Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Class war

What's Hot

Comments

• Our staff handbook apparently states that men are expected to wear suit and tie in the office and that the tie may be removed on hot days.  Most folk have adopted the suit sans tie look and some have gone to shirt and trousers.

However, I'm fucking awesome at my job so have gone down to jeans, t-shirt and a hoodie if I'm not seeing a client and no-one has said a word even in my annual review.  I do, of course, still wear a suit when seeing clients.  Can't remember the last time I put a tie on for work though.  Those are reserved for weddings and funerals.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Brize said:
    Sporky said:

Or a casual shirt with the sleeves rolled up.

I think it's the short-sleeves-and-collar thing.
    Yep, I prefer to wear long-sleeve shirts with the sleeves rolled up over short-sleeved shirts. You're right - there is something off about short sleeves and a collar.
    I always think short sleeved shirt on a grown man makes him look like an overgrown school boy.  
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BloodEagleBloodEagle Frets: 5320
    edited September 2016
    JezWynd said:

Really

What part?  Got that belt in TK Maxx for £10, bloody bargain.  I was wearing my red, white and blue prod shirt today.  
    Just a liiittle bit too much crotch in that picture for me to be comfortable spending too much time examining it 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • JezWynd said:

Really

What part?  Got that belt in TK Maxx for £10, bloody bargain.  I was wearing my red, white and blue prod shirt today.  
    Just a liiittle bit too much crotch in that picture for me to be comfortable spending too much time examining it 
    I put some toilet paper down to give me a bit of a bulge there because my penis is pretty small.  
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28202
    Brize said:

Yep, I prefer to wear long-sleeve shirts with the sleeves rolled up over short-sleeved shirts. You're right - there is something off about short sleeves and a collar.
    It is downright wrong.

Also I don't like having writing on me. Polo shirts often have writing on them.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • BrizeBrize Frets: 5629
    Sporky said:

Also I don't like having writing on me.
    Yep, same here.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Sporky said:

Unless it's in rhinestones, right?
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Such a shame that Savile Row is now prison slang for the nonces wing.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28202
    Sporky said:

Unless it's in rhinestones, right?
    Obvs.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."

Are posh Tailors Paedophiles?

Are posh Tailors Paedophiles?
    No.
    Jimmy was though.
  • I'm lower class. I wear T shirts/polo shirts with elasticated waist chino type trousers and trainers.  I know my place!
  • I'm upper lower class.
    I wear steel capped boots,shorts and vests
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4309
    Brize said:
    scrumhalf said:

Everyone over 40 should wear a belt with trousers. When nature begins to make things sag you need help.
    A proper suit will have buttons for braces and a waistband adjuster for those who prefer not to wear braces, e.g. Sean Connery in this picture:

The quickest way to get laughed out of Savile Row is to ask for a suit with belt loops.
    Erm. I don't think so. How many Savile Row suits do you have? 

I have a couple. Both with belt loops. As do my tailors own trousers. 

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• BrizeBrize Frets: 5629
    edited September 2016
    @CHRISB50 said:

I have suits that some would describe as Savile Row, but I wouldn't. None of them have belt loops.

Who's your tailor?

Edit: I see from your earlier post that your suits were cut by John Kent, who's a serious guy and a proper SR tailor. I don't think it changes the fact that belt loops are not seen as particularly desirable on SR.
  • EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    I live in a country where 45 Celsius is not uncommon. Lightweight Italian is way better than tailored english in that climate. 
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    I need a belt or my trousers fall down
    My V key is broken
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4309
    Brize said:
    @CHRISB50 said:

I have suits that some would describe as Savile Row, but I wouldn't. None of them have belt loops.

Who's your tailor?

Edit: I see from your earlier post that your suits were cut by John Kent, who's a serious guy and a proper SR tailor. I don't think it changes the fact that belt loops are not seen as particularly desirable on SR.
    I think it's a case of each to their own. That's the beauty of bespoke. I had older suits cut by my dad's old tailor, who was Savile Row trained, but worked for himself in Battersea. They had side adjusters but I never got on with them. My other reason for belt loops is that I just like belts. It adds a contrasting texture against the wool. I must admit though, although I don't own any, if I had anything made in linen or cotton, I wouldn't go for belt loops. 

John's a great bloke, and as you say, a proper Savile Row tailor. He's moved around a bit over the years. Although he's always kept his Royal Warrant for Prince Phillip. He worked at Norton and Sons before setting up with Terry Haste, and Stephen Lachter (a shirt maker). Terry Haste is very good too. Ex Hunstman. Although I've never used him. I reckon they are the best value on or around The Row.

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27503
    edited September 2016
    Being a prostitute*, I find it helps to contra-dress.  For anyone speed-reading, that's not the same thing as cross-dress.  Sorry.

If I'm working somewhere where the convention is to wear a suit and tie, I generally don't.  I've walked into Board meetings before, when someone leaving (the previous agenda item) has asked whether I needed to borrow a tie.  Which was quaint.

Conversely, if it's a casual dress norm, I'll wear a suit, mainly because it tends to spook people and they're never quite sure how to respond.

*  I sell my time and expertise for money.  It might be "prostitute", it might be "mercenary", it's all the same.

But all that said, never brown in town.
    ;)
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6061
    JezWynd said:

Really

It's not often you get a selfie crotch shot on the FB. :s
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom