Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Class war

What's Hot

Comments

• EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    It's not just that at all.

As my brother likes to point out, even the MBA guys often last about 3 weeks before they get binned.

To quote him "The problem with them, they lack all the necessary Del-Boy spiv like qualities needed for this job."

That's probably why he's got a view from his lounge over the top pf St Pauls.
    FX trader?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28200

This is bang on - if you're unable to understand that your appearance in an interview impacts your chances, and you want to be a banker, then you are probably in the wrong industry.
    Also there are any number of places, M&S included, that'll kit you out for an interview with very little fuss, and with you leaving certain that you're up to the job.

It is a metric-shitload harder in some industries which don't have such simple rules.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Hey marantz, don't let these clowns shout you down. The rich break int council flats at night and absorb the life force of poor people so they can live longer and don't let anyone tell you otherwise.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I know.

I'm forever getting broken sleep, because there's a toff sucking the blood out of my throat.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    If your reasonably thin and "normally" built then M&S is fine for everything except shoes. Oxfords or Brogues with proper leather soles are worth investing in.  The thing to avoid, at all costs, is a "Chav gap" (as an example the vast space between Corbyn¨s collar and his neck). People like David Cameron, Tony Blair, Peter Mandleson, Jeremy Paxman, Jacob Rees Mogg, David Beckham, Jimmy Page, all know the value of a good suit and how to ware it. Jeremy Corbyn, Ken Clark, John Terry, Steven Gerrard, Gordon Brown and many others don´t.  
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • You really should open a Gentlemen’s outfitters.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    edited September 2016
    Evilmags said:
    If your reasonably thin and "normally" built then M&S is fine for everything except shoes. Oxfords or Brogues with proper leather soles are worth investing in.  The thing to avoid, at all costs, is a "Chav gap" (as an example the vast space between Corbyn¨s collar and his neck). People like David Cameron, Tony Blair, Peter Mandleson, Jeremy Paxman, Jacob Rees Mogg, David Beckham, Jimmy Page, all know the value of a good suit and how to ware it. Jeremy Corbyn, Ken Clark, John Terry, Steven Gerrard, Gordon Brown and many others don´t.  
    Failed I'm afraid. No investment banker I know would buy anything in M&S, except the humus and sushi packs, and would tend to go to Anderson & Sheppard in Old Burlington Street, Edward Sexton in Beauchamp Place, Huntsman in Savile Row (Gregory Peck had all his suits made there) or Henry Poole in Savile Row which has been going since the dark ages - Napoleon had suits made there and a basic two piece starts at £3K.

Don't turn up in a Boss suit ... I thought you were a serious banker ... ;-)

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • It's all going American Psycho.
    And on the subject of suits ....

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28200
    Fretwired said:

Failed I'm afraid. No investment banker I know would buy anything in M&S

We were talking about interviews.

£3k on a suit is grand if you've got £3k to splooge on a suit.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    Sporky said:
    Fretwired said:

Failed I'm afraid. No investment banker I know would buy anything in M&S

We were talking about interviews.

£3k on a suit is grand if you've got £3k to splooge on a suit.
    Daddy or mummy pays ..... I had a job in banking for 9 months in 1978 ... I met plenty of wealthy Rupert's .. we're talking investment banks not a high street branch of Barclays ..

• BrizeBrize Frets: 5629
    Evilmags said:

To be fair anyone cuntish enough to turn up at a City office in brown shoes should be ejected from the office as a matter of urgency. Likewise slipons, Just so wrong on so many levels. 
    Wis'd. Brown shoes with a business suit is the sartorial equivalent of using reflexive pronouns inappropriately - it marks you out as low rent.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

• littlegreenman < My tunes here...
  • It's to do with a glass ceiling
    That's a window, dude. You get at the shoes behind it by going through the door.

I don't think it's your class stopping you from getting a good job.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11594
    edited September 2016 tFB Trader
    Seriously - if you turn up for a job at an investment bank with brown shoes, you really don't have a clue about the job you are walking into, and reflects on a lack of research perhaps.
    And of course wearing a tie like this can help (Eton School tie)

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• dafuzzdafuzz Frets: 1522
    Yep. I'm lucky enough to work in an industry where Iron Maiden tees and adidas trainers are passable work wear.

But if I walked into a bank and the guy was wearing what I normally wear... no fucking way am I trusting my money there.

Strange, hypocritical, but true.
    All practice and no theory
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11594
    tFB Trader
    And yet the slimy "well dressed" bastards in £3k+ suits and shiny black shoes with egos the size of planets are the ones who fucked the economy

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • Not for them...just eveeyone else.
    They were bailed out and made a killing while the going was good.
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13941
    edited September 2016
    Those City slicker bankers really are Gods among us mere mortals aren't they? 

• jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12323
    psychopaths the lot of em.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"