Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Brexit legal challenge suceeds. Discuss.

What's Hot

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72668
    Jalapeno said:
    stickyfiddle said:

May can't call an election - it doesn't work like that any more. 
    If May makes iarticle50  a vote of Confidence and loses, she can I believe call a general election.
    Yes, but then I think she would have to resign as PM as well.

Fretwired said:

She can call an election - if she gets 60% of MPs to agree in a vote then we will have one.
    66% - or actually, two-thirds. I'm not sure that would get through either - unless Corbyn is stupid enough to agree, which he might be.

This is all pretty meaningless at this stage, anyway - it's going to go to the Supreme Court, as it rightly should.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    ICBM said:

Fretwired said:

She can call an election - if she gets 60% of MPs to agree in a vote then we will have one.
    66% - or actually, two-thirds. I'm not sure that would get through either - unless Corbyn is stupid enough to agree, which he might be.

This is all pretty meaningless at this stage, anyway - it's going to go to the Supreme Court, as it rightly should.
    You are correct 66% - my maths was off. Labour have said they are up for it so it looks like game on. The bookies have slashed the odds the odds on it happening in the spring to 2-1. The Supreme Court will back the High Court. It's a waste of time appealing.

An election is the only way to clear the air or May just says Brexit is off. It can't happen when the government has a majority of 10 and 20 odd MPs have said they are pro-Brexit and may or may not support you.  This dragging on will damage the UK more through uncertainty.

The only downside to staying will be the inevitable penalty to be paid. The EU will exact their revenge.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72668
    Fretwired said:

Labour have said they are up for it so it looks like game on.
    Maybe they think that an electoral disaster would help them get rid of Corbyn…

Much as I agree with a lot of his ideas and policies, I just can't see him being taken seriously as a potential PM, and I think it's highly unlikely that the result of an election would be anything other than a bigger Tory majority - although I now think the Lib Dems might do slightly better than last time.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745
    They way I see it 15,188,406 people voted to leave.  13,266,996 people voted to stay. 

This result was in England alone.

3 people have now said that for anything to legally binding some 650 people must vote on whether the UK leaves the EU.

The case is being referred to another 12 people who will have the final say on the matter.

Democracy in action.

Backdoor Children Of The Sock
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    ICBM said:
    Fretwired said:

Labour have said they are up for it so it looks like game on.
    Maybe they think that an electoral disaster would help them get rid of Corbyn…

Much as I agree with a lot of his ideas and policies, I just can't see him being taken seriously as a potential PM, and I think it's highly unlikely that the result of an election would be anything other than a bigger Tory majority - although I now think the Lib Dems might do slightly better than last time.

I think they don't have a choice .. they are between a rock and a hard place. If they don't May can call them cowards and make hay while they argue some more.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26772
    edited November 2016
    Sambostar said:
    They way I see it 15,188,406 people voted to leave.  13,266,996 people voted to stay. 

3 people have now said that for anything to legally binding some 650 people must vote on whether the UK leaves the EU.

The case is being referred to another 12 people who will have the final say on the matter.

Democracy in action.

Just to be clear....you'd rather give the government you're always complaining about carte blanche to be allowed to completely ignore the legal process and take action to unilaterally change our country's laws because a lot of people wanted it a few months ago based on rhetoric from those same politicians, yes?

That's what it boils down to. Strikes me it'd be setting a dangerous precedent for either mob rule or an effective dictatorship, depending on how it shook out. Either way, the result wouldn't be democracy.

On the other hand, what's been decided today is that a) the government have to obey the law, and b) our elected representatives (we live in a representative democracy, remember, not an absolute one) get to decide whether the deal we end up with is good enough for the people rather than accepting whatever the EU decide to give us. I'd have thought you'd be in favour of that.

Oh, and those "3 people"? You can add most of the legal profession to that, too. Y'know, those damned experts nobody likes.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745
    I don't always complain about the government.  Mob rule sounds a move in the right direction.
    Backdoor Children Of The Sock
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24657
    Sambostar said:

Democracy in action.

No.

It's not whether the UK leaves the EU, it's to ensure there is a parliamentary majority on HOW the UK leaves.

Even the most rabid of leavers can imagine a condition so bad that would cause them to change their position.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2933
    The sooner all this bullshit is done with, the better. I just want to bum everyone and move on.
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Sambostar said:

Democracy in action.

No.

It's not whether the UK leaves the EU, it's to ensure there is a parliamentary majority on HOW the UK leaves.

Even the most rabid of leavers can imagine a condition so bad that would cause them to change their position.
    Yeah, like no more twiglets!!
  • EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    I can really imagine the SNP putting up with this shit had they won their referendum. Being part of the greater German empire is a fucking dumb idea. Trying to subvert democracy is even worse. Both judges are well documented europhiles. Facists in action and deed. A vote is a vote.  The result should be respected. 

The sight of the UK progressive left defending an institution that has plunged millions into a level of poverty not seen since the 1950s in the UK is the best proof of their utter hypocrisy,  group think and general stupidity. Just like the morons who liked the Soviets, Che, Fidel ect. Go walk through a Greek or Portuguese shanty town. That is the EU amd it's policy. 
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    edited November 2016
    axisus said:
    Could this lead to a Brentrance?
    I would want:
    Full tariff free access to Single Market
    Free movement
    Financial Passporting
    Customs Union
    Not in the Euro
    Not in Schengen.

Where would you get a deal like that?  s

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Mags: confusing law and economics once again.

Presumably the QCs for the govt are also europhiles because they agree the courts have jurisdiction? 

You've gone full daily mail.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33848
    I checked out Britain First's Facebook page earlier.
    It is pretty hilarious watching them vent their spleen, although their spelling is poor.
    Why do so many of these people seem unable to correctly use 'their', 'there' or 'they're'?

The Daily Mail site is pretty hilarious as well.

• Evilmags said:
    I can really imagine the SNP putting up with this shit had they won their referendum. Being part of the greater German empire is a fucking dumb idea. Trying to subvert democracy is even worse. Both judges are well documented europhiles. Facists in action and deed. A vote is a vote.  The result should be respected. 

The sight of the UK progressive left defending an institution that has plunged millions into a level of poverty not seen since the 1950s in the UK is the best proof of their utter hypocrisy,  group think and general stupidity. Just like the morons who liked the Soviets, Che, Fidel ect. Go walk through a Greek or Portuguese shanty town. That is the EU amd it's policy. 

Let the whinging commence.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    Rocker said:
    Sambostar said:
    Yeah the pound is up, from a one day slump from 1:22 to 1:25 all because of a High Court Ruling. 

Yeah of course.
    Up what?
    Shit creek. 

Although thanks to m'learned friends, a paddle is dimly discernable in the distance, and may be floating our way. 
  • cruxiformcruxiform Frets: 2568
    octatonic said:

As always! It's gone into meltdown today :D
  • cruxiform said:
    octatonic said:

As always! It's gone into meltdown today :D

Loving the Daily Mail comments today. CIVIL WAR!
    I'm just a Maserati in a world of Kias.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33848
    What is hilarious is *they* are equating this decision to mean that Parliament will circumvent triggering article 50 as though it is some liberal conspiracy.

Here is the full judgment.

It is careful and considered.

There is nothing subversive or against democracy in it at all

http://www.bailii.org/cgi-bin/format.cgi?doc=/ew/cases/EWHC/Admin/2016/2768.html&query=(Gina)+AND+(Miller)