Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Class war

What's Hot

Comments

• BrizeBrize Frets: 5630
    lloyd said:

I wore a blue suit and brown shoes to a wedding this summer, I looked cool as fuck like a right spiv.
    Fixed that for you. ;)
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    @Snap, you had me until "suit and shirt without tie" which has been my staple for years. MUCH better than a loose tie or one with a knot too big (phone-selling arsehole) or too small (child who hasn't learned how ties should look). 
    Yep, big windsor knots are for football players, but small four-in-hand knots are where it's at. Check any picture of Prince Charles by way of example.

Suit without a tie isn't a great look - it looks like you couldn't be arsed to finish getting dressed or you've just rolled out of a nightclub. Nothing wrong going sans tie, but ditch the suit as well and wear slacks and a jacket.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Hmm too small... A tie knot should just fill the gap between the collar

Obama gets it - best dressed POTUS since JFK.

https://www.whitehouse.gov/sites/whitehouse.gov/files/images/twitter_cards_potus.jpg

As for tie/no tie I do agree it's much better to go further and wear a blazer rather than suit. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    I don't buy leather shoes, will I never get a job?
    My V key is broken
  • I'm gonna take a picture of my work outfit for you guys.   
    edited September 2016
    Hmm too small... A tie knot should just fill the gap between the collar

Obama gets it - best dressed POTUS since JFK.
    Sorry bud, but no sartorial points for Obama. He's cool as fuck for a POTUS but that's in spite of his dress sense, not because of it. 

Keep in mind that the size of a tie knot will depend on the material and lining of the tie. Symmetrical knots are to be avoided.

• 0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

• 0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I work in a hospital so I'm no allowed to wear a tie and have to roll my sleeves up.  It's nice and casual. 
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11319
    Business casual is appalling. It's bad enough having to have suits and casual clothes, now you need an extra load of smarter casual clothes.

I cannot be arsed to think about clothes in the morning. Sticking with the suit and tie is easy.

Absolutely. Plus, I know that if I'm wearing a tie I need to say "fuck" a lot less than I would usually do.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17650
    tFB Trader
    dchwhite said:
    Brize said:
    dchwhite said:

Silly question no doubt, but how do you use reflexive pronouns inappropriately?
    "Hello sir, I'm just calling yourself today to ask whether you might be interested in the products offered by ourselves? If interested, please get back to myself."

The sort of illiterate twaddle that seems to be endemic in call centres.

cc @Gassage
    Appreciate yourself taking the time to advise myself :)

The crazy thing is that people who talk like that are doing so to sound more sophisticated. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

The crazy thing is that people who talk like that are doing so to sound more sophisticated. 
    It's true - they somehow think it sounds more business-like and professional when nothing could be further from the truth.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28516

No one ever got binned for looking too smart.
    Not binned, but I did get taken to one side and told to stop wearing a suit (with tie) at one job; I was in a support role, and it made the general staff nervous when a suit came in to their meeting - they assumed I was a director 'cos only directors wore suits there...
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6265
    Tie knots - also depends on the collar of shirt and lapels of jacket.

Witness Sean COnnery in Dr No, sporting the knitted tie, splayed collar and 4 in hand to perfection.

Cufflinks then - I'm having a debate with myself about them. THere's a lot to be said for a buttoned cuff and to argue that links are only for dinner dress. But I lhave a lot of cufflinks. In any event, they should be restrained and not of the noveltly variety. There is nothing cool about novelty anything.
    I struggle with cufflinks too but generally tend to wear an understated silver paid.

Belts? Not to be worn with suits unless you're Italian.
  • Sporky said:

No one ever got binned for looking too smart.
    Not binned, but I did get taken to one side and told to stop wearing a suit (with tie) at one job; I was in a support role, and it made the general staff nervous when a suit came in to their meeting - they assumed I was a director 'cos only directors wore suits there...
    ha! That's ace.

I might have mentioned this before.

One of my friends pitched up to work (company next door to ours in the same building) wearing a pretty bright purple suit, with a very bright orange shirt and tie.

What are you wearing that for?
    Going to a funeral.
    Really, in that?
    It's ok - I didn't like him.

The deadpan delivery still has me in stitches.

• I like a good cufflink, although I generally have them on my desk and sleeves rolled up by 10am. I have 4 sets - one gold set were my grandfather's, and only come out for weddings, funerals and interviews; 2 carry my college crest (subtly!) and one set is made from old watch movements.  I've seen very few other cufflinks I'd actually want to wear.

As for @Sporky, I bet half his colleagues were in... short sleeved shirts... 

*shudder*
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 5006
    Brize said:
    dchwhite said:

Appreciate yourself taking the time to advise myself :)
    Yourself is very welcome!
    Hope this will help your grammar going forward...

• SporkySporky Frets: 28516
    Brize said:

If the trousers have belt loops you should be wearing a belt.

As for @Sporky, I bet half his colleagues were in... short sleeved shirts... 

*shudder*

Eurgh.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11319
    Sporky said:
    Brize said:

If the trousers have belt loops you should be wearing a belt.

Everyone over 40 should wear a belt with trousers. When nature begins to make things sag you need help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom