So, 4 days on, were Remain scaremongering or not?

What's Hot

Comments

• quarkyquarky Frets: 2777
    edited June 2016

How many "remain" voters would actually vote to join the EU?  Surely if they were so would vote "no" to that, and "yes" to remain, they are just more concerned about how we get out?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • prh777prh777 Frets: 143
    Fretwired said:
    prh777 said:
    down 8billion on government stake in rbs and lloyds already......

It's not real money though ... the government hasn't lost £8 billion ... :-)

The markets have climbed 2.5% this morning .. things will return to normal.
    'It's a paper loss' as every IFA will tell you :)

UK bank stocks are unlikely to return to where we were pre vote.  They were increasingly under pressure from new regulatory burdens (including ringfencing).

I do not share your confidence that  markets will return to normal but we will see where the FTSE is in 6 months time and revisit our opinions.  Credit spreads are massively wider and credit leads equities currently.
  • DamianPDamianP Frets: 499
    edited June 2016
    quarky said:

How many "remain" voters would actually vote to join the EU?  Surely if they were so would vote "no" to that, and "yes" to remain, they are just more concerned about how we get out?

I would.
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    Fretwired said:
     lives on Necker Island in the Caribbean to avoid paying tax.
    He probably enjoys the weather, and the views as well.
    Nooooo, we can't have anyone thinking Richard Branson is motivated by anything other than a desire not to pay tax! ;)

Come on. If I could live in a staggeringly beautiful palace on a Caribbean island paradise, I fucking would too.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28393
    quarky said:

How many "remain" voters would actually vote to join the EU? 

What's the situation in the EU and the UK under that scenario? It wouldn't be the same as it is now.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • MkjackaryMkjackary Frets: 776
    I know quite a few people who voted remain that would rather leave now.

They see it as ripping off a plaster, it is done now, going back would just cause more damage and uncertainty.

Not me I voted leave, but a decent amount of people I know who voted remain would have prefered remain, but now it is done and finished, wouldn't vote to undo this result...

Plus, can you imagine all the extra uncertainty that would be caused by another few months of campaigning, followed by polls going one way and the other, followed by a remain vote by 0.5%. At which point leave turn around and say "alright fair enough, best of three?". 
    :))
    I'm not a McDonalds burger. It is MkJackary, not Mc'Jackary... It's Em Kay Jackary. Mkay?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I'm happy to say right now that if there is another referendum (and I'm not in favour) then unless it's more than 70-30 remain I'd definitely support best of three. And a gentle public flogging for anyone involved in publicly campaigning either way. Y'know, with some foam pipe lagging or something like that, no blood spilled, no permanent damage, but something that'll sting in the morning.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4437
    p90fool said:
    thomasross20;1129827" said:
    What about the folk who voted remain who are relieved with the decision? We simply don't know. What if we vote again and the result is still leave? 
    We didn't "vote leave", we just had a totally inconclusive opinion poll, the result of which was an almost exact split down the middle.

You can't base the future of half a continent on the concept of sneaking a late winner, it's not a bloody football match. It's simple, NOBODY WON.
    Devil's advocate: 
    If it were 52:48 for remain, do you think we'd be saying the same things? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • siremoonsiremoon Frets: 1524
    The FTSE100 has lost 50% of its value twice since 2000.  In 2009 it fell below 3900, it wasn't until 2013 that it recovered to a level equal to last night's "omg we're all doomed" close.  The markets are up today.

It may well turn into a long term bear market but you can't tell after two and a half trading days.  Yesterday's fall produced some very good value on some stocks which investors are not going to ignore.  They are in it to make money not prove a point.
    “He is like a man with a fork in a world of soup.” - Noel Gallagher
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • skankdelvarskankdelvar Frets: 473
    Brexit may have been a catalyst for these market adjustments but it wasn't the root cause.

World markets have been primed for a fall for some years now. Safe-haven gold was steadily climbing back up over the last year, pundits have been fretting about QE causing a US stock bubble and the Fed has been maintaining an opaque position in an attempt to stabilise the dollar. 

Likewise, sterling has been drifting downwards for the last few years on perceptions that it's overvalued; it would probably have hit $1.30 at some point in the next 12 months and few outside the foreign exchange markets would have noticed.

• siremoonsiremoon Frets: 1524
    Agreed a correction was overdue.  The markets were at historically high levels 15 months ago and have fallen about 15% since
    “He is like a man with a fork in a world of soup.” - Noel Gallagher
  • TroyTroy Frets: 224
    mellowsun said:
    Tbh the only people I know who are still positive about voting leave are retired or long-term unemployed.
    Are you for real? Talk about stereotyping! I voted leave and I feel positive and i'm working full time and I'm not retirement age. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • lloydlloyd Frets: 5774
    p90fool said:
    thomasross20;1129827" said:
    What about the folk who voted remain who are relieved with the decision? We simply don't know. What if we vote again and the result is still leave? 
    We didn't "vote leave", we just had a totally inconclusive opinion poll, the result of which was an almost exact split down the middle.

You can't base the future of half a continent on the concept of sneaking a late winner, it's not a bloody football match. It's simple, NOBODY WON.
    Devil's advocate: 
    If it were 52:48 for remain, do you think we'd be saying the same things? 
    The leave campaign would be in exactly the same boat as they were 2 weeks ago so yes, they'd keep going.

Manchester based original indie band Random White:

https://www.facebook.com/RandomWhite

https://twitter.com/randomwhite1

• capo4thcapo4th Frets: 4437
    It's quite staggering that lots of people have voted to make themselves less well off.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • paulmapp8306paulmapp8306 Frets: 846
    If people actually trust what MPs tell them - rather than digging in and doing their own research - they deserve to be easily mis-led.

Yes I voted Leave
    Yes I knew the initial economic likely hood.
    I knew the 350 mil was a real figure, but not net.
    I knew immigration would stop
    I did some independent research

I weighed up the down side, against the upside - factored in my own thoughts about med-long term future - then made a choice.  In truth I was 50/50 after that process.  The tipping point was (as Ive said before) the total unwillingness of the EU to consider reform when asked, knowing the British people were getting a referendum and wernt happy.  Ultimately that attitude is why I voted out. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6265
    Paul, immigration won't stop, that's just it.

And if we actually do leave, and join a single market, or some other EU trade agreement, its highly likely that immigration will be absolutely no different than today.

The whole immigration angle is a massive ruse.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 10reaction image Wisdom
  • paulmapp8306paulmapp8306 Frets: 846
    edited June 2016
    Just been looking.

FTSE 250 up 3.86% at today present
    FTSE 100 up 2.86% today
    £-$ up 1.2% on same time yesterday
    £-Euro 1% up on same time yesterday.

Fickle are the money men.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    capo4th said:
    It's quite staggering that lots of people have voted to make themselves less well off.
    Frightfully altruistic of them.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33802
    Just been looking.

FTSE 250 up 3.86% at today present
    FTSE 100 up 2.86% today
    £-$ up 1.2% on same time yesterday
    £-Euro 1% up on same time yesterday.

Fickle are the money men.
    You need to understand context.
    This is a brief rallying- everyone thinks it will continue to drop over the medium term.
    You have to look at trends over a longer period.
    This isn't a case of being fickle, it is typical in a crash for it to go down, then up a bit, then down more, then up a bit, but the overall trend will be down.
    Come back in a week and see who is right here.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • capo4thcapo4th Frets: 4437
    If people actually trust what MPs tell them - rather than digging in and doing their own research - they deserve to be easily mis-led.

Yes I voted Leave
    Yes I knew the initial economic likely hood.
    I knew the 350 mil was a real figure, but not net.
    I knew immigration would stop
    I did some independent research

I weighed up the down side, against the upside - factored in my own thoughts about med-long term future - then made a choice.  In truth I was 50/50 after that process.  The tipping point was (as Ive said before) the total unwillingness of the EU to consider reform when asked, knowing the British people were getting a referendum and wernt happy.  Ultimately that attitude is why I voted out. 

Please tell us when and how immigration will stop ?

And who's gonna stop it ? 

Most people voted leave on this promise and it was never gonna happen ever ! 

The leave campaign got more votes on 6 sound bites that they could never deliver and 52% of voters believed those sound bites.

We are a small planet connected by thousands of aeroplanes boats trains and automobiles people move around get used to it. 

We will be all happy in the EU by Christmas trust me.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom