UK about 6 months ago, to expand their business into the EU. Essentially, it looks like they're moving their European head office out of the UK now and replacing all the staff; there's no saving to be had from basing it in the UK any more.

Gutted for him, that's a serious kick in the nuts.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MyrandaMyranda Frets: 2940
    Myranda said:
    Cirrus said:
    Myranda said:
    Well, given that the goal was to boot out hard-working tax payers and prevent more coming over, I imagine there can be no doubt as to their future.
    Emotive bollocks and a huge generalisation.I'd bet a months wages that no-one here legitimately will be booted out.

Drew_fx said:
    Myranda;1123437" said:

FYI I'm not for deporting folk already here....!! We have lots of very highly skilled circuit designers from the EU. 
    EU workers are here because of the Freedom of Movement rules within the EU. We've just voted to leave the EU because 51% of us think that the Freedom of Movement should be abolished but the EU wont allow that so we left.

Now, given that they have (or will after Article 50 is enacted and completed) no legal right to be here, they will have to leave. While some *might* get to apply for VISAs the UK policy has been to refuse VISA applications from people without a current right to stay. That policy *could* be reversed, but to do so would go against the apparent will of the people - and would have to be voted on by parliament who will want to keep their jobs in the next election.

So, logically speaking anyone here on an EU right to work, will have to leave the country. And many I suspect will WANT to leave the country for fear of racial tensions that might start up in the coming months against them.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • MkjackaryMkjackary Frets: 776
    Apparently Spanish and Italian markets are now doing twice as bad as the UK's.
    As a whole europe and the UK is taking a hit, but some areas of Europe are getting hit a lot worse than even the UK.
    I'm not a McDonalds burger. It is MkJackary, not Mc'Jackary... It's Em Kay Jackary. Mkay?
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8497
    breakstuff;1123520" said:
    I don't think it's fair to dismiss it as bollocks. That kind of pejorative argument doesn't wash with me. Even if it's *probably* not going to happen, and I do think that the immigration authorities probably will take steps to protect such desirable immigrants currently in the UK, there's still uncertainty. A right wing nutjob *might* get into power, ill-considered immigration laws drawn up hastily *might* come into effect with unintended but real consequences for these people. So what if the chance of it happening is 2%, 5%, 20%... these people are still going to need to consider their options and do what they need to to protect their family's futures, so this is a time of uncertainty for them whether or not you know how to dismiss an idea as "bollocks".
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10381
    edited June 2016
    Apologies for the tone and wording @Cirrus and @Myranda,I do understand how immigrants will be concerned,though I stand by my initial belief.

I'm just sick of all this pessimism if I'm honest.

And I'm crap at arguing.
    Laugh, love, live, learn. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • BogwhoppitBogwhoppit Frets: 2754
    edited June 2016

I really don't believe there will be reverse migration, much of the leave campaign, just like the remain was based on rhetoric, not on a practical system of reverse migration. All those currently here will still have the option to stay.

Its for this reason that in a years time, many of those who voted 'leave' will take issue because the above reversed migration will not have taken place.

In reality, I can see a kind of half brexit approach.

• ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    I wonder how many people that voted out are now thinking "oh fk, what have we just gone and done?"
    play every note as if it were your first
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom