Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Class war

What's Hot
marantz1300marantz1300 Frets: 3107
edited September 2016 in Off Topic
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4038
    Thing is, I got a gig in a band cos the fella I replaced wore sandals. 
    That wasn't a class thing. 
    It's just obvious that you don't wear sandals in a punk band.
    And if you don't know that, join an investment bank, or a folk band.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ?
  • So 'working class' people never dress well? And upper class people are always immaculately turned out? Complete bullshit, nothing to do with class at all
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • It's to do with a glass ceiling
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Any more buzz words you feel like chucking about? Shall we blue sky think it over? 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • No
    Carry on ignoring the majority of the population
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16676
    That's one industry.

In many other industries you can be CEO and still get away with smart casual.
  • Thats right.
    You don't see many public school boys working on production lines or digging a hole
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    It has more to do with which school/uni you went to and who you know not brown shoes. The BBC gets more like the Daily Mail everyday.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • Fretwired said:
    It has more to do with which school/uni you went to and who you know not brown shoes.
    Very true.  
  • Exactley.
    Wasting a  lot of talent
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    To be fair anyone cuntish enough to turn up at a City office in brown shoes should be ejected from the office as a matter of urgency. Likewise slipons, Just so wrong on so many levels. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
    edited September 2016
    ?
    The thing is, you either know about looking in the eye, a firm handshake, not wearing brown shoes in town, and not saying "toilet", and not wearing sandals in a punk band, or you don't.
    And if you don't... you don't get the gig.

• marantz1300marantz1300 Frets: 3107
    edited September 2016

Thank you for that advice.

I shall bear it in mind.

edited September 2016

I shall bear it in mind.

Just for the record, I don't approve of it; I think it's stupid and devisive. 
    But you gotta play the system.
  • randellarandella Frets: 4168
    To be fair, if you turned up for your first day as some high falutin' senior programmer at a cutting edge software house wearing a Jermyn Street shirt, tailored suit and £1,500 (black) derbys, you'd be laughed out the fucking door.

I tried to get worked up about this story earlier, but came to the conclusion that it's horses/courses.
  • randellarandella Frets: 4168
    Grunfeld said:

I shall bear it in mind.

Just for the record, I don't approve of it; I think it's stupid and decisive. 
    But you gotta play the system.
    No, I don't like it either, but I suspect the article might be overplaying it somewhat. I doubt it holds true for every job in the City. 
  • It's not just that at all.

As my brother likes to point out, even the MBA guys often last about 3 weeks before they get binned.

To quote him "The problem with them, they lack all the necessary Del-Boy spiv like qualities needed for this job."

That's probably why he's got a view from his lounge over the top pf St Pauls.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28200
    The odd thing is that the recent Canary Wharf trend is for a royal blue suit with brown shoes and brown belt.

It looks ridiculous, especially when there are three or four of you in slight variations on the theme.

Smart dress for an interview (where required) isn't complicated. Clean, polished black leather shoes, a grey suit with or without a stripe, black belt, plain white shirt, not-too-bright blue/red/green tie with a bit of pattern.

Once you get really good at what you do you can put less effort in, but the above works for any suit-interview-job.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Sporky said:

Smart dress for an interview (where required) isn't complicated. Clean, polished black leather shoes, a grey suit with or without a stripe, black belt, plain white shirt, not-too-bright blue/red/green tie with a bit of pattern.

Once you get really good at what you do you can put less effort in, but the above works for any suit-interview-job.
    This is bang on - if you're unable to understand that your appearance in an interview impacts your chances, and you want to be a banker, then you are probably in the wrong industry.

Neither class war or arcane rules are in play here, there is a strong whiff of fuckwittery though!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom