EU Referendum Vote - Poll

What's Hot

Comments

• Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Myranda said:
    to do so would go against the apparent will of the people
    And that is where your projection and opinion begins Myranda. The truth is, we just don't know yet.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BogwhoppitBogwhoppit Frets: 2754
    edited June 2016
    Clarky said:
    I wonder how many people that voted out are now thinking "oh fk, what have we just gone and done?"

I was convinced we would remain.

I got up around 5.50am, turned the TV on for background noise and just stood there with my jaw to the ground as the result was announced.  It was at this point I dug my union jack shorts out of the drawer, knotted a hanky to put over my head, and put my wellys on :  I was no longer a European :

I was..............

• Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2606
    tFB Trader
    Australia has higher immigration than here.

I wonder if Britain will be as attractive a destination outside the EU.
    There will be people getting there application forms put together this morning for it, There are allot of highly trained people that will want to come here to work, and if there is a mechanism in place for it they will come.
    If they open up the 1 year work visa to the common wealth/EU/World too then that will help support the lower paid seasonal jobs that need migration workers.

We have one of the highest minimum wages in the world, you get paid more here for picking berries than junior engineers in other countries.....

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602

Myranda said:
    No. There'll be a system like in Oz to bring in qualified/skilled people.
    There weren't enough staff to process Visa applications to the UK in a timely manner before... now that 300,000+ applications will get made in one go they will be overwhelmed.

It won't be 300,000 ... nearer 600,000. The 300,000 figure is net migration.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • SporkySporky Frets: 29048
    We have one of the highest minimum wages in the world, you get paid more here for picking berries than junior engineers in other countries.....
    Is that not a reflection of our cost of living being significantly higher than in such countries? Is minimum wage more in terms of buying power than those engineers' wages?
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    Sporky said:
    Is that not a reflection of our cost of living being significantly higher than in such countries? Is minimum wage more in terms of buying power than those engineers' wages?
    Yes. Getting £9 an hour won't help you if you want to buy a house in London.

edited June 2016
    Sporky said:
    This is similar to what happened in the 1980s. Saab in Sweden was employing many Ford employees from Dagenham. Saab were offering three times the wages Ford were paying; however, the cost of living in Sweden at that time was through the roof. I knew of at least 20 people that went, most came back after 6 months as they were worse off then staying in Dagenham - financially that is !

• SporkySporky Frets: 29048
    Fretwired said:

Well, if the property crash thing happens, a nice little pied-a-terre, maybe at One Hyde Park, might not be such a hardship...
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 12070
    tFB Trader
    @Sporky said:
    Only partially based on cost of living, but it means your cars are cheaper, your TV's are cheaper, your guitars are cheaper, anything you buy from an international market.

IMO it is the driving force for all the EU migration to the UK from poor EU countries. a cleaner in Poland has to work 400 hours (2.5eu/h) to pay for a Gibson SG 2015, a cleaner in the UK has to work for 105 hours (9.5eu/hour) to do the same. if the EU had a decent flat rate minimum wage we would not have seen the levels of migration that we did and the out campaign would not have had the amount of support it did.

look at the minimum wages per country and compare that to where most people have migrated from
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_sovereign_states_in_Europe_by_minimum_wage

The cost of living in Cape Town is sky high compared to he wages there for most folk,I remember being in Cape Town with my wife a few years ago , we bought her a new jacket there for about £40, the person behind the counter basically said that is how much she gets paid in a week. Would these People come to the UK, yes they would
    tFB Trader
    @Sporky said:
    Only partially based on cost of living, but it means your cars are cheaper, your TV's are cheaper, your guitars are cheaper, anything you buy from an international market.

IMO it is the driving force for all the EU migration to the UK from poor EU countries. a cleaner in Poland has to work 400 hours (2.5eu/h) to pay for a Gibson SG 2015, a cleaner in the UK has to work for 105 hours (9.5eu/hour) to do the same. if the EU had a decent flat rate minimum wage we would not have seen the levels of migration that we did and the out campaign would not have had the amount of support it did.

look at the minimum wages per country and compare that to where most people have migrated from
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_sovereign_states_in_Europe_by_minimum_wage

The cost of living in Cape Town is sky high compared to he wages there for most folk,I remember being in Cape Town with my wife a few years ago , we bought her a new jacket there for about £40, the person behind the counter basically said that is how much she gets paid in a week. Would these People come to the UK, yes they would
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22517
    Not the time or place. When Labour is sat here figuring out how it can get back in with the Northern Labour areas who voted Leave, having two old chick Remainers coming out with this is risible and demonstrating that Labour are still hopeless within themselves. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

I wonder if the price of sausage will fall ?

Not the time or place. When Labour is sat here figuring out how it can get back in with the Northern Labour areas who voted Leave, having two old chick Remainers coming out with this is risible and demonstrating that Labour are still hopeless within themselves. 
    Wow. I wouldn't have expected that!

Crazy interesting times.
  • hugbothugbot Frets: 1528
    Labour is in a fucked checkmate position regardless. On one hand you've got the "labour heartland", who are anti-immigration. On the other the labour metropolitan city demogrpahic, who are pro. And as this referendum showed with the polls of "leavers" reasons for voting immigration is an election deciding issue. How on earth do you reconcile those groups?
    They probably think the newspapers and TV will be chasing the Tories and Boris around so they can avoid a bad news day. They are lining up a new leader for 2020. I like the guy but he was hopeless in this camapaign.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    hugbot said:
    How on earth do you reconcile those groups?

Formation of a new party is a possible answer, the climate is right for one to form and grow. 

Labour gained ground in its first 20 years.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RockerRocker Frets: 5012
    Clarky;1123603" said:
    I wonder how many people that voted out are now thinking "oh fk, what have we just gone and done?"
    A lot I imagine. Northern Ireland voted to remain. Jeffrey Donaldson, whose party canvassed for an out vote, was interviewed on the radio this morning. He said that there were advantages for the UK voting out. When asked for one, he was totally flummoxed. Not one could he give. Seems he expected a remain result.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

So what does this all mean for @Emp_Fab and his £800 of Euros ???
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72948
    edited June 2016
    Fretwired said:
    I like the guy but he was hopeless in this camapaign.
    I agree - and much as I agree with him on more issues than probably any other senior UK politician, and applaud his personal honesty over his position on the EU, I think he's at least partly to blame.

But I don't think some sore losers in the *parliamentary* Labour Party have any right to depose him when he was voted in by such a large proportion of the party membership.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein