So, 4 days on, were Remain scaremongering or not?

What's Hot

Comments

• FatfingersFatfingers Frets: 500
    I've never had a problem with immigrants. People who are willing to drag themselves and their families across continents in search of a better life, are, by their very nature, highly motivated people. We have high employment in the UK (although that will almost certainly now change as a result of this clusterfuck of idiocy). I don't know whether I'd have the get up and go to leave my country and make a life elsewhere (and I probably won't have the chance to find out, if free movement stops) but I applaud those that do it. I find the whole immigration debate highly worrying. I don't want to live in a country where people are so suspicious of people who aren't like them.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • hungrymarkhungrymark Frets: 1782
    I voted remain in the end but I'm basically a eurosceptic and came very close to leave. I think in the medium to long term it may well be a very positive move to leave, even if the short term is rocky. I voted remain due to short term concerns and part of me regrets that decision. I should have had more courage in my long term convictions. Bottled it, I guess.
    Use Your Brian
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • skankdelvarskankdelvar Frets: 473
    edited June 2016
    I've never had a problem with immigrants. People who are willing to drag themselves and their families across continents in search of a better life, are, by their very nature, highly motivated people. We have high employment in the UK (although that will almost certainly now change as a result of this clusterfuck of idiocy). I don't know whether I'd have the get up and go to leave my country and make a life elsewhere (and I probably won't have the chance to find out, if free movement stops) but I applaud those that do it. I find the whole immigration debate highly worrying. I don't want to live in a country where people are so suspicious of people who aren't like them.

If you'd like to go and live and work in an EU country after Brexit there will be very little to stop you. Get a certificate of residence (as you would have to even as an EU citizen) and then a work permit. You will then find yourself living alongside a wide range of other non-EU nationals who are there perfectly legally. 

Even as an EU citizen the biggest impediment to getting a job in another EU country is (i) the requirement to speak the language and (ii) convincing the employer why he should hire a foreigner rather than a local. This is why most of the Brits in France run gites or property websites - they can't get a full-time job.

As for xenophobia; you'll find that deplorable tendency all across Europe. It's been my experience that there's obvious and widespread racism almost everywhere except - perhaps - those Benelux countries when they're not wanting to fragment into different language groups or publish anti-Muslim cartoons. For example: How may refugee centres or hostels were attacked (burned down, grenade through the window) in the UK in 2015? None. In Germany? Over a thousand.

In truth, the UK was, is and will be far more welcoming of foreigners than many other parts of Europe. Nothing has changed in this respect except that some people think worse of their fellow citizens than they did last week because they don't share their politics.

Don't worry; be happy where you are :-)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28388
    octatonic said:
    Drew_fx said:
    I'm thinking we might move to Japan when the kid is born. Just get the fuck outta here.
    We're actively talking about leaving, putting things in place so we can if need be.
    Just a waiting game now.
    Lady BMcH and I have contingency plans in place.

I'm employed by the European arm of an American company, paid through a UK company so that I'm employed and paid tax in the UK. The UK operation would change significantly if we leave the EU; we've been told to stay calm because we'll be looked after. Our four most significant competitors are not in the same position from what industry chums have told me.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • quarkyquarky Frets: 2777
    Has war broken out in Europe yet?
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    quarky;1130520" said:
    I hope not. Seeing the hysteria on here I think we'd steal the Italian's reputation for surrendering on day 1 :))
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • skankdelvarskankdelvar Frets: 473
    Chalky said:
    quarky;1130520" said:
    I hope not. Seeing the hysteria on here I think we'd steal the Italian's reputation for surrendering on day 1 :))

It's all very unseemly.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • kjdowdkjdowd Frets: 852
    One of my employees was attacked over the weekend, He's Portuguese. Group of lads shouted at him and his mates for being Polish  and attacked them. Never thought of leaving Britain before but I'm now having a look around. Only thing keeping me here is my business.
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    I tell ya, if anyone says shit to my wife I'm gonna end up either being stabbed by retarded yoots or in jail for raping one of them.
    2reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33801
    edited June 2016
    I've distanced myself from a motorbike riding group that I am was a member of because of 'we're going to take out country back from the foreigners' football terraces style language that I heard over the last few weeks.

They don't mean me- apparently I'm an 'OK sort of immigrant' but fuck them and their intolerance.
    I won't give my tacit approval to their bullshit.
    It has somewhat isolated me out here in Oxfordshire, but I'd rather find a different group of friends to spend my time with.
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    kjdowd said:
    One of my employees was attacked over the weekend, He's Portuguese. Group of lads shouted at him and his mates for being Polish  and attacked them. Never thought of leaving Britain before but I'm now having a look around. Only thing keeping me here is my business.
    My drummer is Portuguese. Rightly worried about whether or not he's actually welcome in the UK any more.

I have so much keeping me here. What a lovely feeling being trapped on a sinking ship.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    octatonic said:
    I've distanced myself from a motorbike riding group that I am was a member of because of 'we're going to take out country back from the foreigners' football terraces style language that I heard over the last few weeks.

They don't mean me- apparently I'm an 'OK sort of immigrant' but fuck them and their intolerance.
    It has somewhat isolated me out here in Oxfordshire, but I'd rather find a different group of friends to spend my time with.
    makes me feel ashamed to be English..
    we ain't all like that
    play every note as if it were your first
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33801
    Clarky said:
    octatonic said:

we ain't all like that
    I don't blame anyone other than the people involved.

• PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7293
    Clarky said:
    octatonic said:

we ain't all like that

Quite. Some of us actually even go so far as to be pro immigration!
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11878
    The problem is that the really far right, the racist section, they would feel that this vote has given them legitimacy of their narrow-mindedness.  They would claim that over 50% of the people agree with them, even that that is not true.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • lloydlloyd Frets: 5774
    That shot on the tram in Manchester was saddening.

Manchester based original indie band Random White:

https://www.facebook.com/RandomWhite

https://twitter.com/randomwhite1

• mellowsunmellowsun Frets: 2422
    edited June 2016
    In terms of stages of grief, on Friday I was in denial, over the weekend I was angry, and now, I'm a bit depressed. What's next, bargaining or acceptance?

It's good to get it all out on a forum though! Actually, whichever way people voted, venting feelings online rather than in reality has got to be a good thing.  By the time everyone is at the acceptance stage we will all be calmer and can move forward.

That doesn't alter the fact that the UK is headed for dark times, of course.
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7293
    News conference imminently from Cameron after first talks with Brussels apparently.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5105
    Clarky;1130580" said:
    octatonic said:

They don't mean me- apparently I'm an 'OK sort of immigrant' but fuck them and their intolerance.I won't give my tacit approval to their bullshit.It has somewhat isolated me out here in Oxfordshire, but I'd rather find a different group of friends to spend my time with.

makes me feel ashamed to be English..we ain't all like that
    Just 52%
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
  • octatonic said:
    I believe that if all the politicians can bin their self interest (good luck with that) and we all work together, it will work.

Unfortunately the result seems to have brought out the worst in everybody.
    So you're saying that it was a bad idea to vote out? :)
    No what I am saying is that we all need to work together.

If the vote had gone the other way, I'd say that we all need to work together.

I did not get what I wanted from this referendum, but I know that continuously bitching about the past will not forge a brighter future.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom